Transporting Handguns Across country
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Transporting Handguns Across country

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2008, 11:17 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Transporting Handguns Across country

I currently live in New Mexico where the handgun laws aren't that strict. I own three handguns, however in a couple of months I will be getting out of the military and moving home to Upstate New York. I am in the process of getting a pistol permit in New York, but it takes awhile and I will not have it by the time I move home. I plan on keeping them with my uncle who has a permit. The question is can I drive home with my handguns without getting in trouble?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-15-2008, 06:44 PM   #2

Default Well that is a positive maybe

I would advise you to make sure all weapons are unloaded and stored in a locked box in your trunk of your car also make sure the ammo is locked up.

Before leaving get a copy of federal law: "Title 18--part1--chapter 44 and carry it with you.

If you fly, be careful which airports you use. La Guadia in New York will try and arrest you if you try to check a weapon. Make sure you have a copy of the law with you.

I'm a retired cop and they tried arresting me. Wasn't a happy day.

Old 09-03-2008, 12:48 AM   #3

Default guns in new york

transporting handguns is covered by federal..concealed carry is mandated by the state
Q: do you have to have a permit to own a handgun in New York???

Old 09-03-2008, 02:45 AM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertnog50 View Post
transporting handguns is covered by federal..concealed carry is mandated by the state
Q: do you have to have a permit to own a handgun in New York???

You do need a permit to own, to carry, to buy, and to shoot in NY.
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 09-03-2008, 02:47 AM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenr19 View Post
I currently live in New Mexico where the handgun laws aren't that strict. I own three handguns, however in a couple of months I will be getting out of the military and moving home to Upstate New York. I am in the process of getting a pistol permit in New York, but it takes awhile and I will not have it by the time I move home. I plan on keeping them with my uncle who has a permit. The question is can I drive home with my handguns without getting in trouble?
No! Transporting a handgun across State lines, especially without a permit, is a violation of Federal Law. Most states also do not have a reciprocity clause, so even if you are licensed in one state, if you travel into another state that doesn't recognize your permit you can be arrested.
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 09-03-2008, 01:54 PM   #6

http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/Federal/Read.aspx?id=59

NEW YORK--The transportation of handguns is prohibited except by a resident with a license to carry.

A member or coach of an accredited college or university target pistol team may transport a handgun into or through New York to participate in a collegiate, Olympic or target pistol shooting competition provided that the handgun is unloaded and carried in a separate locked container.

Nonresident target shooters may enter or pass through New York State with handguns for purposes of any NRA-approved competition if the competitor has in his possession a copy of the match program, proof of entry and a pistol license or firearms registration card from his state of residence. The handgun must be unloaded and transported in a fully opaque container.

New York State has strict laws governing illegal possession of handguns which can result in a possible seven-year jail sentence for offenders.

Caution--New York law presumes that an individual stopped in possession of five or more handguns, without a state permit, possesses the handguns for illegal sale, thus subjecting this person to an increased sentence.

Caution--New York is the only state that prohibits the transportation of handguns without a license. Travelers should therefore be particularly careful since they face severe consequences should they inadvertently violate the state's highly restrictive statutes.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 09-04-2008, 12:21 PM   #7
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcreep927 View Post
http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/Federal/Read.aspx?id=59

NEW YORK--The transportation of handguns is prohibited except by a resident with a license to carry.

A member or coach of an accredited college or university target pistol team may transport a handgun into or through New York to participate in a collegiate, Olympic or target pistol shooting competition provided that the handgun is unloaded and carried in a separate locked container.

Nonresident target shooters may enter or pass through New York State with handguns for purposes of any NRA-approved competition if the competitor has in his possession a copy of the match program, proof of entry and a pistol license or firearms registration card from his state of residence. The handgun must be unloaded and transported in a fully opaque container.

New York State has strict laws governing illegal possession of handguns which can result in a possible seven-year jail sentence for offenders.

Caution--New York law presumes that an individual stopped in possession of five or more handguns, without a state permit, possesses the handguns for illegal sale, thus subjecting this person to an increased sentence.

Caution--New York is the only state that prohibits the transportation of handguns without a license. Travelers should therefore be particularly careful since they face severe consequences should they inadvertently violate the state's highly restrictive statutes.
Only in New York....

Old 09-21-2008, 02:26 AM   #8

Default Transporting of firearms

This site has links to most U.S. states concealed carry laws.

http://handgunlaw.us

Bozz

Old 09-22-2008, 01:13 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
No! Transporting a handgun across State lines, especially without a permit, is a violation of Federal Law. Most states also do not have a reciprocity clause, so even if you are licensed in one state, if you travel into another state that doesn't recognize your permit you can be arrested.
No, it's not a violation of federal law.

It's a matter of state law. You can travel in MANY other states with a handgun, as long as you are in compliance with the laws of that state.

Reciprocity agreements are pretty common these days, with some states having reciprocity with over thirty other states.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:46 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8875 Times on 3844 Posts
Likes Given: 1386

Gents, there is a WORLD of difference between TRANSPORTING a firearm, and CARRYING a firearm- especially concealed. There is NO permit to "transport across a state line"- unless you are speaking of a class III weapon, and getting approval from the ATF.

You may only CARRY (concealed) in a state that recognizes YOUR concealed carry license. Frinstance, I am a VA resident, have a VA CCW, but the state of West VA recognizes my CCW. New York does not.

FEDERAL law- the Peaceable Traveler Act- says if possession of a given arm is legal at your origin, and at your destination, you may unload it, case it, lock it in the trunk, and drive. STATE law cannot supercede this law- has a "no pre-emption" clause. Look it up- US Code, Title 18. Now, will agree that some places (New York) may not be paying attention to the Federal Law- but law allows you to TRANSPORT an arm.