Weapon choice per reactionary gap. - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

Weapon choice per reactionary gap.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2011, 03:36 PM   #11
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11030 Times on 4771 Posts
Likes Given: 1812

When would I go for my knife? When I need something to wrap his cold dead fingers around.

Old 03-24-2011, 03:48 PM   #12

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I believe I could present my holstered pistol more quickly than a pocket knife. Put the pistol in a shoulder holster closer to said evildoer and make it a sheath knife, might go the other way. Especially if he has a hold of you.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:23 PM   #13

Liked 57 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Depends on what the mugger is holding. If he's holding a handgun and hasn't already shot you, he probably isn't planning on killing you. Wait for him to get close and just keep the gun from pointing towards you. It can only shoot in a straight line. Then just start stabbing him in the gut. Even if you don't kill him, the shock will make him unable to do anything. If he has a knife and is walking towards you, just try to get as discreet a shot off as possible. Any hit in combat is a good hit, and nobody wounded will stay around to get shot again.

Vae Victis

Old 03-24-2011, 08:27 PM   #14
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2884 Times on 1582 Posts
Likes Given: 810

Get a CRKT Bear Claw and start slashing.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:48 PM   #15

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Pocket knives are barely better than fists unless the blade is long enough to reach the heart or lungs.
Really??? So you're telling us you can stab people with your fists??

As far as the question goes... Everyone has a gameplan before the crap hits the fan. Practice your draw with both a knife and a firearm, and be prepared for whatever situation you may find yourself in. Learning how to fight with your hands is always a good idea too...

Get good at everything... Specialization is for insects.

just my 2cents

Old 03-25-2011, 12:42 AM   #16

Liked 22 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 15

if he has a knife, i'm gonna back away and draw. if he has a gun, i'm gonna turn and draw and go bang bang. ( I will turn so he won't see that I'm pulling my firearm and not my wallet, and also to present a slightly smaller target).

Old 03-25-2011, 01:02 AM   #17
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3702 Times on 1783 Posts
Likes Given: 1816

Scratch,

That is why the saying! You will do as you have trained. In these situations you must act due to the fact you do not have time to think things out! So what I am saying you must train, train, train, and rehearse these situations before over and over in your mind! That is if you are going to be successful in these scenarios you mentioned. You must rehearse perform the drills and train prior to the incident. Because unless you are just d--- lucky you will be the ultimate victim. We teach a couple of techniques. #1 the push off and shoot! Keep your hand out of the line of the muzzle if you are going to practice this. We would shove off then get our none gun hand back in to our chest while firing. The other is the fend off and move technique. All kinds of techniques with this. Rake his shins! Smash your hand into his nose and face area and move. Flat hand him on the ear! Jam his eyes Move and Shoot! Or if you feel good pull his eyeball out and be sure to ask him "Is this Yours?" I would presume that is the political correct thing to say at that point! But aways be doing something and moving. Don't just shoot once either. Give him two or three asses quickly and give him some more if the treat has not stopped or there is any chance of it continuing. Remember there is no such thing as a fair fight they just teach us to win!!!

Old 03-25-2011, 01:20 AM   #18

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3490 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratchammo View Post
So what y'all are saying, you'd rather use a pistol within 6'?
I'm not. And I have no problem being the only one who says so, based on training.

For this scenario, you have to factor intent, movement and positioning of the attacker.

But I have seen, and participated in, drills where it's proven a knife is WAY faster than a handgun from holster within about 5 or so yards IF the attacker is aggressive.

I would like to see Scubie and Dr.Jason's beliefs based on a very, VERY good demonstration that was being filmed at shot by a guy who was recognized as one of the ELITE correction officer trainers in the country.

This was a guy who could change levels on you, cut both femeral arteries and the groin in about 2 or so seconds, followed with an arm grab and burying a karambit deep into the nerve center in the armpit, before most of us knew he drew his karambit from his belt. It was VERY impressive.

I would like to see some of the responses and will be checking back as this thread takes legs.

For me, unless I can create space, I am not going for my primary weapon inside of 5 or so yards in an open environment like a parking lot.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:37 AM   #19
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6836 Times on 3634 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoyleTheDog View Post
Really??? So you're telling us you can stab people with your fists??

As far as the question goes... Everyone has a gameplan before the crap hits the fan. Practice your draw with both a knife and a firearm, and be prepared for whatever situation you may find yourself in. Learning how to fight with your hands is always a good idea too...

Get good at everything... Specialization is for insects.

just my 2cents

i do agree with you that if you carry it you need to know how to use it. thats why i dont carry one, i dont know a damn thing about how to use a knife in a fight. most goblins that you will ever meet dont even know how to hold a steak knife at sizzler much less use a knife in a fight. to them its just an intimidation thing. they typical dont expect resistance.

if your going to carry a knife for protection it HAS to be long enough to reach internals or heavy and sharp enough to cut through muscle clothing and tendons to do damage. most pocket knives dont fall into this catergory. thats what i was trying to get across without going into exhaustive detail. typical folding knives that will fit in a pocket are not good for fighting. thats my point with the typical pocket fodder being only nominally better than nothing.

honestly, peeps that spend the time to really train in knife fighting, martial arts, or weapons in general are not the ones robbing you or carjacking or other typical goblin activity.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 03-25-2011, 04:51 AM   #20
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

KISS my pistol is the primary defensive, far more practice with it than the back up knife. Go with what works for you. For me I expect my knife is option two and the aggressor is already on me and I can't get to my pistol. Six feet is close (three steps walking two running).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.