Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Trying To Get My GA CCW...

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 02:47 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
tmoore912's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Savannah, Georgia
Posts: 61
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Training is a very good idea. State mandated training to get a carry license is a very bad idea. (BTW, I use to think mandated training was a good idea too, so I am telling on myself)

Training/gun handling is a perishable skill. How is a one time state mandated training class (4-8 hour, 2 day, range qualification............etc.) going to keep someone from being unsafe with a firearm. It is a "Feel Good" "Reasonable" restriction to a carry license. There is NO research or study anywhere that shows a one time mandatory training class keeps someone from being unsafe with a firearm they carry. The only thing that one time mandatory training class requirement does is keeps more people from getting a carry license because of cost and time constraints.

Show me the hundreds of thousands of news reports talking about all the legal carriers shooting/maiming/killing innocent bystanders, and I might start to believe what some of you are saying. Carry Permit holders are practically the safest and lawful firearms handlers anywhere. The revocation rates of permit holders are miniscule all across the country. Do the research, you will see for yourself.

I am so glad that the Georgia Legislature is for more freedom, and understands that a mandatory training class is a undo burden/restriction to obtaining a GWCL. Georgia has one of the highest % of carry permit holders of any state in the country, because we don't burden our citizens with a mandatory training requirement.

I recommend to those who would like to research for themselves about this issue, the John Lott, Jr. book MORE GUNS LESS CRIME Understanding Crime and Gun Control Laws. I think it is in its Third Edition now.

__________________

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent
GCO.org
SAF

tmoore912 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:50 PM   #32
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
treehugger49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Newnan,Georgia
Posts: 421
Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron0022 View Post
Would you want a new driver whipping around your neighborhood in a Ferrari? I support gun rights but I don't think everyone needs to be carrying one around, especially with some of the things I've read here. One of the previous posters talked about a class requirement infringing on his rights, I agree with that also, I just feel like if you are going to be carting a gun around in a crowded public place that you should demonstrate proficiency with it.
If you're going to vote, you should have some knowledge of the issues and the ability to make intelligent choices, too, but there is no test to discern ones intellectual ability to grasp the issues, either.

A rather large percentage of the voters who voted for Obama in our recent election couldn't identify the vice-presidential running mate. Yet they get to vote.

If you start putting conditions and restrictions on rights, they eventually get diluted into privileges for certain special groups. As much sense as training makes for anyone manipulating firearms and especially carrying, it should not be mandated by the government. Let common sense and individual liberty prevail.

I guess this really should be a separate thread, so I'll leave it at that.
__________________

XD-40 service, XD-9sc, member GeorgiaCarry.Org, National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, North American Hunting Club, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

treehugger49 is offline  
tmoore912 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:54 PM   #33
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
tmoore912's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Savannah, Georgia
Posts: 61
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJohn364 View Post
I agree on the fact that there should be a training requirement before getting a carry permit. I look at it along the same lines as a driver's license. I know, I know...driving isn't a Constitutional right, but you get the idea. The fact that you can just go fill out an application and all is well is kinda disturbing.
Then why didn't you follow your belief, and take a training class before going to the Probate Court and applying for your Georgia Weapons Carry license?

I ask this question, because you have given no indication that you indeed took a training class.
__________________

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent
GCO.org
SAF

tmoore912 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:03 PM   #34
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
tigerstyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 21
Default

Check out georgiapacking.org and georgiacarry.org there are some good guys with some very helpful info on those sites

__________________
tigerstyle is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:05 PM   #35
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
danolator's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 630
Liked 64 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron0022

Would you want a new driver whipping around your neighborhood in a Ferrari? I support gun rights but I don't think everyone needs to be carrying one around, especially with some of the things I've read here. One of the previous posters talked about a class requirement infringing on his rights, I agree with that also, I just feel like if you are going to be carting a gun around in a crowded public place that you should demonstrate proficiency with it.
I think we're saying the same thing. Peace.
__________________
Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. My rod is a GLOCK and it comforts me
danolator is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:06 PM   #36
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
treehugger49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Newnan,Georgia
Posts: 421
Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerstyle View Post
Check out georgiapacking.org and georgiacarry.org there are some good guys with some very helpful info on those sites
Good idea, and worth repeating!

Oops, he already edited out the other one...
__________________

XD-40 service, XD-9sc, member GeorgiaCarry.Org, National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, North American Hunting Club, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

treehugger49 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:57 PM   #37
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Byron0022's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 614
Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by treehugger49

If you're going to vote, you should have some knowledge of the issues and the ability to make intelligent choices, too, but there is no test to discern ones intellectual ability to grasp the issues, either.

A rather large percentage of the voters who voted for Obama in our recent election couldn't identify the vice-presidential running mate. Yet they get to vote.

If you start putting conditions and restrictions on rights, they eventually get diluted into privileges for certain special groups. As much sense as training makes for anyone manipulating firearms and especially carrying, it should not be mandated by the government. Let common sense and individual liberty prevail.

I guess this really should be a separate thread, so I'll leave it at that.
It's your right to spank your child too but go ahead and try it in public. Common sense people, most people don't know the difference in a slide lock and a mag release. It only makes sense, for both parties to have a little bit of instruction to go with a permit that says you can carry a gun around in public.
__________________
Byron0022 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:52 PM   #38
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
treehugger49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Newnan,Georgia
Posts: 421
Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron0022 View Post
It's your right to spank your child too but go ahead and try it in public. Common sense people, most people don't know the difference in a slide lock and a mag release. It only makes sense, for both parties to have a little bit of instruction to go with a permit that says you can carry a gun around in public.
That's not common sense. That's being unfamiliar with weapons in general - and most people out there carrying aren't unfamiliar with their weapons.

The statistics show that.
__________________

XD-40 service, XD-9sc, member GeorgiaCarry.Org, National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, North American Hunting Club, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

treehugger49 is offline  
tmoore912 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:37 PM   #39
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
tmoore912's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Savannah, Georgia
Posts: 61
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron0022 View Post
Common sense people, most people don't know the difference in a slide lock and a mag release. It only makes sense, for both parties to have a little bit of instruction to go with a permit that says you can carry a gun around in public.
The State of Georgia's 600,000+ GWCL holders and any other "Shall Issue" state with no mandated training requirement disagrees with your common sense.

John Lott argues that training requirements and high permit fees have a negative effect on public safety.

Quote:
John Lott, Jr. wrote:
The results also indicate that permitting fees are highly detrimental. For each $10 increase in fees, the percentage of the population with permits falls by one half of one percentage point. For the thirty-one states with right-to-carry laws, this increases victimization costs by $1.7 billion. The large effect from higher permitting fees might be due to the poorest and most vulnerable being especially discouraged from obtaining a permit.... High fees are more likely to deter individuals from carrying guns when those individuals are poor. When fees are high, there may be a smaller crime-reduction benefit from right-to-carry laws even if the same percentage of the population were to obtain permits.

John R. Lott, Jr, More Guns, Less Crime, 3/e: Understanding Crime and Gun Control Laws, The University of Chicago Press, 2010, p. 181
__________________

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent
GCO.org
SAF

tmoore912 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:24 PM   #40
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Byron0022's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 614
Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by treehugger49

That's not common sense. That's being unfamiliar with weapons in general - and most people out there carrying aren't unfamiliar with their weapons.

The statistics show that.
And common sense would be to get some instruction on how to use the weapon before you start carrying it around. Are you people so scared to go to a class that you are willing to endanger yourself and others? I've spent a deployment in the Middle East with a Sgt Maj with your same mentality, he killed 4 clearing barrels.
__________________
Byron0022 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes




Newest Threads