Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Video: Proof that Conceal Carry Permit Holders Live in a Dream World (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/video-proof-conceal-carry-permit-holders-live-dream-world-44818/)

knfxda 07-06-2011 09:19 PM

Video: Proof that Conceal Carry Permit Holders Live in a Dream World

This really pissed me off. :mad:

This is what I posted in comments:

Quote:

Untrained people forced into wearing vision restricting helmets and inappropriate shirts with a poor fitting holster, not setup for a sitting draw, who are placed front and center, and are singled out by a shooting instructor in a room full people. Yeah, real unbiased "study". Wow, these people should feel ashamed for using the word "study"!
Quote:

Let's change it up. Let's not tell the instructor who has the gun and tell them that they must kill as many people as possible and in some cases there will be no gun, in others 1 gun, and still others multiple guns. Let's see how things turn out then. Me thinks it might be a tad different.
Sorry if this has been kicked to death already here. It was new to me.

Alchemist 07-06-2011 09:46 PM

Most of the points they're making don't bother me much but the title and concept of the whole piece... "Proof that CC permit holders live in a dream world"... bothers me A LOT. Those subjects WERE NOT CC permit holders - except for probably one as far as I can tell - and there IS NO PROOF of anything... just a tiny bit of anecdotal information. Beyond that... and this is highly subjective... I don't know exactly why... but I can't stand watching Diane Sawyer so I generally don't.

NOVA 07-06-2011 10:10 PM

Video should have different title

To me the only value of this video is that it illustrates people need to train - and what can happen if they don't get the training they need to handle a crisis situation. Watching the video convinces me I need more training - the cop on the video implies that even LEOs lose their proficiency if they don't train every month.

c3shooter 07-06-2011 11:03 PM

So what is the alternative that they offer? Relying on the "good will" of a person that has decided to kill as many of his fellow students as he can?

Think I'll pass on that. This video is a great example- of how George Orwell's 1984 is coming to be reality.

War is Peace; Freedom is Slavery; Ignorance is Strength

Polygon 07-06-2011 11:13 PM

I don't have any problem with the underlying message, which is training and that it is important. However, I have a huge problem with the title of the piece and the false pretense it gives someone before they even watch it. Just another journalist making their usual generalized, ignorant statements on a subject they know nothing about. I really like how alchemist put it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alchemist (Post 535808)
Those subjects WERE NOT CC permit holders - except for probably one as far as I can tell - and there IS NO PROOF of anything... just a tiny bit of anecdotal information. Beyond that... and this is highly subjective... I don't know exactly why... but I can't stand watching Diane Sawyer so I generally don't.

Here's the comment I left:

Quote:

Just another journalist making their usual generalized, ignorant statements on a subject they know nothing about. It's all very anecdotal and you could hardly call these so called tests scientific for obvious reasons. Granted, I can agree with the underlying message that training is important. However, the title of the article gives one a false pretense going into it. The entire article is poorly done and full of fallacy. Diane Sawyer should be ashamed of herself.

JonM 07-07-2011 12:59 AM

of course abcnews once again misses the point by diving into unreality. most ccw usage resulting in goblins being defeated or driven off are completely untrained seldom if ever fire their carry weapon. goblins train even less than that.

their study is totally bogus putting people in unrealistic attire trying to ward off a highly trained law enforcement swat officer. no goblin has that sort of discipline or training or they wouldnt be goblins...

the purpose of ccw/oc is to give the average joe a CHANCE at self defense not as a guaranteed 100% security blanket.

jjfuller1 07-07-2011 01:03 AM

thats horrible that they would consider that to be a "study",. they had the students all sit in the same chair. same sidearm.. one of the many reasons i always pick a seat with my back to the wall. and different sidearms work best for different people in all situations. but i do aggree training is key.

Dragonheart 07-07-2011 01:38 AM

Yes, he was handicapped by his dress and it was obvious he suffered from lack of real proficiency, but fact of the matter is he had more warning than a concealed handgun carrier would have had in a similar situation. He was not ready and his gun was not ready. What this proves is if you are going to carry you need to practice to the point that drawing your handgun is second nature and secondly the gun needs to be ready to fire as soon as it comes out of the holster, purse, pocket, etc.

WDB 07-07-2011 02:54 AM

Given a pistol & holster that I have not practiced with, cloths that I wouldn't wear when I CC and add the head gear. No wonder why all looked like they weren't familar with the firearm. Also add in the test subjects knew the firearm they had was shooting paint, letting them know they are not going to actually need it for defense. The only thing of value in this is to remind us all to practice with what we CC, the the holster we CC in and dressed as we would daily. Then practice, practice and more practice.

Bighead 07-07-2011 05:03 PM

And beyond all the built in bias, I have two questions:

1. Is it better to die without a firearm to defend yourself?

2. The scenario was a college classroom. What about the concealed carry holder in the classroom next door? Could that person be ready when the killer moves up the hallway?