Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Weight?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 04:01 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 284 Times on 246 Posts

Default Weight?

How much of a factor is weight in a carry piece for you?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-19-2013, 04:03 AM   #2

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Not really all that big a deal....then again I thought about it for several years and experimented around at the shop before I got my CCP

Old 01-19-2013, 04:06 AM   #3

Liked 77 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 19

For me it all depends on the belt. I have a Black leather belt that was designed for carry that can hold anything without a problem. But if I'm wearing one of my normal dress belts with suit pants I usually opt for the smaller gun because it won't flex the belt which translates to less printing.

If you've got one foot in yesterday, and the other in tomorrow, than you're pissing on today.
-unknown-

Old 01-19-2013, 04:09 AM   #4

Liked 1685 Times on 951 Posts
Likes Given: 1131

I can carry a 4 inch 629 with a good belt. That is a S&W 44 Mag in case you are wondering. Stainless...quite heavy.

If I am dressed up but want to be able to take off my jacket, I pocket carry a sub compact.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 01-19-2013, 04:11 AM   #5
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2009 Times on 1091 Posts
Likes Given: 724

I typically carry in my pocket, so first consideration is size, second is weight. If I was carrying say in a shoulder holster, flip those considerations.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 01-19-2013, 07:57 AM   #6
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2665 Times on 1551 Posts
Likes Given: 1184

With back problems, weight is a huge factor (in both, body and firearm).

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 01-19-2013, 10:21 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 54

During the week I carry for 11 hours a day, so weight is a big factor for me. I did discover a great belt that has helped, but still after 11 hours, I cant wait to take the firearm off.
I used to carry a commander size 1911 and after a few months the weight of it got old, so I went with a Kimber CDP Ultra(officer size 1911) with an aluminum frame. The CDP was fine for a while too, but then I went to a SIG 9mm that was even lighter. Now I am down to a micro 9(Sig P290 or P938) and have not been happier. I have a closet full of holsters for all of the above mentioned, and for me it always came down to weight. I am sure you have heard the saying, the gun you brought with you is better than the bigger one you left at home because it was to heavy or uncomfortable.
Just to give you some background, I have had my CHL for 16 years and have carried almost daily since I got it, and in my experiance, a good belt helps a great deal.

SGT U.S. Army Special Operations Command, Ft. Bragg, NC (2002-2006)
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran (2004)

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Old 01-19-2013, 11:18 AM   #8

Liked 350 Times on 233 Posts
Likes Given: 4

What truevil said. EDC is always going to be about the compromise between size and comfort. While a good belt and holster make a difference, a full size piece with spare mags will get cumbersome. Try carrying a full size steel sidearm all day. I know some guys here do. If it works for you, more power to ya. In a perfect world, I'd be carrying my 38 Super 1911. In this world, it's either an M&P Shield or a snubby.

Last edited by Donn; 01-19-2013 at 11:20 AM.

Old 01-19-2013, 05:04 PM   #9

Liked 284 Times on 246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
I typically carry in my pocket, so first consideration is size, second is weight. If I was carrying say in a shoulder holster, flip those considerations.
I'm still trying to decide if I should replace my current carry piece or not. I too pocket carry, a fairly heavy gun, but can do so without need of belt. I just wonder how much of a difference a lighter gun would make as fast as comfort. I like shooting heavier guns, my accuracy is far better. I like knowing is there and not forgetting and walling into a government building.

I just don't know... Any thoughts or insights Scott?

Old 01-19-2013, 05:36 PM   #10
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2009 Times on 1091 Posts
Likes Given: 724

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
I'm still trying to decide if I should replace my current carry piece or not. I too pocket carry, a fairly heavy gun, but can do so without need of belt. I just wonder how much of a difference a lighter gun would make as fast as comfort. I like shooting heavier guns, my accuracy is far better. I like knowing is there and not forgetting and walling into a government building.

I just don't know... Any thoughts or insights Scott?
Ask me in a month. I head to the range today to break in my new carry piece (Kahr PM9). My old carry piece is a S&W Bodyguard 380. The Kahr is significantly heavier. I'll try to remember to post a comparison after a few weeks.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA