Tuckable IWB holster With Retention for Sig P226? (Bizarre, I know)

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Tuckable IWB holster With Retention for Sig P226? (Bizarre, I know)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2013, 01:59 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Tuckable IWB holster With Retention for Sig P226? (Bizarre, I know)

Hi All,

I know this sounds like a bizarre question... please bear with me.
I'm looking for a very specific kind of holster: For CC of my Sig P226 I'd like a tuckable, IWB holster with two belt loops **with some kind of retention**, even if it's just a thumb break. Ideally the holster will also have adjustable cant.

I know that a lot of people think retention is unnecessary for concealed carry, especially IWB... but I don't want to take any chances.

I also know that a lot of people think retention is a bad thing because it can slow down your draw in an emergency. I believe in training though; training with your firearm (or any tool, for that matter) over and over and over. After thousands of practice draws, any level of retention can be disengaged instantly and smoothly (just as the Level 3 guys!), and while I know this is a personal preference, my personal preference is to put in the time and effort to do the additional training to be able to draw my weapon smoothly even with a retention holster.

Anyway, I've looked high and low and I can't find any holster that fits that bill. Does anyone know of one?
(I carry my P226 in approximately the 4:30-5:00 position, canted forward significantly)

Any help anybody could provide would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

C2K4

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-28-2013, 04:55 PM   #2

IWB holsters sit inside the pants to varying degrees, making it difficult to add "locking" retention. Most kydex holsters, that are good anyway, will have some level of retention built in, even though there is no band or lever that physically holds the pistol in. A good kydex holster should be able to retain the pistol while holding it upside down. IMO, if you need more security than that from a concealed carry IWB holster then you need specialty training with H to H combat, personal defense, defensive handgun training etc... There is only so much you can expect, or rely on, from equipment. There are some holsters that are considered "concealed" but are OWB. They sit high on the belt and you have to pull a shirt over them. Maybe not as concealed but you have more options for retention. DeSantis make leather holsters with thumb breaks that operate like this. Hope this helps!

Aaron

Old 03-31-2013, 12:51 PM   #3

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for the response.
I have four years of hand to hand combat training. Even so, anything that can possibly be done to minimize the possibility that my gun could be used against myself or my loved ones is something I'm going to do; is it likely that someone is going to take my gun? No, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to do anything I can to make it even less likely!

Anyway, I've found a few IWB holsters with thumb breaks that may work... unfortunately they're the kind that only have one belt loop/clip. I may ask some of the custom guys about making one of their wider, 2-loop models with a thumb break.