Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   True story (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/true-story-89736/)

txpossum 04-28-2013 07:30 PM

True story

A friend of mine who has a CCL had an occasion to pull his weapon a few weeks ago, when he was accosted by two individuals whom he knew meant him harm. It was a choice of pulling his weapon or taking a beating. My friend didn't feel like a trip to the hospital that day.

Usually he carries a 1911 or, lately, a Glock in either a inside the waistband holster, or occasionally, a shoulder holster. This day, however, he just stuck a snub-nosed Ruger SP 101 in the inside pocket of his vest (he was on his motorcycle).

When the moment came that he realized pulling the firearm was warranted, he almost didn't clear the gun in time. The revolver hung up in the pocket, and he had to work to clear it. Fortunately he was able to free it in time; everybody walked away, and nobody got hurt.

I've done the same thing as my buddy -- just stuck the gun somewhere on me, assuming that having it was enoungh without enough consideration about how quickly and smoothly I could draw it. I think we're both going to put more thought into carrying with proper holsters these days.

MrWray 04-28-2013 07:51 PM

your description of the incident is pretty vague, what happened for him to unholster his sidearm? there needs to be more to it than just being approached by two individuals.

BeyondTheBox 04-28-2013 07:53 PM

Yeah, I too have recently found value in holsters, whereas before I didn't care much for, nor saw point in their use for pocket carry. Now I see how they position the gun for a cleaner draw and the importance of that is not easily missed.

Glad your friend is good and safe and smart. I always worry about pulling a gun on unarmed attackers being misconstrued as escalation of the situation, but when it's multiple attackers I think it's more than understandable and reasonable.

MrWray 04-28-2013 07:58 PM

i guess that i missed the point of the story,my bad.

yes, carrying a firearm without a holster can cause problems if the need arises to use it. i myself wont go without a holster

txpossum 04-28-2013 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrWray (Post 1230271)
your description of the incident is pretty vague, what happened for him to unholster his sidearm? there needs to be more to it than just being approached by two individuals.

Yeah, I was deliberately vauge about the details -- not my story to make public.

Tackleberry1 04-28-2013 10:04 PM

This is why I do NOT pocket carry.

Easy enough to slip an open hand into or out of a pocket but slip you open hand into "any" pocket... Now, make a fist and try to remove your hand?

Does not work very well does it?

An effective carry method is one that allows you to properly grip, draw, and fire, in that order...and pocket carry just does not do that.

I much prefer the belly band for this reason. No different than drawing from an ITP but much more comfortable and with the right "size" pistol, it's just as concealable as pocket carry.

Tack

Chainfire 04-28-2013 10:12 PM

If someone, or a couple of someones, intend to just whip your butt, and you draw down on them, that would be a crime where I live.

The test for drawing is the same test for shooting. Reasonable fear of death, or serious bodily injury of yourself or someone else. A simple butt-whoopin, would not meet that criteria.

Reasonable may well be decided by a jury. Some jurors don't like guns.......

rickster 04-28-2013 10:15 PM

Let's just be glad he is OK. It also makes a statement as to how important it is to make sure we are carrying the right weapon in the right way.

hardluk1 04-28-2013 10:18 PM

That story show a prime reason to not carry handguns that you are not practice well enought with or of different design. Even how you carry. If he had a baby glock he probably could have carried IWB or pick another handgun line if he needed a large, medium and small handgun it to one design. Let it be all glock, xd's, m&p or kahrs . They can cover all size's.

nixfix 04-28-2013 10:23 PM

This story exemplifies the need for multiple self defense options. Carrying less lethal and non lethal tools is important and training in basic self defense (hand to hand) should be mandatory for any concealed carry license holder. Killing someone who means to whoop your butt is neither appropriate, justified, or legal (in most jurisdictions).