We are a minority - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > We are a minority

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2010, 02:46 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

From 2006: 7.4% for SD.
South Dakotans No. 1 in permits to conceal guns | argusleader.com | Argus Leader

I think the percentage is higher now -- I had seen the numbers earlier, but can't remember.. Will try to find them.

edit:
Found it:
http://www.state.sd.us/news/showDoc.aspx?i=11557

As of end of 2009, 55,770 CCW holders in SD, compared to the 41,000+ in '06

Last edited by tom777; 04-20-2010 at 03:02 AM.

Old 04-20-2010, 06:46 AM   #12

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
To amplify a point I was trying to make in the "reopen the machine gun registry" thread - remember us gun carriers are a very small minority. Just calculated that here in GA, we represent about 6% of the adult population. As of 2003, there were 6.4 million adults in GA and as of this year there are about 400 thousand license holders.

The moral is to never forget that a small number of folks love guns, a small number of folks hate guns, and many don't care either way. The media can and will demonize guns to influence the "don't cares" so we must always present a positive image and pick our battles very carefully...

(Note: here in GA a license is required for open or concealed carry)
Just wondering how many of those indifferent folk will beat a path to your door if ever a situation arises where personal defense is necessary on a wide scale and for an extended period of time. Many cities in this country are only an extended power outage or a Katrina-like event away from bedlam and chaos.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 04-23-2010, 12:01 PM   #13

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
Just wondering how many of those indifferent folk will beat a path to your door if ever a situation arises where personal defense is necessary on a wide scale and for an extended period of time. Many cities in this country are only an extended power outage or a Katrina-like event away from bedlam and chaos.
I don't disagree with you at all, I'm just making sure folks understand that we are a small but vocal group. BTW, it's human nature to be indifferent until the crisis strikes you and yours...

Old 04-23-2010, 12:51 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I know a few people who are very anti gun but most are just indifferent. I know a few like me who are into them but most really just don't care. Those same indifferent people can't understand why I would ever want to carry a pistol with me, it just doesn't make sense to them.
We are like any other elite group(some more so then others here), we're looked at under a microscope and people love to see us fail.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 04-25-2010, 06:41 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
Not just the "indifferent" folks. Was out recently with an old friend of the significant other, who has voiced that she "doesn't really like" the fact that I carry. (Doesn't like guns in general)

Of course, when we were out walking at night, and she thought this large group of guys was following the 3 of us, she was suddenly ok with it.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:15 PM   #16

Liked 5001 Times on 2426 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent_H View Post
This is something I was reminded of recently. Went to a get together with my lady and hit it off with a guy there. Everything was kosher and I mentioned maybe he would like to hit the range with me sometime.

Word got back that the people at the function were taken aback and said they felt uncomfortable.

Really? I love guns as the machines and tools that they are - probably much like someone into classic car restoration or sports or whatnot.

I forgot that many people are afraid of guns or see gun owners as heathens or something.

Probably would have been a party buster if they knew I was carrying also...

Well written starting post this one is.
"Fear of weaponry in the modern male is a sign of emotional and sexual inferiority".

Sigmund Froid

I love to drop that tidbit on the Tea & Crumpett crowd. Makes the men frown and the ladies smile...For some reason.

Sometimes the best answer to "PC BS" is good old fashioned verbal biaaaatch SLAP.

Oh...Only use this as a counter puch to daisy joe mouthing off about the bad bad guns out there. It does not play well as a first strike!

TACK