Trigger jobs on ccw

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Trigger jobs on ccw

View Poll Results: Trigger job on ccw?
Yes, I'm not worried. 6 37.50%
Never, be smart. 3 18.75%
Maybe, if the trigger is terrible. 5 31.25%
Shoot the libtard lawyer!! 2 12.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2009, 04:19 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Trigger jobs on ccw

I am under the belief that a person should never get a trigger job on their concealed carry weapon. I've read where lawyers will try to make you look like a gun nut who could not wait to shoot and is evident with your modifications on a "hair trigger."
As a matter of fact I wouldn't make any modifications to a carry pistol whatsoever.

What say you forum members?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-07-2009, 04:27 AM   #2

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I agree. That's what my CCL instructor taught also.

Old 09-07-2009, 05:53 AM   #3

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Anyone can sue anyone for anything these days. Question is would they win and even if they lost can you afford the costs to defend yourself? Simply having a lighter trigger pull in an otherwise justified shooting should make no difference, but a good ambulance chaser can always rationalize some dribble.

Some people use their carry piece for other shooting purposes, besides SD, like target practice and competition shooting and sport shooting, which they may change a trigger out for comfort or better handgun function and performance. The trigger is the mechanism that is used last to put in motion the mechanical necessities to fire the round. Assuming you were legal at that moment in time to fire that round, it behooves me to understand what it matters if the trigger had a 2lb or a 10lb pull. Let's say we fast forward to some point in the future where you don't 'pull' a trigger at all but merely psychically will the gun to fire. Would that make you any more or less liable just because you never physically touched a trigger?

Of course all that being said never underestimate the ignorance and indifference of the average anti-gun retards who may well constitute a large percentage of the jury if you are especially unlucky and who will not care about anything other than to punish you for having a gun to begin with.

Depending on what state you reside in and your current state's guns laws will play a role in a jury's verdict also. I also would say that more experienced shooters do not worry about such trigger matters, they are only concerned with their handguns reliable performance, if and when the need may arise to use it.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 09-07-2009, 05:30 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I have tuned triggers on all my weapons.

A factory trigger is no different than a tuned trigger in the correct operation of a pistol. In the case of a substandard company that uses MIM parts, a well built trigger is actually better, and thus safer, in the operation of the pistol.

An argument could be easily made that by taking the pistol apart, knowing the correct operation, and replacing parts with higher quality, aftermarket pieces, you were actually being a MORE responsible gun owner.

The fact of the matter is, no one is really going to know if you have a tuned trigger unless you take a 7 pound factory job and turn it into a 6 ounce hair trigger. Anyone that would carry a weapon with that light of a trigger is a menace in my mind, just looking for an ND.

I don't know of a factory, production gun that specifies EXACTLY what weight your getting. Most of them give you a range ( 3.5# to 4.5# - something like that ).

Any lawyer, with enough gumption, is going to make you look bad - but the question is, as Jack has indicated, whether or not the shooting was justified.

If you have doubts about your ability, or what might happen to you IF you have to defend your decision, perhaps CCW is not for you.

Old 09-07-2009, 06:01 PM   #5

I have to say that I lean toward the opinion that you should be more worried about the lawyer attached to the criminal than just the criminal itself.
That said, I have done mild trigger jobs on my carry guns only because the triggers were so horrible it made the guns unreliable and you can't tollerate ANYTHING unreliable for CCW. I don't agree with people running around with guns designed for competition use with hair triggers etc, there is a BIG difference between a competition gun and a propper self deffense gun.
I do try to keep my CCW guns as factory stock as reasonably possible and only use factory self deffense ammo off the shelf. I've had the same lecture from my instructor some of you have had, it's amazing how many self proclaimed "pros" you see online who will argue against you when you bring up this subject. I don't use home built guns or ammo for self deffense even though I do have such, they are only meant for the range.

Old 09-24-2009, 01:36 AM   #6

Deadly force ids deadly force.Maas Ayoob and others have beaten the dead horse of "don't use handloads for S>D> until it is the gospel, simply from being heard from "on high" by such esteemedpersonages. Deadly force is deadly force. Do not draw a pistol, do not point a pistol, until you are fully justified to use that pistol. if you are so stupid as to ignore that advice, keep your booger hook off the bang switch while you are threatening someone with a deadly weapon.

Nyc has a special trigger fot the Glock, making it harder to pill, and increasing the amount of pressure required to discharge the weapon. NyC was one of the last places to issue Hollow point ammo, and this after more than one pass through shooting incidents, where an innocent third party was wounded or killed by an officer's bullet passing through a perpetrator and striking a bystander. Better traing wqould solve a lot more problems than changing equipment.

That said, I cary handloads, and smith all my triggers to tolerable levels. I also train to shoot every time i draw, and not to draw unless faced with a deadly threat.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:40 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

What is important to me is my weapon functions in a way that allows be me to be as proficient as possible. I have had the action polished and a short trigger installed on my ccw.

IMO..The circumstance in which you used deadly force will be much more important than any custom work you have done to your firearm.

Last edited by TelstaR; 09-28-2009 at 11:43 PM.