Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   weight of law? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/weight-law-83351/)

brandinm380 02-04-2013 02:11 PM

weight of law?

Do no firearms signs carry any weight of law in Georgia? Im sitting in the doctor's office with my son and i have seen 4 no weapons signs since i walked in. Can they do anything more than ask me to leave? Im carrying regardless just curious of the extent of the consequences in a worst case scenario, like say i actually have to use my weapon in this or any other weapon free zone.

HOSSFLY 02-04-2013 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandinm380 (Post 1123465)
Do no firearms signs carry any weight of law in Georgia? Im sitting in the doctor's office with my son and i have seen 4 no weapons signs since i walked in. Can they do anything more than ask me to leave? Im carrying regardless just curious of the extent of the consequences in a worst case scenario, like say i actually have to use my weapon in this or any other weapon free zone.

A no gun sign is only good on pvt property (not talking Govt property)-
Its the right of any bussiness owner to post it & can ask you to leave--
Unless you show your azz no other action shud be taken-

brandinm380 02-04-2013 04:00 PM

So as long as i leave if asked to do so im peachy? Not that anyone will ever see my NAA mini :)

HOSSFLY 02-04-2013 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandinm380 (Post 1123606)
So as long as i leave if asked to do so im peachy? Not that anyone will ever see my NAA mini :)

1st if concealed shud never be a issue ;)
2nd yes you shud be peachy if you politely leave with a "Sorry, i'll never darken your anti gun door again!" :rolleyes:

brandinm380 02-04-2013 04:07 PM

If i had somewhere else to go i would but unfortunately all the hospitals and doctors offices are anti gun here :( and it is concealed as concealed can get, i was mainly wondering what would happen if i had to draw my firearm in one of the many anti gun establishments in my area.

drvsafe 02-04-2013 04:10 PM

from the handgunlaw.us website:
"“No Firearm” signs in Georgia have no force of law unless they are posted on property that is specifically
mentioned in State Law as being off limits to those with a Permit/License to Carry. If you are in a place not
specifically mentioned in the law that is posted and they ask you to leave, you must leave. If you refuse to
leave then you are breaking the law and can be charged. Even if the property is not posted and you are asked
to leave you must leave. Always be aware of the possibility that responding Police Officers who may have
been called without your knowledge and may not know the laws on trespass etc. could arrest you even if you
are within the law.'

Overkill0084 02-04-2013 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drvsafe (Post 1123620)
from the handgunlaw.us website:
"“No Firearm” signs in Georgia have no force of law unless they are posted on property that is specifically mentioned in State Law as being off limits to those with a Permit/License to Carry. If you are in a place not specifically mentioned in the law that is posted and they ask you to leave, you must leave. If you refuse to leave then you are breaking the law and can be charged. Even if the property is not posted and you are asked to leave you must leave. Always be aware of the possibility that responding Police Officers who may have been called without your knowledge and may not know the laws on trespass etc. could arrest you even if you are within the law.'

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/georgia.pdf

GeneralPatton 02-05-2013 09:24 PM

I live in GA. Yes, they have no force. Yes, if they ask you to leave then you should. However, the most simple way to avoid such is to not advertise you are carrying in anyway shape or form. I carry everywhere I go. Sometimes on my belt, others on my ankle. I try and avoid doing business with places that aren't gun friendly, however sometimes you find out after you are already there. In that case I just remain silent about it. I've never been asked to leave anywhere I've been. The only place I've ever even shown I was carrying was in an Academy Sports and that was simply to size a holster for my ankle. I told the Gun Dept associate I wanted to size one, he asked if I had it on me. I said I did, he walked with me over to the side of the counter and it was the correct size. I bought it with no commotion and still carry in there to this day.

As for the no carry places.....you can't carry in an establishment that serves alcohol for consumption on the premises if you are drinking. You can if you are not drinking. No go in the post office, Police Dept, courthouse, the common sense gov't owned buildings. I see pretty much everywhere else as open season. I'd rather die fighting back breaking the law then die without my gun because some sissy didn't want law abiding people to carry on his lot.

Axxe55 02-05-2013 09:46 PM

in Texas, if asked to leave, then there is no further action taken. now if you refuse to leave, then you can be charged with criminal trespassing and fined and the possibility of your CC permit being revoked.

some states, if caught carrying it is acrime even if asked to leave. different states have different laws pertaining to this. read the laws of the state you live or travel in to be on the legal side of things.

beenz 02-05-2013 10:05 PM

One thing I've always wondered is what would happen if you had your gun where law says not allowed. (Such as a school here) and a horrible situation arose (shooter came onto campus and started killing) and you pulled your gun and eliminated the threat. Saving all those kids (and others) lives... I often wonder how the aftermath of that would go down for the (in my eyes) HERO