Walther PK380
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Walther PK380

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2010, 11:22 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Walther PK380

I was curious to see if anyone has picked up one of the recently new walther PK380's. If so id love to hear what you think of the weapon in regards to CC, reliability, accuracy and such.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-15-2010, 02:07 AM   #2

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

Welcome to the forum, Marksw! Please go to the introductions section and tell us a little about yourself.

On to your question.
I have yet to fondle one of these.
However, I work in a gun store so I'm always doing research on different guns so that I can better answer customers questions.... that, and I just love learning new things about guns
The PK380 was based on the design of the Walther P22.
The P22 is a great gun, and it has the most comfortable grip I've ever put in my hand.
Walther is a good brand, the walthers that we buy in the states are now made by Smith and Wesson. Any walther is usually a great gun, aside from problems the Smith made PPK was having, I haven't heard of any problems with other walther designs.
I apologise for not being able to give more info, hopefully someone else will come along shortly and shed more light on the subject.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:06 AM   #3

thanks for the info!

Old 07-15-2010, 10:39 AM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2872 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 1236

The only negative I have heard or seen deals with the tool required for take down.
It is a semi-straight piece of plastic, and the word is to order a second one. Without one or having a broken one means the handgun cannot be stripped for cleaning.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 07-15-2010, 08:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksw View Post
I was curious to see if anyone has picked up one of the recently new walther PK380's. If so id love to hear what you think of the weapon in regards to CC, reliability, accuracy and such.
Its a good gun, have sold several and end users love them. I love my P22 and this is like a little bigger and stronger version. Its comfortable to shoot, though a little light for my personal taste, i would be confident carrying it any day.

NRA Instructor and FFL in Central Ohio.
Owner of GunEnvy. Home of the $20 transfer and many other deals. See our Facebook page for more.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:28 PM   #6

Good to know. Could you see walther chambering that pistol in 9mm or even .40 cal?

Old 07-16-2010, 08:29 PM   #7

Doubtful, that frame is not designed to handle any more pressure then it is... they want you to go up to the PPS at that point.

Owner of GunEnvy. Home of the $20 transfer and many other deals. See our Facebook page for more.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:38 PM   #8

Any opinions on the PPS?

Old 07-16-2010, 08:42 PM   #9

A very nice accurate pistol, however quite pricey and not entirely sure you get a whole lot for the extra price. It sure is slim and very sexy looking though LOL

Of course its 9mm, so that may be a consideration, i dont carry a 380 at all anymore apart from my PPK.

Old 10-27-2010, 06:15 PM   #10

Howdy all. This will probably cause some stir for you PK380 fans (not my intentions) but here was my experience. I was just at Gander Mtn. in Joliet looking one of these over with my Aunt (in her late sixties) this past weekend. My Uncle is retired L/E and had been wanting to pick her up a semi-auto that she was comfortable with. Gander had a flyer in this past weekends newspaper and showed it was on sale. She has her sons PPKS in her night stand but has difficulty racking the slide on the PPKS. They called the Joliet store and gun dept. said they had one left in stock. My Uncle has a conversation with one of the gun counter guys and he says these PK380s are easier to chamber a round than most semi-autos he's seen. He mentioned that a few older folks commented how easy it was to rack the slide/chamber a round on the PK380. When we arrived at the store, we went back and looked through the gun case, didn't see any. They told us they were sold out. My Uncle mentioned how far we'd driven and that they'd called prior. The older of the three gents walks into the backroom. In the meantime, I asked the fellow behind the counter which one of the three working the gun dept. were the most familiar with the PK380. He said he was (mentioned he was L/E also) I ask him if the PK380 has a safety with de-cocker or just a de-cocker like the P22. He says it has a safety and a de-cocker. Great. The back door opens and the older gent comes out with the PK380BNIB. We show FOIDs and the guy drops the mag, pulls the slide back fro clearance check and hands it over to my Aunt. It felt good in her hand and was easy for her to rack the slide. She looks it over a bit and hands it to me. I push the safety down and hammer stays cocked. I hand it back to counter person with puzzled look on his face and he says "I guess it's a safety only which means you'd have to squeeze trigger while holding hammer and lowering it down. Nothing safe about that" According to the instruction manual

Quote:
"Decocking the hammer. Point the muzzle in a safe direction. Put this before the first mention of “decock the hammer”. Engage the safety. Hold the hammer with your thumb, pull the trigger and let the hammer slowly travel forward. Keep the pistol pointing in a safe direction when de-cocking it so that no one is endangered."
It appears to be the same process as on the P22 and was a deal ender for me. I suggested she pass on the purchase. The L/E guy says "it must be a 1st generation gun but agrees, says it's an AD waiting to happen." Mag. release was a bit different. Gunblast has a youtube demo video on it.