Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Vehicle carry (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/vehicle-carry-90614/)

mahall 05-13-2013 02:27 PM

Vehicle carry

General thoughts on leaving a gun in a vehicle 24/7!!

Jagermeister 05-13-2013 02:39 PM

I would not personally. It can be easily stolen and used for evil deeds. I think it would be better to keep the gun on you at all times. Just my 2 cents. If you can't keep it on you at work, then I might leave it in the vehicle during this time. I might worry about it during the day though. Best park the car in the safest place available. Still, I hope those who keep a weapon in their vehicle can offer advise on hiding it while still being accessible. I am curious about this too. It is illegal where I live unless you are on the hunting revier. I cannot even carry a loaded gun unless hunting on the revier. I also have to carry it unloaded if I stop somewhere on the way home from a hunt. Anyways, Good luck.

trip286 05-13-2013 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mahall (Post 1245312)
24/7!!

Not just no, but hell no. Gotta sleep sometime?

Mine stays in my vehicle during the day. It's parked at a controlled access facility while I'm working. Beyond that, it's within sight, or my gun is on me (basically, my gun ain't in it if I can't see my vehicle and it's not at my office).

I get home, it goes in with me.

It's NEVER left completely unattended. Now, someone COULD break into my office's facility and steal it, but considering how often something like that has happened here (not once, ever), and how it would be so much easier to rob someone else, I'm pretty comfortable with my chances. Plus, I'm hardly away from my office more than an hour at a time. WMPD's narc unit is on the other side of the cyclone fence, right next to my access gate...

PanBaccha 05-13-2013 03:22 PM

Quote:

I wouldn't do it. And I have a Nano Car Vault under my seat where I place my firearm when I enter airports.

duddie10 05-13-2013 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PanBaccha (Post 1245359)

I wouldn't do it. And I have a Nano Car Vault under my seat where I place my firearm when I enter airports.

I have the same vault. I also work in a machine shop so i just put the mag in my pocket until i leave for thr day.

SSGSF 05-13-2013 04:34 PM

I work in construction so my gun sits in my truck 24/7. even when I am at home.

Doc3402 05-13-2013 04:34 PM

Quote:

Don't. Not now, not ever. Remove it as often as possible to at least reassure yourself that it hasn't been stolen.

Remember the saying out of sight, out of mind? It's very possible that your gun could be missing for some time without you noticing if you just put it there and leave it there. Can you imagine the heat you would get if your gun was left at a murder scene and you didn't have a police report to prove you reported it stolen?

BeyondTheBox 05-15-2013 04:04 AM

Mine only leave the car when I go shooting, which as of late is rare, otherwise they are in my car 24/7. One in glovebox and other under driver's seat.

I see nothing wrong with it personally. If a car has been broken into it's obvious, then you report the theft and move along.

But I live in a very low crime area. Not a single car break in in whole neighborhood in about 8 years. And yes, I'd know, we have a community flyer which keeps us apprised of all current goings on including every time the cops show up and cause of it. It's also full of cul-de-sacs leading to one main street, we see and hear cops lights and sirens everyone they're here. It's very seldom.

AR10 05-15-2013 06:11 AM

A gun that is only under glass, even if out of sight, is an invitation to a tragedy. Every box store for office equipment sells small safes. Amazon sells small safes.

Being a responsible gun owner means stowing your guns responsibly.

Rentacop 05-17-2013 01:56 AM

Note that if you must leave a gun in a car at, say, an airport lot, you can hide the gun in the spare tire compartment and pile other stuff over it in the trunk . Not perfect but likely to prevent theft .