Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Truck gun in Pa

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2012, 01:28 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 162 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Truck gun in Pa

I was considering keeping my marlin 1894 under my back seat. I was looking unto our laws and it seems that only sub 16 inch barrel rifles can be carried loaded in a vehicle. Does this make the least bit of sense to anybody?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-13-2012, 11:41 PM   #2

Liked 285 Times on 247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumman
I was considering keeping my marlin 1894 under my back seat. I was looking unto our laws and it seems that only sub 16 inch barrel rifles can be carried loaded in a vehicle. Does this make the least bit of sense to anybody?
No sense at all. Shotgun perhaps, but rifle, nope.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:55 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 654 Posts
Likes Given: 472

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumman View Post
I speculate it is geared to dissuade "road hunters". WI allows loaded handguns, but not long guns. Sounds like PA has a similar intent.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:14 AM   #4

It just seems to me that if I can legally conceal weapons, then I should be allowed to conceal any weapon I can legally own. I think I may write my congressman and make a suggestion that this be changed. But They are too busy burning piles of $100 bills in Harrisburg to worry about something as unimportant as this.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:45 AM   #5

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Lock the rifle in your toolbox. I can unlock my toolbox and get the gun out faster than most people can get a gun from behind the seat.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 11-14-2012, 01:49 AM   #6

That is a good point but the fact still remains that it cannot be loaded

Old 11-14-2012, 02:37 AM   #7

Liked 477 Times on 293 Posts
Likes Given: 228

It does appear that they're concerned about hunting while in vehicles. I wouldn't let it bother you too much. We have much greater problems ahead of us. Much greater!

Old 11-17-2012, 12:35 PM   #8

Liked 2178 Times on 1469 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumman
Anything less than a 16" barrel wud have to be classified as a SBR--

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
No sense at all. Shotgun perhaps, but rifle, nope.
You get caught will a SG with a 16" barrel & you'll be useing the prison computer to reply nonsense

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 11-17-2012, 10:42 PM   #9

Liked 2075 Times on 1222 Posts
Likes Given: 445

Ditto to what Hossfly said. Having a rifle with a barrel under 16" would have to be registered as a Short barreled rifle in accordance with BATFE requirements. Then you would have to see if PA allows SBRs at all. So, it soes seem that they are trying to prevent loaded rifles and shotguns in cars all together. Allowing only a pistol to be carried loaded in a vehicle.

I know, Michigan had a law about rifles with an overall length of less than 28" or something like that. So a folding stocked AK that is in compliance with federal law would not meet the definition of a rifle in Michigan, and those, then needed to be registered as a pistol in MI. The good news there is, that if you had a folding stock AK, it would have to be registered as a pistol and then could be carried in your car loaded if you had a permit.

Here in WA, they don't allow loaded rifles or shotguns in your vehicle.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:09 AM   #10

Liked 280 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc
Ditto to what Hossfly said. Having a rifle with a barrel under 16" would have to be registered as a Short barreled rifle in accordance with BATFE requirements. Then you would have to see if PA allows SBRs at all. So, it soes seem that they are trying to prevent loaded rifles and shotguns in cars all together. Allowing only a pistol to be carried loaded in a vehicle.

I know, Michigan had a law about rifles with an overall length of less than 28" or something like that. So a folding stocked AK that is in compliance with federal law would not meet the definition of a rifle in Michigan, and those, then needed to be registered as a pistol in MI. The good news there is, that if you had a folding stock AK, it would have to be registered as a pistol and then could be carried in your car loaded if you had a permit.

Here in WA, they don't allow loaded rifles or shotguns in your vehicle.
+1 on this. Im in Michigan and have been looking at getting an Ak pistol to keep it in my truck for when the family goes on vacation. The folding stock im not 100% sure about. I know that with a stock it would have to be registered as a SBR and those are illegal in Michigan. I will have to look into that this week.