Vehicle carry - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Vehicle carry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2013, 02:05 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 292 Times on 252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR10 View Post
A gun that is only under glass, even if out of sight, is an invitation to a tragedy. Every box store for office equipment sells small safes. Amazon sells small safes.

Being a responsible gun owner means stowing your guns responsibly.
This is liberal bs. It's not my or anyone else fault that bad people do bad things. A house is no more than "under glass" in your scenario as well.

Nope, I won't let bad guys claim victimhood just like I won't take the responsibly for their actions. A gun under glass is no more an invite than a girl in a short skirt. Pure unadulterated bs!

Last edited by BeyondTheBox; 05-17-2013 at 02:17 AM.

Old 05-17-2013, 02:11 AM   #12
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7456 Times on 4068 Posts
Likes Given: 15348

I used to see gun racks in trucks all the time. I hardly ever see that anymore.

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

therewolf Likes This 
Old 05-17-2013, 03:00 AM   #13

Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Ok boys play nice!! I guess the obvious question would which is likelier and easier to break into?? That would have to be a vehicle over a home! And even with a home invasion you have to get through a safe of some sort!! I guess nothing's bullet proof!! My old man always told me, locks and safes are to keep good guys out, bad guys make a living getting through or around just about anything!

Old 05-17-2013, 03:00 PM   #14

Liked 25 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 10

This story on the news the other night reminded me why I don't even leave my good sunglasses in my vehicle, especially over night. There is a surveillance video showing how quick and easy it is. Remember they don't care what they break.

http://www.ksat.com/news/car-thieves-target-mother-taking-child-to-daycare/-/478452/20168080/-/q8cpjq/-/index.html

Glenn
FAS1SAFE

People Like This 
Old 05-17-2013, 05:52 PM   #15

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rentacop View Post
Note that if you must leave a gun in a car at, say, an airport lot, you can hide the gun in the spare tire compartment and pile other stuff over it in the trunk . Not perfect but likely to prevent theft .
I did that when the wife and I went on our cruise last week. We drove her 06 Explorer to the port in Jacksonville and upon arrival i unloaded it a put it in the storage compartment in the floor in the rear cargo area. I never leave anything of value anywhere in sight in my truck, you never know what somebody will knock out a window to take. I have a buddy who used to leave things in his storage tray on the dash, till somebody threw a brick thru his window for his $12 sunglasses...smh!

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

therewolf Likes This 
Old 05-17-2013, 06:00 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

If I am in the car or the car is with me at a location other than my home, a pistol is in a nanovault under the seat & cabled to a seat support. A smash&grab person probably wouldn't take the time to use the lugwrench to pry it open or be carry a large pair of bolt cutters. I usually park where the car is visible to the secretary up front and/or bring the pistol in with my backup drive.

I just need to go ahead and get that carry permit.

As far as "under glass" in a house or in a car, neither is really secure. A old roommate of mine lost his grandpa's single-action .45 in a break in to the house we rented in Memphis. The police weren't planning to come out until he mentioned that missing pistol and a missing .357.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks View Post
I did that when the wife and I went on our cruise last week. We drove her 06 Explorer to the port in Jacksonville and upon arrival i unloaded it a put it in the storage compartment in the floor in the rear cargo area. I never leave anything of value anywhere in sight in my truck, you never know what somebody will knock out a window to take. I have a buddy who used to leave things in his storage tray on the dash, till somebody threw a brick thru his window for his $12 sunglasses...smh!
I had the most polite car break-in for maybe $15-20 in quarters that was visible in the cupholder. They broke out a tiny rear window and just took the pile of change (for laundry). I laughed when I opened the armrest and saw my emergency fuel $20 was still there.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 05-17-2013 at 06:02 PM.
therewolf Likes This 
Old 05-22-2013, 03:55 PM   #17

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Personally i keep my p938 on me 24/7 and i keep my naa 22mag black widow in my car 24/7. Its not visible from outside or inside the car and only i know where it is. Not saying it can't be stolen, that's why i check that it is still there every time i get in my car and i know the s/n by heart if, god forbid, i ever need to report it stolen.

Old 05-22-2013, 04:07 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2935 Times on 1706 Posts
Likes Given: 1750

If you gotta leave the weapon, atleast take the ammo.

We are all biodegradable.

Ruger, don't leave home without it.

Old 05-22-2013, 04:11 PM   #19

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

The black widow serves as my car jacking deterrent. I'm a big boy at 6'5" 315 lbs so it's not easy to get to my hip gun when I'm sitting on it. That's where the permanent car gun comes into play.

Old 05-23-2013, 04:21 AM   #20

Liked 246 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Some tips but no magic solutions :
1) If a thief finds money, he may think there could be other money elsewhere in the car and search for it . Even small change may increase risk .
2) If there is lots of stuff in the car, a thief may break in to see if any of it is valuable . If the car looks completely empty, it doesn't look very promising .
3) It is a good idea to hide electronics etc a block or so before you reach your destination . That way, thieves won't see you scramble to hide the valuables .
4) The worst risk of break-ins is in unattended parking garages .
5) At shopping centers, park under a light when possible . Avoid parking next to a van that will block the view of your vehicle . Consider parking near the center of the parking lot to make the car visible from all sides and to make a thief cover a lot of ground when escaping . Consider parking in front of a store or mall entrance so the thief won't be sure a witness isn't about to walk out and see your car . Expect more trouble at Chrismas time ; Don't go back inside after loading presents into the car and don't leave presents in the car overnight .

6) Glass break sensors are good to have on car alarms but won't trigger if the car gets opened with a Slim Jim or other tools .
7) The thief is like a guerrilla : He swims in a sea of sympathetic citizens . If the neighborhood is one in which people report crimes and testify in court, few cars will be broken into . If there is the belief that , " Snitches get stitches and wind up in ditches ", thieves will operate brazenly .

8) If you arrive at an accomodation , especially at a tourist destinatiion, a thief may be watching to see who pulls up and hops out to check out the room without locking the car . Lock the car every time you leave it unattended to move luggage or for any other reason .

9) Valet parking guys and parking lot attendants have stolen things as minor as a sweater left on a back seat . If you use valet parking, "sanitize" the car, to use a CIA term. And give the attendant the valet key only if your car has one .

10) Far be it from me to advise anyone to break the law on this open forum ...I will, however just note that saavy johns who pick up street hookers know that a nearby pimp may be signeled by the hooker so he can break into the car and find the wallet in either the trunk or glove box. The solution some men use is to drive past any girl who tries to flag them down and park about 1/4 mile down the street. The man then walks back up the street and encounters the girl while on foot ; She has no idea which car is his .
All things considered, it is best not to take a gun to a hooker date . Pepper spray is okay ...