Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > What is the best 9mm or .22lr for CCW?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2009, 02:19 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 72 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 539

A local Orange Beach cop got into a problem with a couple of rednecks at a Pensacola bar, he tried to leave, the rednecks followed him out of the bar & pulled a knife, cop pulled out a .22 semi-auto...redneck was stupid enough to keep coming, cop shot him...bad guy goes to hospital, good cop gets award.

It's still effective, even if it's "Only" a .22lr.

Better than a knife, at least

But the smallest round I would ever personally carry...would be the .22 Magnum stuck in a Grendel P-30...30 rounds of .22 Magnum per magazine, and I carry 2 spare mags Sustained fire is quite nice.

Old 01-31-2009, 02:50 AM   #22

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by big shrek View Post
A local Orange Beach cop got into a problem with a couple of rednecks at a Pensacola bar, he tried to leave, the rednecks followed him out of the bar & pulled a knife, cop pulled out a .22 semi-auto...redneck was stupid enough to keep coming, cop shot him...bad guy goes to hospital, good cop gets award.
ONLY because the DA scarlet collar brought a knife to a gun fight!

The LEO is a lucky SOB that the BG's didn't tag team him.

He could have gone from hero to zero in short order!!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-31-2009, 03:13 AM   #23

Liked 39 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default .22lr is not a good caliber for defense!

I own a Walther PP in .22lr, and never would use it for other thing but plinking...
If you shoot using a .22lr to an assailant who is under the effect of drugs, the most probable thing that gonna happen is that you'll obtain to a pissed off assailant. To me, the marginal calibre for defense is 9x17mm or .380ACP, neither .25ACP nor .32ACP are suitables calibres for defense.

“You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that, my dear friend, is the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Dr. Adrian Rogers”

TELL CHAVEZ NOW! CLICK HERE

Old 02-01-2009, 05:35 PM   #24

Default 38 Spl

Come on guys and girls. This is a novice shooter. They need a wheel gun, period. 38 and or 357, but stopping power and quick recovery (double or single action as needed) for a second shot. Stay away from any semi-automatic until you master the basics of handgun shooting and operation. The semi is a different animal and it will get you KILLED if your not aware of the operation of one, PERIOD!!!!!!!
Stay away from a 22 except for practice. ideally a pistol in the same class and maker to learn with is best, then move to a larger caliber for yourself defense weapon?!? This way the feel and handling is the same except for the ammo and recoil. JMO
Just so everyone is aware. I teach firearm training courses with the local youth/women and authority groups in the area.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:38 PM   #25

Short Answer: 9mm trumps the .22. I used to carry a 9mm as my CCW. While I'd rather have that hands down than a knife or my admittedly non existent hand to hand abilities, I decided to carry a .38 revolver for the following reasons:

1. Stopping power. .38 is a larger piece of metal that moves slower
2. Bystanders. I'm not likely to have to defend myself in the stix where most people are honest and hard working, it will be in the City or Suburbs. A 9mm is likely to actually go through the bad guy and I don't want to hurt anyone else. God forbid I miss and hit someone's house or business, the bullet will go through the wall.
3. Reliability. I feel much more comfortable knowing that there is next to zero% chance the revolver will fail. I've put a lot of rounds through the automatic, and I'm still not at ease.

If you are locked into getting a 9mm, consider getting it in revolver form (taurus makes one I think) or go with one that won't destroy your hand. I'm a big taurus guy and they make several that are smaller, but still well constructed for the round it fires. Good luck.

P.S. as for a .22, the Walther p22 is the best .22 auto! BUT only for plinking.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:40 PM   #26

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

If your hellbent on buying a handgun in 9mm, I would suggest a compact S&W M&P 9. I would also suggest a revolver in .38 special or .357 mag. Either will take a BG down, fast. We've beat this to death a bunch of times, but a .357 mag is nice because you can practice with less expensive .38 special ammo and pack heavy duty .357 mag rounds for carry.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 02-20-2009, 12:32 AM   #27

Well if you are not the best shot then you may want to try this.

super_shorty_870.jpg  

Old 09-25-2011, 01:11 AM   #28

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

I see lots of people beating up on .22 pistols. Most have no idea what they are talking about. More people are shot and killed with .22 pistols than any other caliber. I do have facts to back this up. Bigger is not always better if you cant hit anything. A .22 will give you a faster 2nd shot and will be more accurate with the second hit. If you are a senior a Keltec pf9 or .380 would be a bad buy. You will not be able to rack the slide easily, has only a 6+1 shot capability. I do have a Beretta model .380 with the tip up barrel. No longer in production, but a great weapon. Good balance, and easy to shoot. I do carry that plus my .22.

Here is a link to an interesting comparison. An Alternate Look at Handgun Stopping Power | Buckeye Firearms Association

Old 09-25-2011, 02:07 AM   #29

man, you pulled this 2 1/2 year out thread out of the grave. it is dangerous to imply that a 22 is in any way a caliber that should be used for self defense. anyone might read this and actually take you seriously. Short of a bb gun, a pellet gun, or possibly a blow gun, the 22 lr is the least competent caliber available today. Although it is better than nothing, why not carry a bigger caliber? A .25, .32 , or .380 are vastly superior to a .22. (Even these are considered among many to be lacking) They should be limited to BUGs unless you absolutely cannot carry anything else.

Old 09-25-2011, 02:10 AM   #30

I don't recommend anything smaller than 9mm. Preferably 40 or 45. Criminals usually carry big gun with a lot of power and no mercy.