Top Ten Carry guns - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Top Ten Carry guns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2009, 11:11 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Hornady offers a defense round that meets and exceeds the FBI penatration requirement of 14 inches. And it is 380 non +p. It is called Critical Defense ,also don't forget Magsafe ammo. It's not the caliber but the ammo selection and how accurately you shoot. Even a 32 acp is deadly in the hands of someone who shoots accurrately and has the right ammo.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:32 PM   #12

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

Walther PPS 40 for cooler weather and Kahr PM9 for warm weather. I am hoping to add a Kahr MK9 in the very near future.

"Honey, can I buy another gun?" "Why another gun?" "I just figured out that I am two guns short of never enough!"

Old 11-03-2009, 12:04 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollander View Post
Walther PPS 40 for cooler weather and Kahr PM9 for warm weather. I am hoping to add a Kahr MK9 in the very near future.
I myself pack a Para Ordnance in a waist pack in the summer and a Galco pancake in the winter in 45 cal. I also carry a KelTec 380 all the time in a pocket holster. I have on order a Sig P238 which is replacing my Colt Mustang Pocketlite. I carry that one in a Don Hume side holster with Magsafe 380's when I want to carry lite to match my wardrobe.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:58 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdemichael2 View Post
It's not the caliber but the ammo selection and how accurately you shoot. Even a 32 acp is deadly in the hands of someone who shoots accurrately and has the right ammo.
A .22 will kill a cow, but it's not what I would take hunting.
Colder weather = thicker clothes
Bigger caliber is needed in winter.
I suggest a S&W M&P .40 or .45 for winter carry.
If I expected trouble I'd rather have one of my rifles, but since a rifle is not easy to conceal I'll carry my M&P .40c in winter.

Old 11-03-2009, 01:34 PM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Thanks

I appreciate all the suggestions coming in and I'm getting a warm & fuzzy about the Kimber 1911, Pro Crimson Carry with crimson trace laser grips. If it had night sites it would be irresistable.
I should check out other 1911 mfgrs.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:43 AM   #16

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 16

here's a "little" snubbie you could carry around in the michigan cold. pretty sure it could also help a little with 4 legged encounters.

the s&w500es

sw500es.jpg  

"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Old 11-05-2009, 02:24 AM   #17

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

My recommendation would be to carry the handgun you are most comfortable shooting. I personally love the .45 round so I carry an XD45 Compact lubed with Miltec (a dry lubricant). Both the XD and Glocks have great reputations for reliability in adverse conditions. As far as a top ten list goes, anything that you can conceal comfortably and shoot comfortably should be considered for your list.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:17 AM   #18
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackg View Post
I'm a newbie to handguns as a hobby & for personal/home protection. USMC Vietnam 1968 combat wounded, VA rated at 100%. Just decided, recently, to be more active. Joined NRA, but perhaps I'm in the wrong place?
You are not in the wrong place, I promise! Sometimes we tend to get overly technical, because we want you to receive the best possible responce to your qusetion(s).

Old 11-06-2009, 01:47 PM   #19

I hate giving innaccurate info but when I posted Hornady Critical Defense 380 acp as penitrating 14 inches , I was wrong. Reread the write ups and it was 10 inches with expansion and thru heavey clothing and in ordance gel. Still more than enough for defense. I do prefer heavy calibers but their are times when they are impractical do to weather and very lightweight clothing in the summer. Any gun is better than no gun and do to advances in ammo our small caliber rounds are much better than in the past. To those of you who will jump on this and quote 45 or 40 I do carry a 45 but their are times that I find it impractical especialy at work with my 380 KelTech in the pocket I still feel adequitely armed. When my Sig P238 arrives I will switch to it and magsafe ammo.

Old 11-06-2009, 02:42 PM   #20
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

These are my everyday carry pistols.

everyday_carry.jpg