Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   What is the best 9mm or .22lr for CCW? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/what-best-9mm-22lr-ccw-10316/)

mflorioiii 01-26-2009 04:52 PM

What is the best 9mm or .22lr for CCW?

:confused:

What would be the better of choices between the two... a 22lr handgun or a 9mm Ruger type handgun for concealed carry?

First, my wife and I are leaning towards 9mm because of the stopping power of a 9mm..

I like the 22lr because recoil is less and easier to hit the mark, The ammo is inexpensive as are the princes for that type of firearm.

We have both ammo types already and want to stay with those 2 types of ammo. Unless you know of a handgun that will fire 762x39 rifle rounds :) Easier to stock up on those types.

I've applied for my CCW as well as my wife, just wondering what would be the best weapon of choice for Conceal Carry?

Please help... I want to get soon before people make it harder for that to happen.

MFLORIOIII

canebrake 01-26-2009 05:01 PM

Unless either of you are hitmen for the mob i'd stay away from the 22.

spittinfire 01-26-2009 06:32 PM

+1...If you want something you can both shoot I'd concider the 9, maybe a 380, but I wouldn't go any smaller. If you or she, are new to firearms don't rule out a nice revolver. A small 38 is very concealable and there are good rounds for it. They're easier to use and gain comfort with which is key in self defense. If you would ever have to use it you don't want to have to think about what you're doing.

Dillinger 01-26-2009 06:39 PM

What's better ice cream - chocolate, vanila or strawberry??

Too wide open of a question, but I agree with cane that a .22lr has no business being your PRIMARY C.C. Weapon. As a back up weapon, it's still a little iffy, but that is as a back-up, not as a primary.

9mm is a good cartridge for personal defense. Not great, not a man stopper, but it is a good cartridge for self defense if you load it with 124gr or 135gr bullets.

As for a choice in weapon? Just too many variables. Have you been to the range and have you rented a few types of weapons that interest you?

That would be the best advice we could give you - go and rent a few and find out what you like in 2 or 3 models, then come back and get some opinions of those weapons and their effectiveness/reliability...

Best of luck -

JD

mflorioiii 01-26-2009 10:33 PM

Thanks Guys,

We were looking into getting a Kel Tec PF9. Small and easly concealable. A friend of mine loves the Kel Tec family of firearms. Since we new to firearms. But I Think like you suggested, go rent one and shoot to see how they feel. that would be the best bet. I personal found of Ruger and have a SR9 ... a little too big for conceal.

Thanks!

any other suggestions would be nice to look into when I go. Just want to make sure I don't purchase something and find out that the gun has problems down the road.

MFLORIOIII

Dillinger 01-27-2009 12:26 AM

Okay - I NEVER suggest this - but if you are not proficient with firearms, then I would recommend either the Springfield XD series, or the ( God Help me ) Glock series.

These are striker fired weapons, which means that both the firing pin and the "hammer" ( which is a mis-nomer in this case ) are much closer to the top of the handle/grip. This leads to better accuracy for SOME novice shooters. They are also pretty much Novice-Proof.

Look - I hate tupperware guns, but if you don't have a ton of experience with shooting, and gun maintenence, either of these weapons is for you. They will run dry, wet, used, new, clean, dirty, etc. All you have to do is point and pull the exceptionally long trigger pull to put rounds on target.

Now, if training and cash are not conditions, then there are only two choices in my world:

1) 1911

2) Browning Hi Power

Anything else is from a realm that JD does NOT easily endorse.....

JD

spittinfire 01-27-2009 12:38 AM

Please don't buy a PF9 as your only gun. That little 9 will beat the crap out of your hand. A short time at the range with this gun will make you want to put it away and hope you never have to use it. I personally LOVE XDs...they are accurate and reasonably priced. Along with the things JD mentioned. PS...I HATE GLOCKS!

Again I wuould support a small relover. If you're on a budget, look at Taurus, a small 38 special will help you both get started in the pistol world. It will also be more reliable, just as accurate and just as deadly as the PF9.

spittinfire 01-27-2009 12:51 AM

I forgot to add the XD sub compact 9mm(also comes in 40 which I don't like) is almost the same size as the PF9 and it is an exponentionally better weapon. I held mine up to a PF9 this week and it was only a 1/4" longer(eye balled).

McNabb11b 01-27-2009 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mflorioiii (Post 65613)
:confused:

Unless you know of a handgun that will fire 762x39 rifle rounds :) Easier to stock up on those types.

MFLORIOIII

Not a 7.62 but still a military rifle round Section Firearms and Shot - Arcimbold EuroBusiness - DVD - Multimedia

canebrake 01-27-2009 07:48 AM

Wear an overcoat; :D

http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/p...ACP/762pis.jpg