Upgrades for an EDC gun - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Upgrades for an EDC gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 06:18 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5007 Times on 2428 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBear View Post
A smart car wouldn't even be considered body armor on me. Everything's bigger in Texas.

As for the comment on the springs, that is kind of what I was thinking. Maybe if I shot competitively I would give it more thought but for now, I think some sights and a case of ammo will do.

Speaking of sights, what do you think of the XS big dot sights? I'm thinking of those over the trijicon sights.
I'm not familiar with XS? Personally, I really like the Hieni Straight Eight pattern. One big rear dot and a smaller front dot. Line them up one atop the other and squeeze....

For some reason ^^THIS^^ gives me much quicker sight acquisition and improves my follow up speed.

I'd like to find some with tritium inserts to replace the 3 dot night sights on my Kimber.

Tack

Old 12-05-2012, 01:28 PM   #22

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1

I'm not familiar with XS? Personally, I really like the Hieni Straight Eight pattern. One big rear dot and a smaller front dot. Line them up one atop the other and squeeze....

For some reason ^^THIS^^ gives me much quicker sight acquisition and improves my follow up speed.

I'd like to find some with tritium inserts to replace the 3 dot night sights on my Kimber.

Tack
The xs are the same concept and I want those for quicker target/BG acquisition. I'll pick up a pair and let u know.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:25 PM   #23

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I changed out the only set of Straight 8 sights I ever had. They didn't align with anything. It's a good concept if done right but mine was line up the front dot at about 2/3 above the rear dot. Try making that work quickly. I bought some nice fiber optic sights for that gun but I have been buying Tritium sights now. Both have their advantages.

The only time I go to heavier springs is when the gun is starting to show it's age and feeding issues can crop up. If the recoil spring wears out and my pistol just won't cycle at all I will put a heavier spring in the gun because it makes the whole gun seem to work better.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:52 PM   #24

Liked 109 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBear View Post
Everything's bigger in Texas.
Ot: Alaska, pissing off texas since 1959.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:21 PM   #25

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildenton View Post
Nawww- We just ain't built a fire up there to melt the best part of it

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 12-07-2012, 04:55 AM   #26

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildenton
Haha. Who is Alaska? Hasn't pissed me off. Hell, I forgot it was up there. Plus, we're TEXANS. Your argument is invalid. We are just better

Old 12-07-2012, 08:47 AM   #27

Liked 109 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Lol. Im not in either, im in rain, i mean wa. And wa is better than tx as i can oc if i choose. And alaska is better because you dont need a permit and can cc or oc and no one cares. Every state is better than every other state in its own unique way... except Illinois, and most of cali, and ny, those places are just cess pools.... crap dont ban me please, lol.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:40 AM   #28

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Well, what about the paint for the sights to help in low light? I heard there is a "glow paint" to help sight visibility. I would love some night sights on my BT380, and something to make the suggestion of sights on my Taurus TCP stand out a bit better... any suggestions? Where can I find this paint?

Old 12-07-2012, 10:26 AM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2152 Times on 1478 Posts
Likes Given: 799

I am a big fellow myself. I am just as large as the OP in bone structure. I would be as big as him in weight if I had not made some lifestyle changes. I carry a P95 which is shorter but thicker than the Glock. I have the same problems with my pinky hanging off the grip. I got an extended magazine with a sleeve on it to make room for my hand. From a shooting perspective more grip was great. But when I got in a vehicle it was a nightmare. The magazine extension hit the buckle for the seat belt. If I shifted the gun around it hit the seat. I ended up ditching the magazine extension.

You can practice enough to ditch the back sight. Not saying you should but it will just be an accessory in time. If the OP has a free place to practice he can get a 6" spinner. By just shooting the spinner after a few hundred rounds he will start using the back sights less and less. If this proves to be a challenge he can always pick up a cheapo 22. Bulk ammo is cheap. He can work on shooting it from the hip. It will help when he goes back to the Glock. Shooting with just the front sight will be easier.

Larger sights are a pain. They snag on everything. I would just work with the 3 dot sights. I have a Ruger Blackhawk that I carry sometimes. The Blackhawk isn't as big as most would think. It's less than a half inch from fitting in a IDPA box. With the stock grips it would fit. The huge blade sight snags on my clothing and the rear sight pokes me in the hip. The same issues might arise with the Glock.

Last edited by John_Deer; 12-07-2012 at 10:48 AM.