weight of law? - Page 2


Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > weight of law?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 12:25 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,036
Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenz View Post
One thing I've always wondered is what would happen if you had your gun where law says not allowed. (Such as a school here) and a horrible situation arose (shooter came onto campus and started killing) and you pulled your gun and eliminated the threat. Saving all those kids (and others) lives... I often wonder how the aftermath of that would go down for the (in my eyes) HERO
You know, that would be a great legal question here in GA. As we can technically have a gun on school property as long as we don't depart the car and are just picking up a child in the drive through lane. We also have a law that prohibits criminal and civil action against a person who uses a firearm in a defensive manner. So, if you had to use your firearm while picking up your child at the school in the drive through lane, would they afford you the protection of the law designed to keep you from criminal and civil suits?


__________________

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

GeneralPatton is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:37 AM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
beenz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 32
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralPatton

You know, that would be a great legal question here in GA. As we can technically have a gun on school property as long as we don't depart the car and are just picking up a child in the drive through lane. We also have a law that prohibits criminal and civil action against a person who uses a firearm in a defensive manner. So, if you had to use your firearm while picking up your child at the school in the drive through lane, would they afford you the protection of the law designed to keep you from criminal and civil suits?
Exactly. I wonder how it would play out. Or even if one was to go on campus to pick up their child or what not. And technically broke the law by carrying their gun. But then saved the day from a lunatic that came to cause harm.


__________________
beenz is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:45 AM   #13
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,036
Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenz View Post
Exactly. I wonder how it would play out. Or even if one was to go on campus to pick up their child or what not. And technically broke the law by carrying their gun. But then saved the day from a lunatic that came to cause harm.
I'd guess that as long as you got a gun friendly jury, you'd never get convicted if the DA even decided to pursue them. Though most DA's wouldn't want to loose their job at the next election for charging someone who saved children.
__________________

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

GeneralPatton is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:35 AM   #14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
beenz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 32
Default

So basically when we go to gun free zones we're all stuck in the dilemma of "obeying the law and be at the mercy of the criminals". Or "disobey the law but be able to protect ourself and others".... crappy

__________________
beenz is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:02 AM   #15
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,709
Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenz View Post
So basically when we go to gun free zones we're all stuck in the dilemma of "obeying the law and be at the mercy of the criminals". Or "disobey the law but be able to protect ourself and others".... crappy
well fortunately, many schools are changing from Gun Free Zones to Gun Friendly Zones. a few here in Texas are and some other states as well. the trend is changing and people are seeing that after the Sandy Hook school shooting, that GFZ's don't work at keeping their children safe.
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:17 AM   #16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
beenz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 32
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

well fortunately, many schools are changing from Gun Free Zones to Gun Friendly Zones. a few here in Texas are and some other states as well. the trend is changing and people are seeing that after the Sandy Hook school shooting, that GFZ's don't work at keeping their children safe.
To where you can go onto the campus armed?. I'm in AZ. We have to leave them in the vehicle
__________________
beenz is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:19 AM   #17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
beenz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 32
Default

Also, with my kids school, I go to their classroom to pick them up. That's another reason why this topic is on my brain about actually being on the campus and not just in the parking lot

__________________
beenz is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:29 AM   #18
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,709
Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenz View Post
To where you can go onto the campus armed?. I'm in AZ. We have to leave them in the vehicle
i don't about outsiders carring onto campus, but a few school districts are making it legal for some of the teachers and administrators to carry in school if they have a CC permit. is this a step in the right direction? yes it is! many more are giving it more and more thought.

check this thread out i started.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/another-texas-school-may-allow-concealed-carry-81571/
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:39 AM   #19
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
beenz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 32
Default

Awesomeness

__________________
beenz is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:02 PM   #20
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,036
Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
well fortunately, many schools are changing from Gun Free Zones to Gun Friendly Zones. a few here in Texas are and some other states as well. the trend is changing and people are seeing that after the Sandy Hook school shooting, that GFZ's don't work at keeping their children safe.
Yea, that's Texas. I haven't heard of any other localities making such changes. There are some college level campuses that you can do such, but I've never seen a Gun Free Zone change to Gun Friendly anywhere. And even if they did, there are so many burning hoops to jump through to do it lawfully that if you so much as farted while walking with a gun on you you'd be breaking the law. It's just to complicated


__________________

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

GeneralPatton is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Weight? BeyondTheBox Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection 15 01-20-2013 05:21 AM
.223 bullet weight krisko09 General Rifle Discussion 12 07-01-2012 03:36 AM
Weight Loss doctherock The Club House 15 05-26-2011 03:34 AM
Pistols by weight? BlindOldMan General Handgun Discussion 16 04-02-2011 03:29 PM
Added Weight explodingcannon AR-15 Discussion 6 12-29-2007 10:03 PM