Vehicle carry
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Vehicle carry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2013, 02:27 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Default Vehicle carry

Question. I don't have my texas conceal carry license yet, but my wife and i and our 6 y/o grandson driving to albany georgia tomorrow to visit other grandkids.

I have a gunvault 200 to lock my glock in under the rear seat.

Does anyone know if this is a good idea? I know in texas, concealed in vehicle is ok if locked up and unloaded. What about louisiana, mississippi, alabama and georgia? Anyone foresee any problems?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-19-2013, 04:49 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

This is probably too late for your current trip, but you might try looking on the following site to find such information for states you are travelling through/to. I know some of the states I've looked at the info for have info on carrying in a vehicle without a permit.

http://www.ccwbystate.com/concealed-carry/

Old 06-20-2013, 05:14 AM   #3

Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyman59 View Post
Question. I don't have my texas conceal carry license yet, but my wife and i and our 6 y/o grandson driving to albany georgia tomorrow to visit other grandkids.

Does anyone know if this is a good idea? I know in texas, concealed in vehicle is ok if locked up and unloaded. What about louisiana, mississippi, alabama and georgia? Anyone foresee any problems?
In the great state of Texas it only has to be concealed in the vehicle. It does not have to be locked or unloaded. Just a heads up

Old 06-22-2013, 11:28 PM   #4

Liked 2179 Times on 1470 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyman59 View Post

Does anyone know if this is a good idea?
Quote:
I know in texas, concealed in vehicle is ok if locked up and unloaded.
What about louisiana, mississippi, alabama and georgia? Anyone foresee any problems?
Since ^^that ^^part is wrong I'd sure be looking into the other state laws a bit more closely

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 06-24-2013, 12:24 AM   #5

Liked 97 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Probably too late to help but jut FYI *technically* in AL you need a permit to carry a pistol in your car, except in some very limited circumstances (like bringing it home after buying it). No routine driving around with it.

It actually one of the only really "bad" firearms laws we have in AL. They tried to do away with it recently in a broad revamp of the state firearms laws but for some reason the change didn't make it into final bill that was passed.

That said, I've never heard of anyone actually getting ticketed or arrested for it and if you are just passing through you're probably covered the the federal transport laws.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:46 AM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2562 Times on 1251 Posts
Likes Given: 1287

I think the problem is as you stated! You do not have your personal protection permit yet! You could end up in serious trouble and especially out of Texas and traveling across state lines. And to me should you be charged with carrying a handgun without a permit is is a jailable offense without question and you can probably kiss your ability to ever get a permit in the future goodbye! In my opinion better carry a club until you get legal. Georgia, Louisiana and Alabama do honor Texas personal protection permits if you possess a permit. We sure do not want to see any of our friends here on the FTF get into serious problems.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy