Top Ten Carry guns - Page 9
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Top Ten Carry guns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2009, 04:07 PM   #81
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelt View Post
I am not qualified to get in a discussion of stopping power of various calibers. I do think some logic can go a long way though.

If you are in a situation where you need a gun there are two things that can happen.
  1. the bad guy will back off or flee when you reveal your gun
  2. the bad guy will attack

If he backs off or flees then stopping power does not matter. If he fights then there are more possibilities. If he is armed with a knife or stick then any gun gives you an advantage. In any event if you have to shoot the bad guy might go down from one shot even if it is not a shot that would stop a highly determined attacker. He might also choose to flee after being shot. The other possibility is that the bad guy continues the fight after being shot. In this situation you are going to need all the fire power you can get and as much accuracy as you can muster. If the bad guy is highly determined but not well armed, like the classic meth head example, you can always shoot him in the leg and run. If he is well armed then your odds are not going to be great even if you are well armed as well.

It depends on what level of threat you are carrying to defend against. In my part of the world I figure the odds of having to face a well armed and highly determined bad guy are very slim. I carry against lesser threats that can be dealt with using a small pistol. Maybe this is a different decision for you, you have to use your own best judgment.
Thanks, these are well thought out potential possibilities and I appreciate your comments.
Jack

Life Member: MOPH
Life Member: USMC
Life Member: DAV
Life Member: VVA
Member: NRA
COTEP MEMBER #CBOB0391
DW VBOB
KIMBER ULTRA CDP
KIMBER PRO CRIMSON CARRY
GLOCK 19
S&W 686 SSR
S&W M&P SHIELD

Old 01-23-2010, 02:07 AM   #82

I used to routinely carry a Kel-Tec P3AT in my back pocket, but lately I have gotten in the habit of carrying my Ruger SR9. I just love that Ruger!

Old 01-24-2010, 08:33 PM   #83

In the heat of summer, a 380 does it for me(Colt Mustang +II)
When I can bear to wear more clothes, a Sig 229 in .40 or usually, Colt in 45acp.
Big bullets make big holes.

Old 01-27-2010, 04:13 PM   #84

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 14

In my opinion, you should carry what you train the most with. Everyone here is talking about bigger rounds being better, and while it's obvious that they have more power, that doesn't make them better in every situation. If you and the BG both have .45s but he's faster than you or gets the drop on you, then your .45 isn't going to matter. Now if you have a .380 and the BG has a .45 but you are better trained with your .380, then his .45 could be useless. I guess what I'm trying to say is it all come down to who is better trained for the situation. If I can draw a .380 and put 5 rounds in your chest before you get 1 off, well then your .45 isn't really going to matter.

Old 01-28-2010, 03:39 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoyleTheDog View Post
In my opinion, you should carry what you train the most with. Everyone here is talking about bigger rounds being better, and while it's obvious that they have more power, that doesn't make them better in every situation. If you and the BG both have .45s but he's faster than you or gets the drop on you, then your .45 isn't going to matter. Now if you have a .380 and the BG has a .45 but you are better trained with your .380, then his .45 could be useless. I guess what I'm trying to say is it all come down to who is better trained for the situation. If I can draw a .380 and put 5 rounds in your chest before you get 1 off, well then your .45 isn't really going to matter.
Yes, I understand your point. The discussion back in the day was a bigger wound channel was a better chance of hitting a vital area or causing enough blood pressure lost to shut down the body fast.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:03 AM   #86

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

My 1991 Gov't or my 1991 Combat commander are my usually winter carry autos, if im feeling like it i may carry my 6" gp100 in a shoulder holster, just drawing that thing should scare the hell out of anyone trying to hurt me...

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
Jimi Hendrix

Old 02-11-2010, 03:41 PM   #87

I personally love the KelTec PF9. it is my CCL gun. Taking CCL class this weekend. Its kinda a requirement for my job.

That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness.

Old 02-12-2010, 05:06 AM   #88

My preference is the Walther PK380. It's lightweight, comfortable to conceal and has enough bang. Occasionally I'll carry a Beretta Storm 9mm, but - at least for me - it's not entirely comfortable to conceal.

Old 02-12-2010, 11:31 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackg View Post
Currently carry a Walther PPK/S .380 and really like it but I'm wondering what you guys would recommend as the Top 10 list. Suggestions?
I carry a PPK everywhere I am legally allowed and some. It is thin and small and it is comfortable to wear and doesn’t print like a 1911. It comes down to what is comfortable. A PPK on your hip is better than a 44 magnum back home in the safe.

Old 02-13-2010, 09:48 PM   #90

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

My current concealed carry weapon is an old S&W Model 60 snub in .38spl. Six months ago I was carrying a .380 Bersa, but I was seeing too many autopistols jam in IDPA competition and it scared me big time. Even my beloved Browning Hi-Power jammed a few months ago in competition, even though the last time that gun jammed was in the late eighties!