True story - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > True story

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2013, 11:25 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1139 Times on 591 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixfix View Post
This story exemplifies the need for multiple self defense options. Carrying less lethal and non lethal tools is important and training in basic self defense (hand to hand) should be mandatory for any concealed carry license holder. Killing someone who means to whoop your butt is neither appropriate, justified, or legal (in most jurisdictions).
My friend does hold a 3rd degree black belt, but he is also now 61 years old and 50 pounds overweight. His opponents were half his age, members of a criminal gang, and were known to carry weapons. Considering the background facts (which I know I have not included) there is every reason to believe that serious bodily injury would have occurred. This person is also an attorney, well versed in criminal law. He understands the law regarding self defense.

He is also an ex-marine, and has been shooting for 40 years, and is one of the best shots I know. He just got careless that day. That is the point of this thread.

A fight is one thing . . . a beating is another. Like my buddy, I'm not taking a whuppin that will put me in the hospital , or, if it went wrong, in the ground.

Old 04-28-2013, 11:30 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1726 Times on 897 Posts
Likes Given: 3651

People have been killed getting a butt whoopin.

Old 04-28-2013, 11:31 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I wonder, could he have Bidened them with the little revolver still in the pocket? (popped off a warning shot)

That would have looked pretty nuts ("get back my vest is loaded") and probably drawn some police attention in a non-positive way.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Tackleberry1 Likes This 
Old 04-28-2013, 11:39 PM   #14

Liked 1917 Times on 1066 Posts
Likes Given: 1269

I have no problem with the guy drawing. I am not going to wait until I am unconcious on the ground to draw my weapon. Serious bodily injury is reason enough for me. I would rather go to court than the hospital any day.

My question is with the weapon itself. I carry a couple of different guns in my pocket, but in a pocket holster to protect the trigger. The revolver he was carrying...did it have an exposed hammer on it? That is the main reason people have a problem drawing a revolver from a pocket. My J-frame has a concealed hammer so that it cannot snag on a pocket. A lot of people have had their hammer bobbed to avoid snagging. But I would still use a pocket holter.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 04-28-2013, 11:45 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
I wonder, could he have Bidened them with the little revolver still in the pocket? (popped off a warning shot)

That would have looked pretty nuts ("get back my vest is loaded") and probably drawn some police attention in a non-positive way.
As a matter of fact . . .

Old 04-28-2013, 11:49 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
I have no problem with the guy drawing. I am not going to wait until I am unconcious on the ground to draw my weapon. Serious bodily injury is reason enough for me. I would rather go to court than the hospital any day.

My question is with the weapon itself. I carry a couple of different guns in my pocket, but in a pocket holster to protect the trigger. The revolver he was carrying...did it have an exposed hammer on it? That is the main reason people have a problem drawing a revolver from a pocket. My J-frame has a concealed hammer so that it cannot snag on a pocket. A lot of people have had their hammer bobbed to avoid snagging. But I would still use a pocket holter.
Yup, it had an exposed hammer, and that was part of the problem. As stated, this was not his usual carry gun; but he got in a hurry and just picked up the snubbie, threw it in his inside vest pocket, and went. He has holsters for it, and for his other guns (he has one custom made shoulder holster for a Ruger .45LC single action, with an additional small holster on the shoulder strap for a American Derringer in .45/.410 that I drool over, but that's another story).

Old 04-28-2013, 11:50 PM   #17

Liked 4886 Times on 2368 Posts
Likes Given: 1524

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixfix View Post
This story exemplifies the need for multiple self defense options. Carrying less lethal and non lethal tools is important and training in basic self defense (hand to hand) should be mandatory for any concealed carry license holder. Killing someone who means to whoop your butt is neither appropriate, justified, or legal (in most jurisdictions).
Some folks "nixfix & Chainfire" need to look up the definition of "serious bodily injury"... and if you don't think 1 grown man, let alone 3, are capable of achieving this threshold then I suggest you review FBI death statistics for "hands and feet".

Tack
Old 04-29-2013, 12:35 AM   #18

Liked 292 Times on 252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
If someone, or a couple of someones, intend to just whip your butt, and you draw down on them, that would be a crime where I live.

The test for drawing is the same test for shooting. Reasonable fear of death, or serious bodily injury of yourself or someone else. A simple butt-whoopin, would not meet that criteria.

Reasonable may well be decided by a jury. Some jurors don't like guns.......
Your definition of serious bodily harm and mine are completely different then. A butt whopping from 2 people is serious bodily harm to me and any logical thinking person I could imagine or know.

Last edited by BeyondTheBox; 04-29-2013 at 12:58 AM.
Tackleberry1 Likes This 
Old 04-29-2013, 12:53 AM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2144 Times on 1344 Posts
Likes Given: 2160

No I'm sure Chainfire and nixfix, if they had a gun on them, would just stand there and let the hoods beat the crap out of them. Maybe do a little karate or tae kwando to save their asses. You got a gun on you, the hoods are gonna whup you, take your gun and maybe shoot you with it. Nothing more fun than getting shot by your own gun.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:02 AM   #20

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

there is always a firearm involved in EVERY altercation

YOURS!!!

you only have a split second to make a decision, you do not have the time to debate or second guess yourself.

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

rocshaman Likes This