Traveling with a pistol across the country
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Traveling with a pistol across the country

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2012, 05:58 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Traveling with a pistol across the country

I hope this is the right section for this question. One of my brothers is stationed at Ft. Stewart, Georgia and I plan on driving there. I don't have a CHL, but would like to take my pistol with me. Are there any Federal laws that cover the traveler and transportation of firearms? Would it have to be in a locked case? I plan on driving a pick up truck there and back, so there won't be a trunk to lock it up in. Does it have to be unloaded? I will be driving across Texas (no problems) then La, Miss, al and then Ga. Sounds so complicated! Thanks!

"Do not forget to entertain strangers, in doing so some have entertained angels without knowing it"
hebrews 13:2

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-02-2012, 06:18 AM   #2

Liked 104 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by veronica View Post
I hope this is the right section for this question. One of my brothers is stationed at Ft. Stewart, Georgia and I plan on driving there. I don't have a CHL, but would like to take my pistol with me. Are there any Federal laws that cover the traveler and transportation of firearms? Would it have to be in a locked case? I plan on driving a pick up truck there and back, so there won't be a trunk to lock it up in. Does it have to be unloaded? I will be driving across Texas (no problems) then La, Miss, al and then Ga. Sounds so complicated! Thanks!
is there a lock-box in the back of the pickup? thatd be where to store the pistol.
somewhere separate for the ammo. look into the laws of each state, http://www.handgunlaw.us/ states have thier laws online, in order to verify the accuracy. if you have a lawyer friend who knows about gun laws give them a call.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:23 AM   #3

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

All I can tell you is as soon as you get to Ga you can have it in your glove box ready to work. But put you vehicle info somewhere else. I think Al is the same but not sure.

Old 08-02-2012, 03:09 PM   #4

To travel though Alabama without a carry permit - you have to have it unloaded and carried in a separate compartment than you. Since you would be in a Truck - it has to be unloaded with both the firearm and ammo locked in some kind of lockbox.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:24 PM   #5

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Refer to Canebrake's sticky "Concealed Carry and Travel Resources" above. Lots of good info there.

XD-40 service, XD-9sc, member GeorgiaCarry.Org, National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, North American Hunting Club, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

dog2000tj Likes This 
Old 08-04-2012, 12:35 AM   #6

Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by veronica
Can I ask why your taking it? Going to the range once you get there? Protection? My point is, if your taking it for protection what good is it going to do locked up? All im saying is the LAW wont be there to protect in most cases... So sometimes we have to take matters into our own hands...

Old 08-04-2012, 12:40 AM   #7

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

The self defense efficacy of a unloaded gun is on par with a 911 call.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 08-04-2012, 12:44 AM   #8

" The 2nd Ammend is my gun permit "

Awesome

Old 08-04-2012, 12:46 AM   #9

And please dont think im promoting breaking the law.... Im promoting protecting yourself at all costs from some of the crazy S.O.B's out there... I do have a CHL, but if i didnt, nothing is stopping me from getting home to my daughter every day.

Old 08-04-2012, 12:54 AM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

In Mississippi your vehicle is an extension of your home. I don't have a permit but keep mine ready to go between the seat and console.