Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Truck gun in Pa (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/truck-gun-pa-76293/)

magnumman 11-13-2012 01:28 PM

Truck gun in Pa

I was considering keeping my marlin 1894 under my back seat. I was looking unto our laws and it seems that only sub 16 inch barrel rifles can be carried loaded in a vehicle. Does this make the least bit of sense to anybody?

BeyondTheBox 11-13-2012 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magnumman
I was considering keeping my marlin 1894 under my back seat. I was looking unto our laws and it seems that only sub 16 inch barrel rifles can be carried loaded in a vehicle. Does this make the least bit of sense to anybody?

No sense at all. Shotgun perhaps, but rifle, nope.

Gatoragn 11-13-2012 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magnumman (Post 1012776)

I speculate it is geared to dissuade "road hunters". WI allows loaded handguns, but not long guns. Sounds like PA has a similar intent.

magnumman 11-14-2012 01:14 AM

It just seems to me that if I can legally conceal weapons, then I should be allowed to conceal any weapon I can legally own. I think I may write my congressman and make a suggestion that this be changed. But They are too busy burning piles of $100 bills in Harrisburg to worry about something as unimportant as this.

Old_Crow 11-14-2012 01:45 AM

Lock the rifle in your toolbox. I can unlock my toolbox and get the gun out faster than most people can get a gun from behind the seat.

magnumman 11-14-2012 01:49 AM

That is a good point but the fact still remains that it cannot be loaded

gunsmoke11 11-14-2012 02:37 AM

It does appear that they're concerned about hunting while in vehicles. I wouldn't let it bother you too much. We have much greater problems ahead of us. Much greater!

HOSSFLY 11-17-2012 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magnumman
Anything less than a 16" barrel wud have to be classified as a SBR--

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox (Post 1013423)
No sense at all. Shotgun perhaps, but rifle, nope.

You get caught will a SG with a 16" barrel & you'll be useing the prison computer to reply nonsense :rolleyes:

SSGN_Doc 11-17-2012 10:42 PM

Ditto to what Hossfly said. Having a rifle with a barrel under 16" would have to be registered as a Short barreled rifle in accordance with BATFE requirements. Then you would have to see if PA allows SBRs at all. So, it soes seem that they are trying to prevent loaded rifles and shotguns in cars all together. Allowing only a pistol to be carried loaded in a vehicle.

I know, Michigan had a law about rifles with an overall length of less than 28" or something like that. So a folding stocked AK that is in compliance with federal law would not meet the definition of a rifle in Michigan, and those, then needed to be registered as a pistol in MI. The good news there is, that if you had a folding stock AK, it would have to be registered as a pistol and then could be carried in your car loaded if you had a permit.

Here in WA, they don't allow loaded rifles or shotguns in your vehicle.

fupuk 11-18-2012 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc
Ditto to what Hossfly said. Having a rifle with a barrel under 16" would have to be registered as a Short barreled rifle in accordance with BATFE requirements. Then you would have to see if PA allows SBRs at all. So, it soes seem that they are trying to prevent loaded rifles and shotguns in cars all together. Allowing only a pistol to be carried loaded in a vehicle.

I know, Michigan had a law about rifles with an overall length of less than 28" or something like that. So a folding stocked AK that is in compliance with federal law would not meet the definition of a rifle in Michigan, and those, then needed to be registered as a pistol in MI. The good news there is, that if you had a folding stock AK, it would have to be registered as a pistol and then could be carried in your car loaded if you had a permit.

Here in WA, they don't allow loaded rifles or shotguns in your vehicle.

+1 on this. Im in Michigan and have been looking at getting an Ak pistol to keep it in my truck for when the family goes on vacation. The folding stock im not 100% sure about. I know that with a stock it would have to be registered as a SBR and those are illegal in Michigan. I will have to look into that this week.