Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   What brand of defensive ammo do you use? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/what-brand-defensive-ammo-do-you-use-72762/)

motomyfoto 09-19-2012 09:40 AM

When I first started to carry my 9mm I just went out and bought the cheapest self defense ammo I could find which was the federal hollow point. After some thought I decided i shouldn't short change my safety. So I bought a box of Speer Gold Dot after reading a few forums about ammo. Then recently I bought a sig 238 shooting the .380 and I wasn't thinking and I bought a box of the federal hollow point again. But with that ammo I was having a problem getting the gun to chamber a round so I went back to the dealer I bought the gun from and they recommended I get the Hornady Critical Defense. Even with that I was having problems getting my rounds to chamber. But then I learned there was a malfunction with the operator that problem was easily remedied.
I'm curious what brands everyone is using and why? Do you prefer a higher grain or a lower grain for your self defense needs, and again why?

kytowboater 09-19-2012 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by motomyfoto
Hen I first started to carry

I use hornady.....

Rarity 09-19-2012 10:14 AM

Hornady, Hornady!!!

Cracker7 09-19-2012 10:18 AM

Another vote for Hornady.

msup752 09-19-2012 11:58 AM

I use Double Tap or Corbon solid copper. It is the only bullet design that has penetration and expansion advantages over conventional jacketed lead core HP's.
I have some guns that can't use the +P copper loads so I use Federal HST 147 gr for penetration and noise. It is subsonic and quieter. Also, most lighter bullets are loaded +P. Speer gold dot in 147 (9mm by the way) is a good second choice. Third place is Golden Sabre. They are relatively cheap.

gollygee 09-19-2012 01:43 PM

Federal HST. Videos I've seen show it to have excellent expansion & good penetration in 9mm, .40S&W & .45ACP, even from short barreled compacts. It's sold in 50 round boxes at a price not much higher than the 20 round boxes of other brands without sacrificing anything in reliability or performance.

-06 09-19-2012 01:51 PM

Using Hornady at present but have used Winchester Ranger(380) with good results. Shot a "cooter" (snapping turtle-alligator turtle) and the bullet expanded perfectly. It "flower pedaled" out nicely to almost triple its diameter. Still use "Starfires" in the 45s.

DoyleTheDog 09-19-2012 04:47 PM

hornady for me

BeyondTheBox 09-19-2012 09:27 PM

CCI minimag and standard 9mm luger, either rem or win. I don't waist money on HP because my 9mm is a derringer and I quickly found out, because of barrell length, they don't expand.

hardluk1 09-19-2012 09:57 PM

speer gold dots from georgia arms