What is the best 9mm or .22lr for CCW? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > What is the best 9mm or .22lr for CCW?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2009, 03:36 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

You'd be an idiot to carry a .22 LR for self defense. Please do some research on terminal ballistics and fatal shooting. You'll find that 9x19mm is the absolute minimum for defense, and it may even take a couple shots to completely decapitate an attacker.

Read some of the information in this thread and take it to heart before even visiting a gun shop: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/i-hate-bother-you-all-but-here-my-gun-n00b-thread-9579/

The decision to carry a firearm is a decision to take a human life and isn't one to be taken lightly.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 01-27-2009, 03:41 PM   #12

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post

The decision to carry a firearm is a decision to take a human life and isn't one to be taken lightly.
Q.F.T.

You are either mentally prepared to use the tool as it was designed, or you have no business carrying said tool. There is no in-between on this situation.

JD

Old 01-27-2009, 04:25 PM   #13

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Have you considered a revolver? They are easier to handle than a semi-auto, although it takes more practice to fire them accurately in double action. But, with some practice even the small 2" snubbies can be surprisingly accurate.

I've got a soft spot for the S&W 640, I love the little chunk of steel and I'm still amazed at the groups an inexperienced shooter like me can get at 10 or 15 meters. There are lighter ones, but I like the steel frame and don't mind a little heft. I carry mine at my store (in a very anti-gun area) all day long and hardly notice it.

If it's going to be your only self defense gun for a while, I think you should go with something a bit bigger than a pocket pistol or a J frame revolver. Something like 3" Ruger SP101 might be a better all around revolver choice (I've got a J frame fetish, but I know that many people don't enjoy long training sesions with them), if you prefer a semi-auto take a look at CZ's line. If the CZ 75 is too big, you can get one of the compact models.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:51 PM   #14

Liked 39 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I suggest an Springfield Armory XD9 sub-compact or a Taurus Millenium Pro in 9mm.... also a Bersa Thunder .380

“You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that, my dear friend, is the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Dr. Adrian Rogers”

TELL CHAVEZ NOW! CLICK HERE

Old 01-27-2009, 07:29 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Q.F.T.

You are either mentally prepared to use the tool as it was designed, or you have no business carrying said tool. There is no in-between on this situation.

JD
And as such, you need to carry a weapon that is chambered in a round that is capable of taking a human life with as few shots as necessary.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Old 01-27-2009, 08:34 PM   #16

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Kel-Tec and Kahr Arms make some good concealed carry 9mm pistols.

Worth looking into, at least.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:38 PM   #17

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
And as such, you need to carry a weapon that is chambered in a round that is capable of taking a human life with as few shots as necessary.

Let it go, let it go - Not everyone was born unto the Earth to carry a 1911 in .45 ACP. Just consider yourself among the Enlightened. The sooner you admit you have a problem, the healing can begin matt.

JD

Old 01-30-2009, 02:46 AM   #18

Quote:
You'll find that 9x19mm is the absolute minimum for defense, and it may even take a couple shots to completely decapitate an attacker.
Dude, how many times are you gonna shoot the perp?

‘‘It is not the function of our government to keep the
citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the
citizen to keep the government from falling into error.’’

— Justice Robert H. Jackson, the chief prosecutor of
the surviving Nazi leaders at Nuremberg, Germany.

Old 01-30-2009, 03:02 AM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stainless View Post
Dude, how many times are you gonna shoot the perp?
The only way to drop a zombie is to remove the head from the body.

Roger Waters

Old 01-30-2009, 12:21 PM   #20

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Both?

It sounds like you are a beginning shooter. If so, you may want to get a .22 caliber pistol to help you learn to shoot. The .22 doesn't have much recoil and ammunition is dirt cheap. You also won't acquire a "flinch" anticipating the recoil of a .22-caliber pistol. The .22 really isn't a good defense round because it doesn't have much stopping power. You could shoot somebody multiple times with a .22 and they may still be able to hurt you before they collapse.

The 9mm round is a much more effective round for self-defense and it is also relatively inexpensive to shoot. The recoil of a 9mm is fairly mild in a regular full-sized handgun and shouldn't intimidate your wife too much. Since a 9mm doesn't quite have the stopping power of a .45, you'll want to read up and find out which 9mm rounds are best for self-defense. You'll probably want some kind of hollow point. Any super small handgun in a serious caliber will have pretty stout recoil.

You might consider starting with a .22, learning to shoot well, and renting larger 9mm pistols at your local range until you find one that you are comfortable shooting. I really like my Smith & Wesson SW9VE, but many people say that it has a heavy trigger pull. It is also a fairly full-sized pistol and might be more of a challenge to conceal.

A Handgun Review: The Smith & Wesson SW9VE Enhanced Sigma 9mm Semi-Automatic Pistol - Associated Content

Good luck!