Top Ten Carry guns - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Top Ten Carry guns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2009, 02:15 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
Many people carry .380's for their main carry gun and they feel perfectly adequate with it.
And why do you think that is?
...maybe because of...lack of knowledge, laziness, comfort fit, the mind set of; "a gun is a gun", etc. Also a large number of women are permit holders, usually women feel more comfortable with smaller calibers vs. bigger calibers.

Quote:
Having a diffirent opinion doesn't make someone stupid or uneducated guys.
It does when one vioces his opinion like he did. During the topic everyone mentions big caliber firearms(including yourself), when mdemichael2 jumps in he talks about how .45's are impractical carry guns & .380's adequate carry guns. The OP had mentioned he has a .380 and wants to know what others rely on. So it's pretty much obvious that the OP wanted suggestions outside the .380 realm.

Quote:
I would prefer to carry a 9mm or .40 myself.

The officers who did my CHL class carry 9mm's and even use 9mm for home defense.
Goju, you can try to split hairs all you want, but most (not all) departments have opted for .40 over the 9mm.
Recommendations that I've heard from off duty gun store working LEO's is in the form of a .38 spl. or .357 Mag. revolvers not .380's. Like they say you can shoot from under your blanket, through your purse/ghey waist pack, through your holster, from under your shirt,etc.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:32 AM   #42

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackg View Post
I'm learning a lot from the discussions you guys are having. On the subject of ammo for my 1911, yesterday I was given a box of "Pow'RBall 45 Auto+P 165gr." Velocity: 1225fps,
Energy 550ft/lbs. What do you think, is it what I need?
By the way I'm blown away at the accuracy of my Kimber.

Thanks,
Jack
I think that should be adequate. I have 9mm powRball in my CZ.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:34 AM   #43

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Underfire,

The last time I looked .380 were more expensive that .45acp, so they can't be impractical to carry comparitively,lol.

I don't mind that others carry .380, but I won't suggest it and I won't carry it.

Old 11-12-2009, 08:21 PM   #44

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderFire View Post
And why do you think that is?
...maybe because of...lack of knowledge, laziness, comfort fit, the mind set of; "a gun is a gun", etc. Also a large number of women are permit holders, usually women feel more comfortable with smaller calibers vs. bigger calibers.

It does when one vioces his opinion like he did. During the topic everyone mentions big caliber firearms(including yourself), when mdemichael2 jumps in he talks about how .45's are impractical carry guns & .380's adequate carry guns. The OP had mentioned he has a .380 and wants to know what others rely on. So it's pretty much obvious that the OP wanted suggestions outside the .380 realm.

Goju, you can try to split hairs all you want, but most (not all) departments have opted for .40 over the 9mm.
Recommendations that I've heard from off duty gun store working LEO's is in the form of a .38 spl. or .357 Mag. revolvers not .380's. Like they say you can shoot from under your blanket, through your purse/ghey waist pack, through your holster, from under your shirt,etc.
Without offending anyone I think there are many reasons that people choose the weapon they carry:
1. Economy
2. Peer pressure (Spouse/Family)
3. Lack of confidence( with a large handgun), lack of knowledge and experience.

"Underfire's" comment regarding my original post is on the mark. I bought my Walther PPK/S in haste. Had I known then what I know today I would have saved myself $569 + taxes, ammo, holster,etc. I may have to install Crimson Trace laser grips on it to make it attractive for resale. Or I could start using the PowR'Ball ammo in it as a back-up carry?

Life Member: MOPH
Life Member: USMC
Life Member: DAV
Life Member: VVA
Member: NRA
COTEP MEMBER #CBOB0391
DW VBOB
KIMBER ULTRA CDP
KIMBER PRO CRIMSON CARRY
GLOCK 19
S&W 686 SSR
S&W M&P SHIELD

Old 11-12-2009, 10:59 PM   #45

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Or I could start using the PowR'Ball ammo in it as a back-up carry?
Key word: Back up.

Old 11-12-2009, 11:14 PM   #46

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
I'm learning a lot from the discussions you guys are having. On the subject of ammo for my 1911, yesterday I was given a box of "Pow'RBall 45 Auto+P 165gr." Velocity: 1225fps,
Energy 550ft/lbs. What do you think, is it what I need?
By the way I'm blown away at the accuracy of my Kimber.

Thanks,
Jack
I carry Powrball in both my 1911s but only the first two rounds. This double tap is capable of auto windshield penetration and has little deformation when penetrating auto side glass. The next seven are good old big-and-slow Hornady 45ACP+P 230gr TAP FPD .

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 11-13-2009, 08:18 AM   #47

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

You never know when you need to 'stop' people through windshields.

Old 11-14-2009, 08:38 PM   #48

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Can we not agree that there is a constant personal balancing act of risk vs. convienence?

Some here say the .380 should never be carried except as a backup, yet the problem with most people isn't getting them to carry a second gun, it is getting them to carry a first gun.

I agree with the statement that you should carry the biggest gun that you will carry, but that might be a different gun at different times. Summer time, in the heat, going to the zoo in a nice part of town with lots of people. Perhaps an LCP or 3AT is all the gun that some peoplea are willing to drop in their pocket, while others might sacrifice to carry a brickbat 1911. Is the 1911 gunner likely at an advantage over the .380 pocket carrier? Of course. But we can also agree the man with the .380 is better off than if he didn't have a gun at all.

If both men have an understanding of the strenghs & weaknesses of their choice and have considered their risk profile, then I say bully for them that they are at least in the game. The problem with most people isn't getting them to carry a second gun, it is getting them to carry a gun at all.

And let us not forget training, experience, and awareness; all of which put us ahead of the curve no matter what are sidearm of choice is.

PS: I love the PPK and think it is a great looking gun, but I can't figure out why they continue to produce such it in such an anemic chambering. Attention Walther: THIS GUN SHOULD BE A 9X19!

I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts. -Will Rogers

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill

Old 11-14-2009, 10:39 PM   #49

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighead View Post
Can we not agree that there is a constant personal balancing act of risk vs. convienence?

Some here say the .380 should never be carried except as a backup, yet the problem with most people isn't getting them to carry a second gun, it is getting them to carry a first gun.

I agree with the statement that you should carry the biggest gun that you will carry, but that might be a different gun at different times. Summer time, in the heat, going to the zoo in a nice part of town with lots of people. Perhaps an LCP or 3AT is all the gun that some peoplea are willing to drop in their pocket, while others might sacrifice to carry a brickbat 1911. Is the 1911 gunner likely at an advantage over the .380 pocket carrier? Of course. But we can also agree the man with the .380 is better off than if he didn't have a gun at all.

If both men have an understanding of the strenghs & weaknesses of their choice and have considered their risk profile, then I say bully for them that they are at least in the game. The problem with most people isn't getting them to carry a second gun, it is getting them to carry a gun at all.

And let us not forget training, experience, and awareness; all of which put us ahead of the curve no matter what are sidearm of choice is.

PS: I love the PPK and think it is a great looking gun, but I can't figure out why they continue to produce such it in such an anemic chambering. Attention Walther: THIS GUN SHOULD BE A 9X19!

I think your opinion is well stated. For myself, I do need to get more training. All I've had was during my CCW class & I forgot everything (almost) I learned in the Corps.
Jack

Life Member: MOPH
Life Member: USMC
Life Member: DAV
Life Member: VVA
Member: NRA
COTEP MEMBER #CBOB0391
DW VBOB
KIMBER ULTRA CDP
KIMBER PRO CRIMSON CARRY
GLOCK 19
S&W 686 SSR
S&W M&P SHIELD

Old 11-14-2009, 11:34 PM   #50
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I don't totally agree with carrying any gun is better than carrying none...

If you have no gun, you just might "avoid" CONFRONTATION and live to fight another day. If you pull out a .380 pea-shooter while the BG is yielding a 45ACP... well, you'll likely die in this gun fight.