Upgrades for an EDC gun - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Upgrades for an EDC gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 05:10 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 110 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 219

My revolver is my edc, factory springs are 17# (ruger police service six) and i put wolff 14# trigger & hammer springs. Just enough to smooth it out and let me be a little more accurate. With a glock i would just use after market springs (rarely is a full trigger job necessary), but its your gun so your choice. Just be safe. And you dont have to go overboard.

Last edited by phildenton; 12-04-2012 at 05:13 AM.

Old 12-04-2012, 05:49 AM   #12

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I agree with those that say it may not be a great idea to modify the trigger too much. Making it more smooth is not so bad but making a Glock trigger easier to pull is sorta defeating the thing that makes it safe to carry with one in the pipe.

BTW for me carrying a larger frame gun is no problem in the winter when I can wear more clothes. I can conceal a full size Sig fairly easy with the right jacket. It makes a big difference in the summer though. But I have big hands and those short grips make Glocks almost unusable for me. That has kept me from buying a Glock for many years. I want something that fits my hand better. IMO the main thing that makes a gun hard to conceal is how thick it is. But there are some double stack .45's that aren't any thicker than most single stack models. And a double stack 9mm can easily be concealed IMO in the winter anyway.

The longer I live the more I see a person needs more than one gun. Maybe I'm just thinking that way because I "want" more guns though.

Old 12-04-2012, 03:18 PM   #13

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Can someone explain to me the pros and cons of the heavier springs to the lighter springs? I keep hearing change some of the springs but I am kinda lost on what each does. I've tried looking it up and not much luck.

What spring strength does what and which spring does what?

I know I sound like a noob asking this but I've been around guns all my life and never messed with the springs.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:40 PM   #14

Liked 5011 Times on 2430 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBear View Post
Can someone explain to me the pros and cons of the heavier springs to the lighter springs? I keep hearing change some of the springs but I am kinda lost on what each does. I've tried looking it up and not much luck.

What spring strength does what and which spring does what?

I know I sound like a noob asking this but I've been around guns all my life and never messed with the springs.
TB...upgrading your recoil spring is sorta like upgrading the spark plugs in your car. Enthusiasts will proudly proclaim there added horsepower, cool factor, Ect...

IMHO it's really not necessary unless your shooting + P rated ammo.

Competition shooters will talk about the benefit of increased cycling speed
Wildcat Handloaders will talk about needing stiffer springs due to hotter loads

All are valid points but if your shooting commercially loaded standard pressure ammo...well...that's what the pistol was designed to shoot so it's really just about the cool factor and how far you'd like to take it.

Sorta like the two teenagers who both drive Honda Civics. One kid is saving for colledge and his car represents basic transportation. He spends money on gas and maintenance out necessity. The other kid reads ever street racer publication out there and between wheels, tires, and stereo...has invested more in add ons than he paid for the car. He's an enthusiast and there is nothing wrong with that...

It's just about doing whatever brings you joy.

Tack

Old 12-04-2012, 08:18 PM   #15

Liked 2182 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildenton View Post
There are several things that can be upgraded; sights, springs, trigger, grips.

Quote:
for semi autos polish the feed ramp, add light and/or laser, threaded barrel, muzzle brake, silencer (where legal) scope mount and pistol scope.
there are other accessories for glocks, themed type items, like mag base plate, plate for the back of the slide, etc.

with my revolver i went with custom grips and a new set of reduced power springs, made a world of difference.
For a concealed weapon

Old 12-04-2012, 08:35 PM   #16

Liked 295 Times on 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post

TB...upgrading your recoil spring is sorta like upgrading the spark plugs in your car. Enthusiasts will proudly proclaim there added horsepower, cool factor, Ect...

IMHO it's really not necessary unless your shooting + P rated ammo.

Competition shooters will talk about the benefit of increased cycling speed
Wildcat Handloaders will talk about needing stiffer springs due to hotter loads

All are valid points but if your shooting commercially loaded standard pressure ammo...well...that's what the pistol was designed to shoot so it's really just about the cool factor and how far you'd like to take it.

Sorta like the two teenagers who both drive Honda Civics. One kid is saving for colledge and his car represents basic transportation. He spends money on gas and maintenance out necessity. The other kid reads ever street racer publication out there and between wheels, tires, and stereo...has invested more in add ons than he paid for the car. He's an enthusiast and there is nothing wrong with that...

It's just about doing whatever brings you joy.

Tack
Lol simply put, "Yup"!

I do it just because I like a stiffer slide rack when I load the handgun. I like it to slam back so I don't have to repeat the process because it didn't completely set on a chambered round. I had that happen a lot with all but one gun I've owned and is simply a real annoyance. You either lose a round or have to reload another round back into the mag. For me it's an easy, and cheap, time saving and stress reducing fix.
Tackleberry1 Likes This 
Old 12-04-2012, 11:59 PM   #17

Liked 5011 Times on 2430 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
For a concealed weapon
Hoss

The OP is like 6'4" and 300+ pounds...Sounds like TexasBear could conceal a smart car...so yes, for concealed carry.

Tack

Old 12-05-2012, 12:27 AM   #18

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1

Hoss

The OP is like 6'4" and 300+ pounds...Sounds like TexasBear could conceal a smart car...so yes, for concealed carry.

Tack
A smart car wouldn't even be considered body armor on me. Everything's bigger in Texas.

As for the comment on the springs, that is kind of what I was thinking. Maybe if I shot competitively I would give it more thought but for now, I think some sights and a case of ammo will do.

Speaking of sights, what do you think of the XS big dot sights? I'm thinking of those over the trijicon sights.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:39 AM   #19

Liked 2182 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1

Hoss

Tack
Well shoot- He's only got 2" & 100lbs on me!

Old 12-05-2012, 03:29 AM   #20

Liked 110 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post

For a concealed weapon
Grips that actually fit my hand (looking nice is a bonus)
And the slight reduced strength springs simply to smooth out the trigger pull.

I listed all the possible parts that can be tweeked/upgraded simply because some people do those.