Top Ten Carry guns - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Top Ten Carry guns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2009, 11:12 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yes, it was NIB.

Life Member: MOPH
Life Member: USMC
Life Member: DAV
Life Member: VVA
Member: NRA
COTEP MEMBER #CBOB0391
DW VBOB
KIMBER ULTRA CDP
KIMBER PRO CRIMSON CARRY
GLOCK 19
S&W 686 SSR
S&W M&P SHIELD

Old 11-09-2009, 02:53 PM   #32

1 I don't live in Florida. 2 My place of employment is a retail setting and weapons in the workplace can get me fired. 3 Never said 380 was more pewerful than larger calibers but that advancements in ammo design have brought it up to a viable alternitave when larger caliber guns because of physical size are impractical.4 Read my earlier posts, I do carry a 45 but resort to my 380 when the larger gun for me is impractical to carry. I also carry the 380 all the time even if packing another gun. How many who have concealed carry will leave a larger gun at home because of weight or they just don't feel like strapping it on because they are making a run to the local carryout, store ,etc.? I on the other hand am always armed and aware of my surroundings. My weapon is not for shooting some one at a distance but for personal protection measured in feet not yards. Anybody that refers to smaller calibers as being a peashooter must be tougher than I as I do not want to be shot with any thing that leaves holes in me to leak out vital bodily fluids.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:24 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdemichael2 View Post
1 I don't live in Florida. 2 My place of employment is a retail setting and weapons in the workplace can get me fired. 3 Never said 380 was more pewerful than larger calibers but that advancements in ammo design have brought it up to a viable alternitave when larger caliber guns because of physical size are impractical.4 Read my earlier posts, I do carry a 45 but resort to my 380 when the larger gun for me is impractical to carry. I also carry the 380 all the time even if packing another gun. How many who have concealed carry will leave a larger gun at home because of weight or they just don't feel like strapping it on because they are making a run to the local carryout, store ,etc.? I on the other hand am always armed and aware of my surroundings. My weapon is not for shooting some one at a distance but for personal protection measured in feet not yards. Anybody that refers to smaller calibers as being a peashooter must be tougher than I as I do not want to be shot with any thing that leaves holes in me to leak out vital bodily fluids.
Hey, carry how you want to...
if a bigger caliber is too much trouble, leave it home, but don't give a shallow opinion to someone who is trying to learn a tactical advantage in a life & death situation. I have a .380 (Kahr P380) but I never leave home with just it. .380's are great pocket/backup guns, but that's it. Don't suggest to someone that it's a main carry firearm, because they aren't.
As far as your comment about,
Quote:
My weapon is not for shooting some one at a distance but for personal protection measured in feet not yards.
Let me educate you on the best way to stop a threat.
1. The bullet(s) has to destroy the central nervous system function, but that requires very precise shot placement.
2. The bullet(s) has to cause the blood system to depressurize, but that also requires precise or lucky shot placement and in any case it happens slowly even at best.
and the best way to end an attacker...
3. The bullet(s) have to cause so much shock to the body that the body shuts down. Good Luck using your peashooter to cause that much trauma.

Glad you don't live in Florida and feel sooo comfy that in your state a workplace shooting will never happen.
Also, if firearms aren't allowed in your workplace, best you don't carry them there. In most states if you have a permit to carry concealed and you're caught carrying in a place where firearms are not permitted...well, say good-bye to the permit; forever.
Next time you should choose your wording properly so that it doesn't seem like you're saying; advancement in a certain small caliber is adequate to the bigger caliber being discussed.
I'm very glad that jackg went for the Kimber 1911 chambered in .45ACP.
BTW, I read all your earlier post and seen that your lack of knowledge was clearly on display is why I addressed your threads. Smaller calibers are not a "viable alternative" to bigger more powerful calibers, Not practical at all.

Old 11-10-2009, 05:26 AM   #34

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Amen to all of the above, but I'd like to add:

Smaller Caliber Does NOT = carry comfort or convenience! ! !

If CC is new, one must adapt anyway, why not choose to adapt in a way that you KNOW will benefit you, not leave it to chance?

Old 11-10-2009, 08:17 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderFire View Post
Hey, carry how you want to...
if a bigger caliber is too much trouble, leave it home, but don't give a shallow opinion to someone who is trying to learn a tactical advantage in a life & death situation. I have a .380 (Kahr P380) but I never leave home with just it. .380's are great pocket/backup guns, but that's it. Don't suggest to someone that it's a main carry firearm, because they aren't.
As far as your comment about, Let me educate you on the best way to stop a threat.
1. The bullet(s) has to destroy the central nervous system function, but that requires very precise shot placement.
2. The bullet(s) has to cause the blood system to depressurize, but that also requires precise or lucky shot placement and in any case it happens slowly even at best.
and the best way to end an attacker...
3. The bullet(s) have to cause so much shock to the body that the body shuts down. Good Luck using your peashooter to cause that much trauma.

Glad you don't live in Florida and feel sooo comfy that in your state a workplace shooting will never happen.
Also, if firearms aren't allowed in your workplace, best you don't carry them there. In most states if you have a permit to carry concealed and you're caught carrying in a place where firearms are not permitted...well, say good-bye to the permit; forever.
Next time you should choose your wording properly so that it doesn't seem like you're saying; advancement in a certain small caliber is adequate to the bigger caliber being discussed.
I'm very glad that jackg went for the Kimber 1911 chambered in .45ACP.
BTW, I read all your earlier post and seen that your lack of knowledge was clearly on display is why I addressed your threads. Smaller calibers are not a "viable alternative" to bigger more powerful calibers, Not practical at all.
As to my shallow opinion and lack of knowledge I am so sorry it offended you. In my state there is no loosing your ccw if you carry in the workplace ,only your job for companies that don't allow it. I worked a few years in a gunshop with off duty cops and their opinions must lack knowledge also. Let's see, Corbon Powerball. Magsafe, Glasser , Extreme Shock, Hornady Critical Defense ammo,etc,etc. My lack of knowledge is amazing and so is my shallow suggestions. I'm glad the gentleman picked something for his ccw that he will be happy with. I was just suggesting some alternative guns because that is what his post suggested he wanted to know. What other ccw's carry and what they thought of his choices for carry.I thought this was a forum for ideas and not bashing the other guy for what he carries . As to my opinion on 380, the new ammo approaches and exceeds the old 38 158 gr. load in foot lbs. of energy and approaches larger calibers in deadliness compared to ten yrs. ago. Their are people out in the real world who do protect themselves with smaller calibers and never feel under gunned. Try reading NRA Armed Citizen column once in awhile. They use every thing from shotguns to the lowly 22 oftentimes with deadly consequences to the assailant. When I do carry my 45 or my Sig 9mm I carry Magsafe rounds in both. If god forbid I have to shoot in self defense I don't want over penetration and hitting a bystander by mistake ever. Well this is the last post to this thread as I don't feel like beating a dead horse. Those who have their ideas set in stone and not flexible enough to except other ideas will never be changed and will always try to attack personally when some one disagrees with them.

Last edited by mdemichael2; 11-10-2009 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Spelling mistake

Old 11-11-2009, 01:48 AM   #36

mdemichael2,

In your post above mine, there's so much crap () I don't even know where to begin.

1. Didn't mean to hurt your feelings. Learn quickly you need thick skin around here.
2. What part of my post did you not understand...obviously all of it, right?
3. I'm not arguing the fact that ammo mfgs have made advancements in .380 cartridges. What do you think they've done with .45ACP? You think it's the same as ten years ago?
4. When do LEO's recommend a .380 over a .40 or .45? Since you like to read gun magazines you need to brush-up on the police debate why they prefer .40 or .45 over 9mm.
5. When are gun store sales clerks experts? They have bias opinions. They're sales people like any other retail store. If the store mgr. wants to move .380's that month then the sales staff will push .380's and act like they're the best caliber since sliced bread.
6. The main reason why the U.S. military went from .45ACP to 9mm is because 9mm is a NATO caliber (NATO Agreement), easily found in the trenches.

Quote:
Well this is the last post to this thread as I don't feel like beating a dead horse.
Yeah, I agree you really should stop posting, your ignorance is annoying.
Quote:
Those who have their ideas set in stone and not flexible enough to except other ideas will never be changed and will always try to attack personally when some one disagrees with them.
Sad to hear you're so set in your ignorant ways that logic & facts can't even change your "set in stone" thinking.
Stop relying on bias magazine articiles to get info from. I've never read a negative review on any kind of firearm or ammo cartridge in a gun magazine. It's the markets way to sway the consumer's opinion. The products are given to the editors of the magazines. What do you think they're going to say?
Quote:
Let's see, Corbon Powerball. Magsafe, Glasser , Extreme Shock, Hornady Critical Defense ammo,etc,etc. My lack of knowledge is amazing and so is my shallow suggestions.
Yes, it is.
Just being able to list ammo names from a magazine isn't enough knowledge on the subject. Get your knowledge from real life experiences or ones that have experienced real life situations. Get some training and learn real firearm dynamics and ammo ballistics (not read in a magazine) before posting your opinion. FYI, misinformation will be addressed on this board. Some of these topics are life & death situations. We're not deciding on which tie to wear to work today.

Old 11-11-2009, 02:20 AM   #37

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 237

Critizism, if taken rightly could save ones life or the lives of others. I'm sure many that post here have experience that could help many or us. Yes, ammo for the .380 has improved greatly over the years at one time about the only available ammo was FMJ round nose. I have hollow points for mine but I would only carry that weapon if didn't have access to one of my .40's and if I wasn't so skinny I'd carry my .44 Redhawk for a cw. I happen to feel far more comfortable carrying weapons that start with a .4 as I have seen what they can do to large animals (of the four legged kind of course).

Old 11-11-2009, 11:37 AM   #38
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I too prefer a .4X caliber for piece of mind. I have several .380's such as the Kel Tec P3AT but they are strictly BUG's to my 329PD 44 Magnum. I also carry a P345 Ruger often.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:13 PM   #39

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Many people carry .380's for their main carry gun and they feel perfectly adequate with it.

Having a diffirent opinion doesn't make someone stupid or uneducated guys.

I would prefer to carry a 9mm or .40 myself.

The officers who did my CHL class carry 9mm's and even use 9mm for home defense.

Old 11-11-2009, 03:34 PM   #40

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Wow

I'm learning a lot from the discussions you guys are having. On the subject of ammo for my 1911, yesterday I was given a box of "Pow'RBall 45 Auto+P 165gr." Velocity: 1225fps,
Energy 550ft/lbs. What do you think, is it what I need?
By the way I'm blown away at the accuracy of my Kimber.

Thanks,
Jack

Life Member: MOPH
Life Member: USMC
Life Member: DAV
Life Member: VVA
Member: NRA
COTEP MEMBER #CBOB0391
DW VBOB
KIMBER ULTRA CDP
KIMBER PRO CRIMSON CARRY
GLOCK 19