Top Ten Carry guns - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Top Ten Carry guns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2009, 08:49 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Decision made

Because of everything I've read here I went out today and bought the Kimber 1911 Pro Crimson Carry II with the 4" barrel.
The only problem I see is trying to clean it. Good God, I hope it gets easier with time. The guys at Double Action Gun Shop were really great and told me that if I want to I can bring it in to them for cleaning any time, no charge!
Ammo seems to be easily available right now, hope it stays that way and comes down in cost soon. For practice I bought Winchester 230 grain FMJ, for PP I got Speer 230 grain GDHP. Any issues there?
Thanks again for all the info.

Life Member: MOPH
Life Member: USMC
Life Member: DAV
Life Member: VVA
Member: NRA
COTEP MEMBER #CBOB0391
DW VBOB
KIMBER ULTRA CDP
KIMBER PRO CRIMSON CARRY
GLOCK 19
S&W 686 SSR
S&W M&P SHIELD

Old 11-07-2009, 01:35 AM   #22

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I carry a Colt nickel Detective Special loaded with 158grn HP +P in a
Bianchi 5BHL year round.

Old 11-07-2009, 05:20 AM   #23

Great choices!!!

Old 11-07-2009, 10:43 PM   #24

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

The Ruger SP101 .357 3 1/16" barrel. I can conceal it wearing shorts and a tank top w/ an ITWB holster or a coat pocket. Throw a couple speed loaders in your front pocket and you're good to go.

Old 11-08-2009, 04:22 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdemichael2 View Post
I do prefer heavy calibers but their are times when they are impractical do to weather and very lightweight clothing in the summer. Any gun is better than no gun and do to advances in ammo our small caliber rounds are much better than in the past. To those of you who will jump on this and quote 45 or 40 I do carry a 45 but their are times that I find it impractical especialy at work with my 380 KelTech in the pocket I still feel adequitely armed. When my Sig P238 arrives I will switch to it and magsafe ammo.
So what are you saying?? That .380 ammo has made so much advancement
that it's more powerful than .45ACP ammo?? To carry a .45 "impractical"?? How? "especialy at work" ???? huh? Here in Florida just recently a gunman returned to his previous work place and started shooting innocent people.
Hey, I rather have my shotgun at work, but since I can't conceal it easily I'll settle for a .40 OR .45 over a .380 any day of the week.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:50 AM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderFire View Post
So what are you saying?? That .380 ammo has made so much advancement
that it's more powerful than .45ACP ammo?? To carry a .45 "impractical"?? How? "especialy at work" ???? huh? Here in Florida just recently a gunman returned to his previous work place and started shooting innocent people.
Hey, I rather have my shotgun at work, but since I can't conceal it easily I'll settle for a .40 OR .45 over a .380 any day of the week.
I have to agree here. There is no way a .380 of any type is going to have the physical knock-down of a 45ACP. Yes even a small frame 45ACP is a bit more difficult to conceal but its worth the trouble.

Don't bring a pea-shooter to a gun fight, you'll lose.

Old 11-08-2009, 02:58 PM   #27

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Normally I carry an LCP with CT but if out in the wilds I'll carry a Keltec PF-9. Looking into a Kahr PM45 for the future.

In order to become the Master, a politician must act as a servant.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:07 PM   #28

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackg View Post
Because of everything I've read here I went out today and bought the Kimber 1911 Pro Crimson Carry II with the 4" barrel.
The only problem I see is trying to clean it. Good God, I hope it gets easier with time. The guys at Double Action Gun Shop were really great and told me that if I want to I can bring it in to them for cleaning any time, no charge!
Ammo seems to be easily available right now, hope it stays that way and comes down in cost soon. For practice I bought Winchester 230 grain FMJ, for PP I got Speer 230 grain GDHP. Any issues there?
Great choice, and the more you fiddle the easier it will get...does anyone here want to recommend any technical sources/books/videos on the 1911 to help jackg get rolling?...while I love 1911 pistols I'm not a 1911 guy, so I can't help you much there.

Here are links to couple of books written by Bill Wilson, of Wilson Combat:

Book - The Combat Auto

Book - 1911 Maintenance Manual

PS

Oh yeah, I almost forgot my carry guns:

While I have a love for 1911's & Browning Hi-Powers and many other guns, I have not trained with them enough to count them as carry pistols in the ultimate stress game of You-Bet-Your-Life. Over the years I have carried Glock & Sig Sauer pistols, and feel like the thousands of rounds I have put down range through Glock & Sig pistols would give me an edge over a pistol I'm not as intimately familiar with.

1. Glock 23
2. Glock 30
3. Glock 27
4. Glock 19
5. Sig P220 Carry
6. Sig P229
7. Glock 35
8. Glock 26
9. Smith & Wesson Model 13/65
10. Smith & Wesson Model 640 .357

I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts. -Will Rogers

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill

Last edited by Bighead; 11-08-2009 at 08:30 PM.

Old 11-08-2009, 09:01 PM   #29

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighead View Post
Great choice, and the more you fiddle the easier it will get...does anyone here want to recommend any technical sources/books/videos on the 1911 to help jackg get rolling?...while I love 1911 pistols I'm not a 1911 guy, so I can't help you much there.

Here are links to couple of books written by Bill Wilson, of Wilson Combat:

Book - The Combat Auto

Book - 1911 Maintenance Manual

PS

Oh yeah, I almost forgot my carry guns:

While I have a love for 1911's & Browning Hi-Powers and many other guns, I have not trained with them enough to count them as carry pistols in the ultimate stress game of You-Bet-Your-Life. Over the years I have carried Glock & Sig Sauer pistols, and feel like the thousands of rounds I have put down range through Glock & Sig pistols would give me an edge over a pistol I'm not as intimately familiar with.

1. Glock 23
2. Glock 30
3. Glock 27
4. Glock 19
5. Sig P220 Carry
6. Sig P229
7. Glock 35
8. Glock 26
9. Smith & Wesson Model 13/65
10. Smith & Wesson Model 640 .357
Thanks a lot for your support & I would like to see a video if someone knows where to find it.
jackg

Life Member: MOPH
Life Member: USMC
Life Member: DAV
Life Member: VVA
Member: NRA
COTEP MEMBER #CBOB0391
DW VBOB
KIMBER ULTRA CDP
KIMBER PRO CRIMSON CARRY
GLOCK 19
S&W 686 SSR
S&W M&P SHIELD

Old 11-08-2009, 09:05 PM   #30

Liked 59 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackg View Post
I'm sorry, I didn't see your earlier posts. Was the Kimber NIB?