Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Which way to carry for Commander size 1911s?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2009, 11:19 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I just got a Galco shoulder rig and it wears very well. Plus you have a dual mag pouch on the opposite side so you can carry 3 full mags just incase.

Old 09-30-2009, 12:13 AM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The IWB will work well with the T3. Nighthawk has an IWB model leather holster that works well, once it is broken in and loosens up a tad. I have also been pleased with the Blade-Tech IWB. True, it is plastic, but it holds the gun well, is fast, and allows you to reholster with one hand. If you go with an IWB, get one that will allow you to reholster with one hand, I prefer models with a metal reinforcing band. I believe it to be important that you can reholster with one hand, without looking at the holster. From a defensive stand point, something caused you to draw your weapon, it doesn't matter what, now you need to reholster for whatever reason, don't you want to keep your eyes up and scanning instead of looking at your holster?

There is in life perhaps one fleeting moment when the courage, dedication and resolve of one man gambling against all odds will alter the destiny of nations.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:33 PM   #13

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint Rock View Post
The IWB will work well with the T3. Nighthawk has an IWB model leather holster that works well, once it is broken in and loosens up a tad. I have also been pleased with the Blade-Tech IWB. True, it is plastic, but it holds the gun well, is fast, and allows you to reholster with one hand. If you go with an IWB, get one that will allow you to reholster with one hand, I prefer models with a metal reinforcing band. I believe it to be important that you can reholster with one hand, without looking at the holster. From a defensive stand point, something caused you to draw your weapon, it doesn't matter what, now you need to reholster for whatever reason, don't you want to keep your eyes up and scanning instead of looking at your holster?

Indeed a very good holster. This same holster I use for some competition shoots and concealed carry. A very important defensive point you brought up Flint, one does want to be able to reholster your weopon with one hand and not break eye contact from target or FOV.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 09-30-2009, 01:42 PM   #14

Liked 57 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hey, thanks for your support, guys. What I'm asking is the best and most comfortable way, in your opinions, to conceal-carry a Commander-size 1911. Shoulder rigs are not an option, as I'm not going to wear a jacket all the time to cover it. I guess I should have been more clear in the first place....I'm thinking IWB as opposed to OWB. To "carry like a Nighthawk" or "carry like a 1911" is not exactly much help

Anyway, let's just burn this thread.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:43 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint Rock View Post
Thanks for that, helpful post for me.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:45 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
So tell the OP how to carry a 1911

I thought the Nighthawk was carried in a special way....my bad
No, Nighthawk is just another 1911. Well, not just any 1911....it is a superior piece of work.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:46 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
I don't even own a 1911!!!

Shoulder rig?
Then why are you chiming in on this?

Old 09-30-2009, 02:19 PM   #18

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
Hey, thanks for your support, guys. What I'm asking is the best and most comfortable way, in your opinions, to conceal-carry a Commander-size 1911. Shoulder rigs are not an option, as I'm not going to wear a jacket all the time to cover it. I guess I should have been more clear in the first place....I'm thinking IWB as opposed to OWB. To "carry like a Nighthawk" or "carry like a 1911" is not exactly much help

Anyway, let's just burn this thread.
Damn son, go to these sites and make a decision. I have used all of these holsters with Colt 1911's and they are all nice IWB holsters. You cannot go to a range and try out holsters like you can various handguns, but you sure can find who carries local and go try them on before purchasing one, like clothes, to see how you fit with them. I can only recommend what holster I use and feel comfortable with, your taste may vary, the leg work and dressing room try on, is up to you.

"The Answer" IWB - $125 (Favorite)

High Performance Concealment Systems for the Professional

Versa Max 2

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 09-30-2009, 04:01 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
Damn son, go to these sites and make a decision. I have used all of these holsters with Colt 1911's and they are all nice IWB holsters. You cannot go to a range and try out holsters like you can various handguns, but you sure can find who carries local and go try them on before purchasing one, like clothes, to see how you fit with them. I can only recommend what holster I use and feel comfortable with, your taste may vary, the leg work and dressing room try on, is up to you.

"The Answer" IWB - $125 (Favorite)

High Performance Concealment Systems for the Professional

Versa Max 2

Jack
I'm gonna go with the Tucker, thanks for your help. I live in a remote location, so finding a dealer where I can try on an assortment is very hard to do.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:45 PM   #20

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I carry my Combat commander in a IWB holster strong side, never had a problem with it...

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
Jimi Hendrix