Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Traveling with a pistol across the country

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2012, 01:20 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1766 Times on 985 Posts
Likes Given: 1161

Getting caught carrying without a permit is a great way to make sure you never get a permit. Follow the law. It is not hard to get a permit unless you live in one of our communist states like Californina or Illinois. I always research gun laws of states before traveling to them. I hate leaving my gun behind. But I do not carry illegaly. My carry permit is too important to me. If I am going to spend time in a state that does not recognize my colorado permit I do not bring my gun. I am talking about if that state is my destination. I would use a lock box to travel through unfriendly states on my way to a friendly one.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 08-04-2012, 02:12 AM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8621 Times on 3735 Posts
Likes Given: 1324

You will have a problem carrying onto the post at Ft. Stewart. Other than than, unloaded, in a locked case complies with the Federal Peaceable Journey Act, which trumps state laws.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

dog2000tj Likes This 
Old 08-04-2012, 02:13 AM   #13

Liked 35 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I'm a previous full-time RV'r and have traveled about 30 states, including some very unfriendly-gun states and always had a gun in my tow vehicle and in my travel trailer, strictly for the protection of my wife and I. I agree that sometime you just have to take the chance if you value your life while on the road, which I do. I've carried daily, 365 days a year, for about 50years, and only the last 5 years with a CHL. Never a problem, thank goodnesss. I always do my very best to maintain a very low profile and conduct myself as a gentleman, so I won't be asking for problems from leo's or anyone else. I'm not advocating that you break the law, I'm just giving my opinion. Stay safe.

Old 08-05-2012, 06:31 PM   #14

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Its such ashame that the right to defend yourself traveling across the states entails going through unfree states that don't recognize the basic right of self defense. My pistol won't do me any good locked up and unloaded in a case if I need it.

"Do not forget to entertain strangers, in doing so some have entertained angels without knowing it"
hebrews 13:2

Old 08-05-2012, 07:19 PM   #15

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Quote:
Originally Posted by veronica View Post
Its such ashame that the right to defend yourself traveling across the states entails going through unfree states that don't recognize the basic right of self defense. My pistol won't do me any good locked up and unloaded in a case if I need it.
out of sight out of mind .... don't give the 5.0 any reason to stop you and search your vehicle

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 08-05-2012, 07:32 PM   #16

Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj

out of sight out of mind .... don't give the 5.0 any reason to stop you and search your vehicle
Aye!! Be smart

Old 08-25-2012, 02:33 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockRenegade View Post
And please dont think im promoting breaking the law.... Im promoting protecting yourself at all costs from some of the crazy S.O.B's out there... I do have a CHL, but if i didnt, nothing is stopping me from getting home to my daughter every day.
That is why most of us here on this site carry. It is sad that every states has different laws concerning what and how you carry.

The government passed all these laws that we are force to obey yet a criminal does not. How are we able to protect ourselves from the forces of evil when our hands our tied. Sometimes we have to break the law to keep ourselves and our family's safe.

I am not telling you to break the law, I am not saying that I have not broken then law, yet when it comes to protecting my family there is another saying that comes to mind, one that I believe in.

"I would rather be judged by 12, then carried by 6!"

Be safe on your trip and please tell your brother "Thank you" for his service, from one old soldier to another.

Old 08-25-2012, 03:11 AM   #18

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

In LA your vehicle is an extension of your home. So you're safe there

Old 08-29-2012, 08:35 AM   #19

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootsdeal View Post
I'm a previous full-time RV'r and have traveled about 30 states, including some very unfriendly-gun states and always had a gun in my tow vehicle and in my travel trailer, strictly for the protection of my wife and I. I agree that sometime you just have to take the chance if you value your life while on the road, which I do. I've carried daily, 365 days a year, for about 50years, and only the last 5 years with a CHL. Never a problem, thank goodnesss. I always do my very best to maintain a very low profile and conduct myself as a gentleman, so I won't be asking for problems from leo's or anyone else. I'm not advocating that you break the law, I'm just giving my opinion. Stay safe.
An interesting tidbit for you. When you are driving the RV local carry laws apply, But when you are parked for the night or parked for camping your RV is your domicle/home.

45 Junkie