We are a minority

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > We are a minority

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2010, 03:38 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Default We are a minority

To amplify a point I was trying to make in the "reopen the machine gun registry" thread - remember us gun carriers are a very small minority. Just calculated that here in GA, we represent about 6% of the adult population. As of 2003, there were 6.4 million adults in GA and as of this year there are about 400 thousand license holders.

The moral is to never forget that a small number of folks love guns, a small number of folks hate guns, and many don't care either way. The media can and will demonize guns to influence the "don't cares" so we must always present a positive image and pick our battles very carefully...

(Note: here in GA a license is required for open or concealed carry)

Last edited by NGIB; 04-19-2010 at 03:47 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-19-2010, 03:48 PM   #2

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
The moral is to never forget that a small number of folks love guns, a small number of folks hate guns, and many don't care either way. The media can and will demonize guns to influence the "don't cares" so we must always present a positive image and pick our battles very carefully...
Truth spoken here!!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 04-19-2010, 03:56 PM   #3

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

What NGIB wrote is something that all gun carriers and enthusiasts need to understand.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 04-19-2010, 04:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
What NGIB wrote is something that all gun carriers and enthusiasts need to understand.
Pretty good for a "puke-faced juvenile punk" huh?

Old 04-19-2010, 04:08 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

'Zactly! We have to be careful, but... It's a crying shame that we've even been backed into this corner in the first place.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-19-2010, 04:30 PM   #6

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Pretty good for a "puke-faced juvenile punk" huh?
Yeah, I was going to talk to you about that....lol.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 04-19-2010, 04:55 PM   #7

Liked 20 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 147

This is something I was reminded of recently. Went to a get together with my lady and hit it off with a guy there. Everything was kosher and I mentioned maybe he would like to hit the range with me sometime.

Word got back that the people at the function were taken aback and said they felt uncomfortable.

Really? I love guns as the machines and tools that they are - probably much like someone into classic car restoration or sports or whatnot.

I forgot that many people are afraid of guns or see gun owners as heathens or something.

Probably would have been a party buster if they knew I was carrying also...

Well written starting post this one is.

Old 04-19-2010, 05:40 PM   #8

I have an AR, with an ACOG and an Eotech (and BUIS), 12-30 rounds Pmags (loaded), and 1000 rounds of 5.56 at the ready.

Without using the terms "it's my right", "2nd Amendment", or "zombie apocalypse" - I doubt I could explain "why" to a group of gun-neutral citizens. We are fanatics about our guns but we must remember that the majority of the population still sees them as "bad" or "not necessary"...

Old 04-19-2010, 08:40 PM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Most people I talk to about guns around here are like you say, indifferent or into them.
That's an interesting study though. I wonder what the stats are nationwide and from state to state of carriers.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
Most people I talk to about guns around here are like you say, indifferent or into them.
That's an interesting study though. I wonder what the stats are nationwide and from state to state of carriers.
Our local GA 2A group keeps rough track of GFLs in play and I found the state's adult population in a few seconds on Google. As the South is generally gun friendly and there's no training requirement in GA - I expect our percentage is higher than a lot of states. We really are a minority and we need the acceptance of soccer Moms and Dads to achieve our goals. Shoving our wants and desires in their faces and screaming "it's our right" wont get us very far with these folks IMHO...