'Upside Down' Shoulder Holster
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > 'Upside Down' Shoulder Holster

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2008, 04:36 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 'Upside Down' Shoulder Holster

A number of years ago I bought an 'Upside Down' designed leather shoulder holster (from Holsters Unlimited, Liverpool, long since gone) as I remember it was for a 2.5 inch S&W M66 revolver.....Well I currently have a Ruger SP101 .38spl. which when abroad I carry, usually when doing tracking excercises, and to cut a long story short I thought for me a holster of this design might suit. I could use other forms of carry but I would like another to keep my strong side free in undergrowth etc.

I appreciate that things have moved on a little and revolvers are not as popular in some quarters as they once where but I would appreciate it if you guys knew of a holster manufacturer over there that still carries this design?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-27-2008, 08:32 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Something along these lines? http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterG3.asp?ProductID=667&GunID=74

Old 01-28-2008, 06:37 PM   #3

Thanks but, I have a Galco Pancake holster for this revolver but Galco don't make one of these shoulder holsters. The revolver is hung inverted with the butt and backstrap toward the ground, upside down.

The weapon is retained in the holster by the leather behind the trigger guard and an elasticated material stitched effectively across the top strap locking the revolver in place by the trigger guard.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:20 PM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default "upsidedown Shoulder Holster"

BORRIS

Ron L here = SERESURPLUS

I know the design holster that your refering to! It's a Bianchi, I don't recall the model #! I had one as well and used to carry a S&W model 36, and or 37 in it! Not sure than Bianchi still makes it, or ever did to fit the Ruger 101? Remember Rugers revolvers are different in size and contour than many S&W and Colts which many of these older holsters were made for! I'd try e-mailing Bianchi and see and if they do still make it, get it direct from them, otherwise try E-Bay and gamble it will fit your revolver? These were not cheap, as the last price I paid years ago, I mean more than 25 years ago was over $50.00 USD! Good luck and let us know how that comes out?

Old 01-29-2008, 06:36 AM   #5

Thanks Ron I'll let you know how I get on, I have a holster for a detective Special and it fit (although not as snug as I would like), but your right if it's not right then there could easily be problems, your revolver falling out and clattering along the floor being just one!

Cheers

Old 01-02-2009, 06:38 AM   #6

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Default upsidown shoulder holster

I think that the houlster that you are talking about is the same one that was worn by Steve MC Queen in the movie BULLIT that he made in the 1960's I don't recall what company made that holster it could of been Safariland, I am almost certain that they made that type of holster at the time and has since disscontinued it , try the Bianchi catalog they may still make it

Last edited by REDTAIL; 01-02-2009 at 06:40 AM.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:52 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDTAIL View Post
I think that the houlster that you are talking about is the same one that was worn by Steve MC Queen in the movie BULLIT that he made in the 1960's I don't recall what company made that holster it could of been Safariland, I am almost certain that they made that type of holster at the time and has since disscontinued it , try the Bianchi catalog they may still make it

Thanks I found, Rusty Sherrick in the US, exactly what I was looking for.......

Old 01-02-2009, 11:49 PM   #8

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Try Andy at Horseshoe Leather;
http://www.holsters.org/index.htm

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-03-2009, 03:46 AM   #9

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I have to advise you that I read a story in a recent issue of handgunner magazine ( I think).

These type holsters were really big for awhile after Steve McQueen made them popular. Alot of law enforcement agencies were actually using them.

One detective was wearing this rig and was surprised to see that his revolver was cocked when he took his sport jacket off. He basically freaked out at the fact that his revolver was now cocked and pointed directly into his armpit. His fellow detectives helped to safely get the gun out of the holster and rendered safe.

The determination was that when he was in his car the movements he made while steering actually was enough to cock the hammer on his revolver. In a sitting position, the revolver was low enough to be snagged on the belt/belt loops of his pants. The holster did not have anything that would prohibit the cylinder from rotating, so the hammer was allowed to be cocked with minimal force.

Unless this problem was fixed, I think these type holsters might be dangerous.

Let me know. I imagine they would have fixed the problem, or they wouldn't be offering these holsters anymore.

Old 01-03-2009, 04:26 AM   #10

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Default upside down holster

SGT MILLER I guess that the only way to fix that problem was to only use revolvers that were spurless with the hammers removed, that would be the only senceable way to carry the gun If someone way really obcsessed in using that type of holster wouldn't you say so SGT.