Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Vehicle carry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2013, 02:27 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 157 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default Vehicle carry

General thoughts on leaving a gun in a vehicle 24/7!!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-13-2013, 02:39 PM   #2

Liked 3768 Times on 2246 Posts
Likes Given: 3147

I would not personally. It can be easily stolen and used for evil deeds. I think it would be better to keep the gun on you at all times. Just my 2 cents. If you can't keep it on you at work, then I might leave it in the vehicle during this time. I might worry about it during the day though. Best park the car in the safest place available. Still, I hope those who keep a weapon in their vehicle can offer advise on hiding it while still being accessible. I am curious about this too. It is illegal where I live unless you are on the hunting revier. I cannot even carry a loaded gun unless hunting on the revier. I also have to carry it unloaded if I stop somewhere on the way home from a hunt. Anyways, Good luck.

Old 05-13-2013, 03:03 PM   #3
Relax, y'all. It's not my blood. ~Me, Fallujah, 2005

Liked 9185 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahall View Post
24/7!!
Not just no, but hell no. Gotta sleep sometime?

Mine stays in my vehicle during the day. It's parked at a controlled access facility while I'm working. Beyond that, it's within sight, or my gun is on me (basically, my gun ain't in it if I can't see my vehicle and it's not at my office).

I get home, it goes in with me.

It's NEVER left completely unattended. Now, someone COULD break into my office's facility and steal it, but considering how often something like that has happened here (not once, ever), and how it would be so much easier to rob someone else, I'm pretty comfortable with my chances. Plus, I'm hardly away from my office more than an hour at a time. WMPD's narc unit is on the other side of the cyclone fence, right next to my access gate...
Old 05-13-2013, 03:22 PM   #4

Liked 756 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Quote:
I wouldn't do it. And I have a Nano Car Vault under my seat where I place my firearm when I enter airports.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:13 PM   #5

Liked 85 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanBaccha View Post

I wouldn't do it. And I have a Nano Car Vault under my seat where I place my firearm when I enter airports.
I have the same vault. I also work in a machine shop so i just put the mag in my pocket until i leave for thr day.

you pew pew pew lately bro!?

Old 05-13-2013, 04:34 PM   #6
Supporting Member

Liked 455 Times on 283 Posts

I work in construction so my gun sits in my truck 24/7. even when I am at home.

"Don't call me Sir, I work for a living"

"I'm an A**hole"

Old 05-13-2013, 04:34 PM   #7
Lifetime Supporting Member

Liked 1717 Times on 968 Posts
Likes Given: 1294

Quote:
Don't. Not now, not ever. Remove it as often as possible to at least reassure yourself that it hasn't been stolen.

Remember the saying out of sight, out of mind? It's very possible that your gun could be missing for some time without you noticing if you just put it there and leave it there. Can you imagine the heat you would get if your gun was left at a murder scene and you didn't have a police report to prove you reported it stolen?
People Like This 
Old 05-15-2013, 04:04 AM   #8

Liked 257 Times on 227 Posts

Mine only leave the car when I go shooting, which as of late is rare, otherwise they are in my car 24/7. One in glovebox and other under driver's seat.

I see nothing wrong with it personally. If a car has been broken into it's obvious, then you report the theft and move along.

But I live in a very low crime area. Not a single car break in in whole neighborhood in about 8 years. And yes, I'd know, we have a community flyer which keeps us apprised of all current goings on including every time the cops show up and cause of it. It's also full of cul-de-sacs leading to one main street, we see and hear cops lights and sirens everyone they're here. It's very seldom.

Old 05-15-2013, 06:11 AM   #9
Concealed Carry Instructor

Liked 864 Times on 574 Posts
Likes Given: 216

A gun that is only under glass, even if out of sight, is an invitation to a tragedy. Every box store for office equipment sells small safes. Amazon sells small safes.

Being a responsible gun owner means stowing your guns responsibly.

Old 05-17-2013, 01:56 AM   #10

Liked 181 Times on 125 Posts

Note that if you must leave a gun in a car at, say, an airport lot, you can hide the gun in the spare tire compartment and pile other stuff over it in the trunk . Not perfect but likely to prevent theft .