Turned in my paperwork
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Turned in my paperwork

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2011, 01:35 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Default Turned in my paperwork

I live in Virginia and here a person can get their CHP on-line for about $40 to take the course and then $50 to the state for the actual permit, so yesterday I took the course it consist of watching a 65 minute streaming video and then a 20 question test based on what you just watched on the video. You do have to score at least 75% which means you have to answer 15 of the 20 question correctly, I scored 100%. After you complete the test successfully you are prompted to print out the certificate, then you fill out an application for a "Concealed Handgun Permit" which is on the Virginia state police website (a link is provided) on the test site. You then take the certificate, application and a stamped self - addressed envelope to the Circuit Court in your county and file it with a clerk, that's when you pay the 50 bucks and by state law they are required to either send your permit within 45 days or deny it if you don't receive something from them in the 45 days you can either write them or go to their office and get a temporary 90 day permit until you receive the official 5 year permit unless your application has been denied for some reason. I don’t know if I’ll conceal carry all that much but when I want to I’ll have my permit. Also in Virginia there is a law that says you can only buy 1 firearm a month (31 days) with the CHP you can buy guns every day if you want to so that’s pretty cool. I have a maximum 44 days till I get my permit.

“Life’s tough … it’s even tougher if you’re stupid.”
John Wayne

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-10-2011, 02:09 PM   #2
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7022 Times on 4225 Posts
Likes Given: 8461

Good luck!

Old 03-11-2011, 12:12 PM   #3

Default Follow up

rjgnwdc: Sir; congratulations.

Follow up with the ''when'' you recieve your permit. Thanks

Craig

♥ Exercise daily - walk with the Lord!

Old 03-11-2011, 12:26 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8703 Times on 3766 Posts
Likes Given: 1338

Congrats! BTW, I also live in VA- in a rural county, where if you can show a DD 214 attesting to military service, you just met the training requirements. it took the folks in this little bitty country place 3 days to issue mine.

GOD I love being in the sticks!

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 03-11-2011, 02:13 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Congrats as well, pretty slick process. We had similar legislation introduced in Tennessee last year, military veteran having steamlined process, but it died in committee. Don't know what happened, I got mine the long way, took 90 days and about $150 total. Pops

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But the U.S. ARMED FORCES don't have that problem."
Ronald Wilson Reagan, 1911-2004, 40th President of the United States of America

Old 03-11-2011, 03:41 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default I think most of us would too..

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Congrats! BTW, I also live in VA- in a rural county, where if you can show a DD 214 attesting to military service, you just met the training requirements. it took the folks in this little bitty country place 3 days to issue mine.

GOD I love being in the sticks!
Yeah I would love to be in the sticks, and will be once I can finally retire from this dang rat race I'm in.

John Wayne

Old 03-26-2011, 05:55 PM   #7

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

watch an online video? $40 for certification and $50 for a permit...all online? I hate you all

J/K I am from New Jersey...

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 03-28-2011, 12:49 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adyta View Post
Congrats man. Might be just me, but it seems that process was a nightmare haha

I live in New Hampshire. Took a day and a half to get my permit once I filed the paperwork (1 paper), and only cost $10.
I know it is kinda crazy that a traditionally Red state puts us through so much and a traditionally Blue state such as yours makes it so simple and it seems like Vermont is even Bluer and it's even easier to get one.

John Wayne

Old 03-28-2011, 08:32 PM   #9

I just submitted my application and certificates to SLED (South Carolina Law Enforcement Division) about 10 days ago. Here they require a person to take an 8 hour course (or two 4 hour courses in my case) and qualify on the range as well. Course is very simple, a few videos, lots of talking about whats right and whats wrong and some basic handgun instruction. Course was 90$ and it cost another 50$ paid to SLED to get the permit. Of course, that is if they run your record and allow you to have it. They have a maximum of 90 days to either tell you no or issue you the permit. Instructor said if you don't hear anything in the first two weeks then your usually good to go. INTERESTING NOTE: He also said that if you have been victim to a sexual assault, domestic violence, stalking etc... and send in a copy of the police report with your application that they will usually have your permit in your hands in less than 10 days! Just thought it was interesting. Congrats!!

”The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed.”
~Alexander Hamilton

Old 03-29-2011, 01:56 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Glock4Epton congratulations and good luck with getting your permit, it's kinda weird that Virginia has Reciprocity Agreements with South Carolina that allows me to conceal carry in your state with the minimal training required here compared to the training that's required for you as a South Carolina resident

John Wayne