Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Traveling with a pistol across the country (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/traveling-pistol-across-country-69445/)

veronica 08-02-2012 05:58 AM

Traveling with a pistol across the country

I hope this is the right section for this question. One of my brothers is stationed at Ft. Stewart, Georgia and I plan on driving there. I don't have a CHL, but would like to take my pistol with me. Are there any Federal laws that cover the traveler and transportation of firearms? Would it have to be in a locked case? I plan on driving a pick up truck there and back, so there won't be a trunk to lock it up in. Does it have to be unloaded? I will be driving across Texas (no problems) then La, Miss, al and then Ga. Sounds so complicated! :( Thanks!

phildenton 08-02-2012 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by veronica (Post 890297)
I hope this is the right section for this question. One of my brothers is stationed at Ft. Stewart, Georgia and I plan on driving there. I don't have a CHL, but would like to take my pistol with me. Are there any Federal laws that cover the traveler and transportation of firearms? Would it have to be in a locked case? I plan on driving a pick up truck there and back, so there won't be a trunk to lock it up in. Does it have to be unloaded? I will be driving across Texas (no problems) then La, Miss, al and then Ga. Sounds so complicated! :( Thanks!

is there a lock-box in the back of the pickup? thatd be where to store the pistol.
somewhere separate for the ammo. look into the laws of each state, http://www.handgunlaw.us/ states have thier laws online, in order to verify the accuracy. if you have a lawyer friend who knows about gun laws give them a call.

GaMatt72 08-02-2012 06:23 AM

All I can tell you is as soon as you get to Ga you can have it in your glove box ready to work. But put you vehicle info somewhere else. I think Al is the same but not sure.

Athlai 08-02-2012 03:09 PM

To travel though Alabama without a carry permit - you have to have it unloaded and carried in a separate compartment than you. Since you would be in a Truck - it has to be unloaded with both the firearm and ammo locked in some kind of lockbox.

treehugger49 08-03-2012 12:24 PM

Refer to Canebrake's sticky "Concealed Carry and Travel Resources" above. Lots of good info there.

GlockRenegade 08-04-2012 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by veronica

Can I ask why your taking it? Going to the range once you get there? Protection? My point is, if your taking it for protection what good is it going to do locked up? All im saying is the LAW wont be there to protect in most cases... So sometimes we have to take matters into our own hands...

canebrake 08-04-2012 12:40 AM

The self defense efficacy of a unloaded gun is on par with a 911 call.

GlockRenegade 08-04-2012 12:44 AM

" The 2nd Ammend is my gun permit "

Awesome

GlockRenegade 08-04-2012 12:46 AM

And please dont think im promoting breaking the law.... Im promoting protecting yourself at all costs from some of the crazy S.O.B's out there... I do have a CHL, but if i didnt, nothing is stopping me from getting home to my daughter every day.

cj84 08-04-2012 12:54 AM

In Mississippi your vehicle is an extension of your home. I don't have a permit but keep mine ready to go between the seat and console.