Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   We are a minority (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/we-minority-26236/)

NGIB 04-19-2010 03:38 PM

We are a minority

To amplify a point I was trying to make in the "reopen the machine gun registry" thread - remember us gun carriers are a very small minority. Just calculated that here in GA, we represent about 6% of the adult population. As of 2003, there were 6.4 million adults in GA and as of this year there are about 400 thousand license holders.

The moral is to never forget that a small number of folks love guns, a small number of folks hate guns, and many don't care either way. The media can and will demonize guns to influence the "don't cares" so we must always present a positive image and pick our battles very carefully...

(Note: here in GA a license is required for open or concealed carry)

dunerunner 04-19-2010 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NGIB (Post 272350)
The moral is to never forget that a small number of folks love guns, a small number of folks hate guns, and many don't care either way. The media can and will demonize guns to influence the "don't cares" so we must always present a positive image and pick our battles very carefully...

Truth spoken here!!

Car54 04-19-2010 03:56 PM

What NGIB wrote is something that all gun carriers and enthusiasts need to understand.

NGIB 04-19-2010 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Car54 (Post 272355)
What NGIB wrote is something that all gun carriers and enthusiasts need to understand.

Pretty good for a "puke-faced juvenile punk" huh?

CA357 04-19-2010 04:08 PM

'Zactly! We have to be careful, but... It's a crying shame that we've even been backed into this corner in the first place.

Car54 04-19-2010 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NGIB (Post 272357)
Pretty good for a "puke-faced juvenile punk" huh?

Yeah, I was going to talk to you about that....lol.

Agent_H 04-19-2010 04:55 PM

This is something I was reminded of recently. Went to a get together with my lady and hit it off with a guy there. Everything was kosher and I mentioned maybe he would like to hit the range with me sometime.

Word got back that the people at the function were taken aback and said they felt uncomfortable.

Really? I love guns as the machines and tools that they are - probably much like someone into classic car restoration or sports or whatnot.

I forgot that many people are afraid of guns or see gun owners as heathens or something.

Probably would have been a party buster if they knew I was carrying also...

Well written starting post this one is.

NGIB 04-19-2010 05:40 PM

I have an AR, with an ACOG and an Eotech (and BUIS), 12-30 rounds Pmags (loaded), and 1000 rounds of 5.56 at the ready.

Without using the terms "it's my right", "2nd Amendment", or "zombie apocalypse" - I doubt I could explain "why" to a group of gun-neutral citizens. We are fanatics about our guns but we must remember that the majority of the population still sees them as "bad" or "not necessary"...

Gojubrian 04-19-2010 08:40 PM

Most people I talk to about guns around here are like you say, indifferent or into them.
That's an interesting study though. I wonder what the stats are nationwide and from state to state of carriers.

NGIB 04-19-2010 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojubrian (Post 272498)
Most people I talk to about guns around here are like you say, indifferent or into them.
That's an interesting study though. I wonder what the stats are nationwide and from state to state of carriers.

Our local GA 2A group keeps rough track of GFLs in play and I found the state's adult population in a few seconds on Google. As the South is generally gun friendly and there's no training requirement in GA - I expect our percentage is higher than a lot of states. We really are a minority and we need the acceptance of soccer Moms and Dads to achieve our goals. Shoving our wants and desires in their faces and screaming "it's our right" wont get us very far with these folks IMHO...