Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > weight of law?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 02:11 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default weight of law?

Do no firearms signs carry any weight of law in Georgia? Im sitting in the doctor's office with my son and i have seen 4 no weapons signs since i walked in. Can they do anything more than ask me to leave? Im carrying regardless just curious of the extent of the consequences in a worst case scenario, like say i actually have to use my weapon in this or any other weapon free zone.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-04-2013, 03:57 PM   #2

Liked 2149 Times on 1450 Posts
Likes Given: 1172

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandinm380 View Post
Do no firearms signs carry any weight of law in Georgia? Im sitting in the doctor's office with my son and i have seen 4 no weapons signs since i walked in. Can they do anything more than ask me to leave? Im carrying regardless just curious of the extent of the consequences in a worst case scenario, like say i actually have to use my weapon in this or any other weapon free zone.
A no gun sign is only good on pvt property (not talking Govt property)-
Its the right of any bussiness owner to post it & can ask you to leave--
Unless you show your azz no other action shud be taken-

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 02-04-2013, 04:00 PM   #3

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

So as long as i leave if asked to do so im peachy? Not that anyone will ever see my NAA mini

Old 02-04-2013, 04:03 PM   #4

Liked 2149 Times on 1450 Posts
Likes Given: 1172

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandinm380 View Post
So as long as i leave if asked to do so im peachy? Not that anyone will ever see my NAA mini
1st if concealed shud never be a issue
2nd yes you shud be peachy if you politely leave with a "Sorry, i'll never darken your anti gun door again!"

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 02-04-2013, 04:07 PM   #5

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

If i had somewhere else to go i would but unfortunately all the hospitals and doctors offices are anti gun here and it is concealed as concealed can get, i was mainly wondering what would happen if i had to draw my firearm in one of the many anti gun establishments in my area.

Old 02-04-2013, 04:10 PM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 210 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 116

from the handgunlaw.us website:
"“No Firearm” signs in Georgia have no force of law unless they are posted on property that is specifically
mentioned in State Law as being off limits to those with a Permit/License to Carry. If you are in a place not
specifically mentioned in the law that is posted and they ask you to leave, you must leave. If you refuse to
leave then you are breaking the law and can be charged. Even if the property is not posted and you are asked
to leave you must leave. Always be aware of the possibility that responding Police Officers who may have
been called without your knowledge and may not know the laws on trespass etc. could arrest you even if you
are within the law.'

Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56

Old 02-04-2013, 04:26 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2176 Times on 1120 Posts
Likes Given: 188

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvsafe View Post
from the handgunlaw.us website:
"“No Firearm” signs in Georgia have no force of law unless they are posted on property that is specifically mentioned in State Law as being off limits to those with a Permit/License to Carry. If you are in a place not specifically mentioned in the law that is posted and they ask you to leave, you must leave. If you refuse to leave then you are breaking the law and can be charged. Even if the property is not posted and you are asked to leave you must leave. Always be aware of the possibility that responding Police Officers who may have been called without your knowledge and may not know the laws on trespass etc. could arrest you even if you are within the law.'
http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/georgia.pdf
NRA Life Member

"Why can't I just eat my waffle?" B. H. Obama. (Sort of representative of his whole tenure, when you think about it.)

Old 02-05-2013, 09:24 PM   #8
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 99 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I live in GA. Yes, they have no force. Yes, if they ask you to leave then you should. However, the most simple way to avoid such is to not advertise you are carrying in anyway shape or form. I carry everywhere I go. Sometimes on my belt, others on my ankle. I try and avoid doing business with places that aren't gun friendly, however sometimes you find out after you are already there. In that case I just remain silent about it. I've never been asked to leave anywhere I've been. The only place I've ever even shown I was carrying was in an Academy Sports and that was simply to size a holster for my ankle. I told the Gun Dept associate I wanted to size one, he asked if I had it on me. I said I did, he walked with me over to the side of the counter and it was the correct size. I bought it with no commotion and still carry in there to this day.

As for the no carry places.....you can't carry in an establishment that serves alcohol for consumption on the premises if you are drinking. You can if you are not drinking. No go in the post office, Police Dept, courthouse, the common sense gov't owned buildings. I see pretty much everywhere else as open season. I'd rather die fighting back breaking the law then die without my gun because some sissy didn't want law abiding people to carry on his lot.

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

Last edited by GeneralPatton; 02-05-2013 at 09:26 PM.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:46 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 16818 Times on 9746 Posts
Likes Given: 43875

in Texas, if asked to leave, then there is no further action taken. now if you refuse to leave, then you can be charged with criminal trespassing and fined and the possibility of your CC permit being revoked.

some states, if caught carrying it is acrime even if asked to leave. different states have different laws pertaining to this. read the laws of the state you live or travel in to be on the legal side of things.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:05 PM   #10

One thing I've always wondered is what would happen if you had your gun where law says not allowed. (Such as a school here) and a horrible situation arose (shooter came onto campus and started killing) and you pulled your gun and eliminated the threat. Saving all those kids (and others) lives... I often wonder how the aftermath of that would go down for the (in my eyes) HERO