Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Truck gun in Pa

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2012, 12:30 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2080 Times on 1226 Posts
Likes Given: 447

Quote:
Originally Posted by fupuk View Post
+1 on this. Im in Michigan and have been looking at getting an Ak pistol to keep it in my truck for when the family goes on vacation. The folding stock im not 100% sure about. I know that with a stock it would have to be registered as a SBR and those are illegal in Michigan. I will have to look into that this week.
For clarification I wasn't talking about an AK pistol with a stock. It's a quirk in MI law that if the rifle had a folding stock that makes it under a certain overall length then it has to be registered in MI as a pistol. The rifle would still meet the federal requirements as a non-SBR so it is legal to have in MI but MI makes you register a rifle of that length as a pistol.

MI doesn't allow loaded rifles in cars but, as a weird consequence of their quirky law about overall length registration as a pistol, a CCW holder can have this particular rifle loaded because Michigan is making you call it a pistol.

If you got an AK pistol and wanted to out a stock on it that would fall under federal law and require BATFE registration, tax stamps etc. As you pointed out MI dies not allow BATFE SBRs, so that option is out.

Old 11-18-2012, 03:09 PM   #12

Liked 2178 Times on 1469 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
For clarification I wasn't talking about an AK pistol with a stock. It's a quirk in MI law that if the rifle had a folding stock that makes it under a certain overall length then it has to be registered in MI as a pistol. The rifle would still meet the federal requirements as a non-SBR so it is legal to have in MI but MI makes you register a rifle of that length as a pistol.

MI doesn't allow loaded rifles in cars but, as a weird consequence of their quirky law about overall length registration as a pistol, a CCW holder can have this particular rifle loaded because Michigan is making you call it a pistol.

If you got an AK pistol and wanted to out a stock on it that would fall under federal law and require BATFE registration, tax stamps etc. As you pointed out MI dies not allow BATFE SBRs, so that option is out.
Dam, how ya'll keep up with all the strange laws in states like that

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 11-18-2012, 04:48 PM   #13

Liked 280 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Im still learning new stuff everyday about Michigan gun laws. They are wierd but im trying to figure them out.