You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

Well, decided I want to start carrying. S&W Shield 9mm came shortly thereafter!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2015, 06:49 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Well, decided I want to start carrying. S&W Shield 9mm came shortly thereafter!

Well I'm taking the course to get my carry permit on Saturday after months of toying with the idea and training with my handgun. Naturally out of anticipation, I ended up with a brand new M&P Shield 9 today after thorough research and side by side comparisons. The gun was on sale for $389, and I snagged the Sticky holster for another $22. I have to say, I'm impressed by how it feels both in my hands and holstered inside the waistline. I can't wait to try it out, I'm used to much larger handguns such as the Glock 34 pictured next to the Shield. Will report back with range results as soon as possible!

Well, decided I want to start carrying. S&W Shield 9mm came shortly thereafter! - Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection
Well, decided I want to start carrying. S&W Shield 9mm came shortly thereafter! - Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection

Also I must say I am very impressed with the fit and finish of this gun. What a gorgeous and well thought out product.

Curious to hear feedback on the holster/other options you know of, as well as any helpful tips to help me get comfortable carrying, etc.
MisterMcCool Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-07-2015, 11:13 AM   #2
I used to play keyboards, but now ...
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5220 Times on 3068 Posts
Likes Given: 4353

There will always be an occasional bad story. But most of what I've heard of M&P Shield is good.

If you are new to concealed carry, check out some of the sticky threads in this subforum. Serious food for thought there.

Look for an IWB mag pouch. Sticking the spare mag in your pocket makes it hard to get out in a hurry. Or 511 makes pants with small pockets IWB that would be perfect for spare mags.
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.
Generalizations are (almost) always bad.
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/9th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-7-8-9-2017-a-121011/#post1814686

Last edited by Balota; 05-07-2015 at 11:19 AM.
dango Likes This 
Old 05-07-2015, 11:11 PM   #3

Liked 23 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I carry my Shield 9 in a G-Code Incog appendix holster. I'm not a large guy, but it is concealable and comfortable with shorts and a T-shirt. I can also wear this holster with nicer clothes, since it's tuckable. I like OWB mag carriers myself, because I'm usually toting two extra 8 rounders.

Shields are great pistols, My wife and I recently shot a classifier in IDPA with ours and they did great. Have fun with yours.

Thomas Jefferson

Seen on Bumper Sticker:

I may be an old dog
But I can still bury a bone

Old 05-09-2015, 03:39 AM   #4
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3599 Times on 1982 Posts
Likes Given: 1042

I do not have large hands and I had to put a rubber sleeve on the grip of my Shield. The grip was just too thin. It is much more controllable for me now. I am looking at the Talon grip wraps to replace the rubber sleeve. They thicken the grips and eliminate slippage.
http://talongungrips.com/grips/smith-and-wesson/shield.html

Old 05-10-2015, 06:53 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4076 Times on 2477 Posts
Likes Given: 22773

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota View Post
There will always be an occasional bad story. But most of what I've heard of M&P Shield is good.

If you are new to concealed carry, check out some of the sticky threads in this subforum. Serious food for thought there.

Look for an IWB mag pouch. Sticking the spare mag in your pocket makes it hard to get out in a hurry. Or 511 makes pants with small pockets IWB that would be perfect for spare mags.
Great advice in those stickys.

Another thought on the mag pouch, flip phone style cell phone case. lends in on the belt, and folks think nothing of it, as it is a common place for a smaller cell phone. just go to WalMart with your spare mag, and check the fit on a few of them to see what works best. Get one with strong Velcro and a good belt clip, and you are good to go.
If I have to explain why I ride, you wouldn't understand. Explaining sex to an alien would be easier than explaining the feeling, one that boils all that is going on in your life down to what really matters each time you are in The Wind. All I can say is, Life is not Life without it.

Old 05-11-2015, 04:45 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 273 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 197

Congrats...mp 40 compact is my daily carry, looked at shield but will give up comfort for the extra round

Old 05-15-2015, 02:59 AM   #7

Liked 226 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 166

I have had my Shield for about a year and I really like it. A couple weeks ago I put on some Talon grips, wow what a difference for $20 bucks...

Old 05-19-2015, 05:59 PM   #8
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3599 Times on 1982 Posts
Likes Given: 1042

Quote:
Originally Posted by john300k View Post
I have had my Shield for about a year and I really like it. A couple weeks ago I put on some Talon grips, wow what a difference for $20 bucks...
I put the Talons on yesterday and it does make a difference. They are $17.99 shipped from Talon. It is in my right front pocket as I post this.

http://talongungrips.com/grips/smith-and-wesson/shield.html

Last edited by JTJ; 05-19-2015 at 06:03 PM.

Old 05-25-2015, 07:43 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 132 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 256

Congrats on the Shield. Back when I got into CCW they were hard to find. Right now the SA XDS-9mm is my preferred CCW. Since you are starting out in this handgun, self defense arena, consider taking some good self defense handgun classes. I also recommend you check out the many free YouTube videos made by Massad Ayoob, a world-class instructor in handgun use and self defense, who has recorded training sessions in Judicious Use of Force, Shoot to Live, Home Invasion, Preparation for Home Defense, and What to Do After a Shooting. Just Google his name and these topics and the YouTubes should show up. Very good instructional information from an expert, and free.

Here is a very good technical review of self defense ammo, for when you are ready to consider this:
http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm

This is an informative review by a doctor of different gunshot wounds effects; we all need to be aware of this real-life information:
http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/2012/08/26/doctor-talks-about-gunshot-wounds/
Browning Citori Crossover 12-G O/U,
Mossberg 91 28" 12-G, Hawk 982 12-G HD
NRA Life Member, Scottish American Military Society Life Member, Oath Keeper

Old 06-02-2015, 07:47 PM   #10

Congratulations on the Shield. I've had a Shield .40 for about a year, great little gun that acts like a big gun. I've got several holsters for it including a Sticky like you showed above. Far and away favorite though is my Lobo Gun Leather enhanced pancake OWB. Living in Florida, a button-down tailored to be worn un-tucked doesn't attract a second look and it covers the holster/Shield perfectly. FAR more comfortable than any IWB I've tried. Some Talon Grips enhance controllability while not making the gun noticeably thicker. (The thinness is, after all, a major positive for the gun.)