Trying To Get My GA CCW... - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Trying To Get My GA CCW...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 08:44 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Congrats on your Georgia Weapons Carry License. Nice to hear the turn around time was short. It didn't use to be that way in most counties. You can thank GeorgiaCarry.org for the legislation that now makes it easier to get a GWCL and the timeframe they have to deliver it to you.

Since it seems you are new to carrying in Georgia, please read the Georgia carry laws "In Plain English". It will probably answer most questions you have.

Georgia has a Weapons Carry license not a Conceal Carry license. The license allows you to carry concealed or openly, and it is not just for guns. Good luck.

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent
GCO.org
SAF

CJohn364 Likes This 
Old 11-12-2012, 12:24 AM   #22

Liked 64 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoore912
Congrats on your Georgia Weapons Carry License. Nice to hear the turn around time was short. It didn't use to be that way in most counties. You can thank GeorgiaCarry.org for the legislation that now makes it easier to get a GWCL and the timeframe they have to deliver it to you.

Since it seems you are new to carrying in Georgia, please read the Georgia carry laws "In Plain English". It will probably answer most questions you have.

Georgia has a Weapons Carry license not a Conceal Carry license. The license allows you to carry concealed or openly, and it is not just for guns. Good luck.
Good points. We get so used to referring to licenses as CCW, we tend to overlook just how good we have it in GA. I can't imagine how frustrating it must be in some of the other states. That said, it wouldn't be a bad idea to require a class or prove some firearm proficiency. I see way too many people around Atlanta ranges without even the most rudimentary knowledge.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:48 AM   #23

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danolator View Post
That said, it wouldn't be a bad idea to require a class or prove some firearm proficiency.
I couldn't disagree with you more.

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent
GCO.org
SAF

Old 11-12-2012, 05:42 AM   #24

Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoore912
Ehhh, I think there should be a required class. Some states don't recognize Ga's permit just for that reason, also there is a thread in here about people carrying a weapon with one out of the chamber. If you are that uncomfortable with your sidearm you should consider formal training or leaving it at home.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:50 PM   #25

Liked 27 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Yeah, I just got used to calling it a CCW. When I was researching the requirements for it, I was surprised that there was no training requirement. I found a couple places that offer classes, though. I've also just been kinda browsing YouTube videos on different techniques that are interesting, but I can't practice them on the range I go to, which sucks.

Old 11-12-2012, 01:03 PM   #26

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danolator View Post
........That said, it wouldn't be a bad idea to require a class or prove some firearm proficiency. I see way too many people around Atlanta ranges without even the most rudimentary knowledge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoore912 View Post
I'm with you on that one.....

Whereas I heartily agree with the idea of getting training if you're going to carry, particularly if you are not intimately familiar with firearms and all that carrying involves, the requirement by a government entity to "prove" yourself before issuance of the certificate goes to "infringement" in my book, and the Second Amendment is pretty clear on that point.

XD-40 service, XD-9sc, member GeorgiaCarry.Org, National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, North American Hunting Club, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

Old 11-12-2012, 01:11 PM   #27

Liked 27 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I agree on the fact that there should be a training requirement before getting a carry permit. I look at it along the same lines as a driver's license. I know, I know...driving isn't a Constitutional right, but you get the idea. The fact that you can just go fill out an application and all is well is kinda disturbing.

Old 11-12-2012, 01:44 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJohn364
I agree on the fact that there should be a training requirement before getting a carry permit. I look at it along the same lines as a driver's license. I know, I know...driving isn't a Constitutional right, but you get the idea. The fact that you can just go fill out an application and all is well is kinda disturbing.
For concealed carry, yes, but to purchase and own firearms, no.

Old 11-12-2012, 02:26 PM   #29

Liked 64 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron0022

For concealed carry, yes, but to purchase and own firearms, no.
Isn't that the topic, getting a license to carry? Why should you be denied the right to buy a gun? I can own a car, but if I don't pass a test and prove minimum proficiency, I can't drive it. Just sayin.

Old 11-12-2012, 02:37 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by danolator

Isn't that the topic, getting a license to carry? Why should you be denied the right to buy a gun? I can own a car, but if I don't pass a test and prove minimum proficiency, I can't drive it. Just sayin.
Would you want a new driver whipping around your neighborhood in a Ferrari? I support gun rights but I don't think everyone needs to be carrying one around, especially with some of the things I've read here. One of the previous posters talked about a class requirement infringing on his rights, I agree with that also, I just feel like if you are going to be carting a gun around in a crowded public place that you should demonstrate proficiency with it.