Walther PK380 - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Walther PK380

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2011, 01:01 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I have a pk380 and it IS a nice gun. racks well, fires great, and really accurate. Similar to my wife's p22. The only problem that I have is the magazines. since they only come with one and that is 8 rounds. I have called several gun shops in my area NO MAG's in stock. I go to Walther store and they do not have them either. I would give this gun up in a heartbeat and buy another brand if I could get my money back. Not gonna happen tho. Besides $40 for an 8 round mag is just to dang much.

Old 02-20-2011, 03:13 PM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksw View Post
Any opinions on the PPS?
Just that it's the finest damn polymer pistol ever made in a slim format. Think Glock durability but in a package that is just over half as thick, so twice as concealable (for my comfort). I have put mine through it's paces too. It eats EVERY type of brass (and steel cases too) that I have fed it. I'm coming up on 1000rds on mine with no problems whatsoever. It's like my Glock in that regard. And to be fair, the design is obviously ripped off from Glock. IMO, that's a GOOD thing. Field strip them and you'll see what I mean. The trigger is awesome, IMO. It gets a little gritty after when it's dirty, but so does a glock if you pay attention. I'm convinced I only notice because the trigger is lighter than I'm used to. Glock is supposed to be running around 5lb stock, so I would guess the PPS is somewhere around 4-4.5lbs. I have a trigger gauge, so I would need to clamp it down to be sure. I have guns; lots and lots of guns to compare it to. For example, an original PPK (nice size but double action trigger pull straight up sucks and accuracy was left by the wayside) a loaded stainless 1911 (3 times the weight, but effective), G19 (too big for me to get comfortable carrying, but good mag capacity), etc but my Walther PPS is the best shooting, most comfortable all-around pistol I have had the privalage to own. In terms of accuracy, it is side by side with my G19 if they are clamped down. When it comes to free standing, one handed, off handed shots, the PPS takes the prize because I fits me much better. I don't need to look anymore for the perfect CCW pistol (IMO). I have it. Walther (Smith and Wesson) straight up NAILED it with this one. The down side for fairness... Hmmm. The replacement mags are expensive. My 8 rd mags were about $50-$60/ea I think. I have 2 extras. They are expensive pistols. It will take some time getting used to the magazine drop (but once you do it is actually very nice). In the new market, plan on spending $700 or so. Money WELL spent. I mean, I'm about to drop 2-4X that much just on optics and I'll still need mounts and stuff to make it work. Quality shooting just ain't cheap I guess.

Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a few seconds. Light him on FIRE and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Last edited by fixxer; 02-20-2011 at 03:18 PM.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:07 PM   #13

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

my fav walther is the ppk in .32acp but almost got that p22 and still may for my wife to learn how to shoot cuz the 1911 .45 will not be a very good teacher for a completely new shooter. have heard good things about the p380 though. but 50 bucks for a mag sucks. my wilson combat mags were not that much. two for 55. let us all know and good luck.

Old 02-22-2011, 05:16 AM   #14

Just recently bought the Walther PK380 for my wife. She had put a few rounds through my Mothers PK 380 at Christmas. She really liked the gun and it fit her hands well. She decided that she wanted to get one and start going to the range with me. So we got her one.

It's great little gun. Didn't have any problems with the 100 rounds she put through it. Well there was one little hicup..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by progun3400 View Post
Howdy all. This will probably cause some stir for you PK380 fans (not my intentions) but here was my experience. I was just at Gander Mtn. in Joliet looking one of these over with my Aunt (in her late sixties) this past weekend. My Uncle is retired L/E and had been wanting to pick her up a semi-auto that she was comfortable with. Gander had a flyer in this past weekends newspaper and showed it was on sale. She has her sons PPKS in her night stand but has difficulty racking the slide on the PPKS. They called the Joliet store and gun dept. said they had one left in stock. My Uncle has a conversation with one of the gun counter guys and he says these PK380s are easier to chamber a round than most semi-autos he's seen. He mentioned that a few older folks commented how easy it was to rack the slide/chamber a round on the PK380. When we arrived at the store, we went back and looked through the gun case, didn't see any. They told us they were sold out. My Uncle mentioned how far we'd driven and that they'd called prior. The older of the three gents walks into the backroom. In the meantime, I asked the fellow behind the counter which one of the three working the gun dept. were the most familiar with the PK380. He said he was (mentioned he was L/E also) I ask him if the PK380 has a safety with de-cocker or just a de-cocker like the P22. He says it has a safety and a de-cocker. Great. The back door opens and the older gent comes out with the PK380BNIB. We show FOIDs and the guy drops the mag, pulls the slide back fro clearance check and hands it over to my Aunt. It felt good in her hand and was easy for her to rack the slide. She looks it over a bit and hands it to me. I push the safety down and hammer stays cocked. I hand it back to counter person with puzzled look on his face and he says "I guess it's a safety only which means you'd have to squeeze trigger while holding hammer and lowering it down. Nothing safe about that" According to the instruction manual It appears to be the same process as on the P22 and was a deal ender for me. I suggested she pass on the purchase. The L/E guy says "it must be a 1st generation gun but agrees, says it's an AD waiting to happen." Mag. release was a bit different. Gunblast has a youtube demo video on it.
She had just put in a fresh mag came up on target and pulled the trigger the hammer went forward but it didn't fire a round. She taps the mag and racks the slide ejecting the unspent round. She pulls the trigger and again the hammer falls forward without firing a round. She gives me a puzzled look and tells me that something is wrong with her gun. I pick up the ejected rounds and there isn't a single mark on either primer. I pick up the gun come up on target, TAKE THE SAFETY OFF, pull the trigger and the gun fired. I finished out the mag without a problem. My wife had had forgotten to disengage the safety. I tried with a fresh mag and while you can pull the trigger with the safety engaged the hammer does not make contact with the pin.

My wife loves the gun and it preforms well. We are both confident the weapon is safe and I'd recommend it to others.

The only problem now is finding extra mags. I ca't find any anywhere!

Old 02-24-2011, 03:04 AM   #15

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

that is pretty cool. the safety on and off and good to know

Old 04-07-2011, 07:47 PM   #16

Default PK390 Mags

Just a quick update on the mag problem. I was abe to pick up three of them from midwayusa.com.
I have put about 200 rounds thru my pk380 and it is a GREAT gun. Shoots well right out of the box. My youngest boy is going for his CHL permit the end of April. He told me he would like the PK380 because of the safety being ambidextrous and he shoots left handed.
As for the mags, midwayusa had them for $32 ea. I bought three and was not charged any shipping.