Top Ten Carry guns - Page 12
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Top Ten Carry guns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2011, 02:18 AM   #111
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I prefer a Ruger LCP in .380 (7 shot) with a pocket holster. You can comfortably carry this anywhere (in hot weather conditions with shorts, with blue jeans, or during the winter in a coat pocket). My 2nd choice (unless I'm going to a particularly bad city, then it's #1) is the Glock 19 (9mm, 16 shot)with Crimson Trace laser sight. I carry it in a 5.11 tactical holster shirt (no printing) or in a shoulder holster under an open, light shirt or jacket. In the unfortunate circumstance that you have to draw it, the laser gives the perp one last chance to make the right decision and leave you alone. I know a police officer who pulled his piece on a drunk, angry man during an arrest. The guy yelled at him to "bring it on" while staring down the barrel. Once the officer activated the laser, the perp wet his pants and followed the officer's commands to get on the ground.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:21 PM   #112

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT-MILLER
Here's my top 10 list of what I think people should carry:

1. Something that the person will carry everyday, and is very competent with.

2. Something that the person will carry everyday, and is very competent with.

3. Something that the person will carry everyday, and is very competent with.

4. Something that the person will carry everyday, and is very competent with.

5. Something that the person will carry everyday, and is very competent with.

6. Something that the person will carry everyday, and is very competent with.

7. Something that the person will carry everyday, and is very competent with.

8. Something that the person will carry everyday, and is very competent with.

9. Something that the person will carry everyday, and is very competent with.

10. Something that the person will carry everyday, and is very competent with.
I couldn't agree more. I CC my FNP-9.
Why? Cause I carry it everyday & I'm competent with it. Not one time have I
felt "underpowered".

Old 08-26-2011, 08:02 PM   #113

Liked 20 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterOfAnimals
I prefer a Ruger LCP in .380 (7 shot) with a pocket holster. You can comfortably carry this anywhere (in hot weather conditions with shorts, with blue jeans, or during the winter in a coat pocket). My 2nd choice (unless I'm going to a particularly bad city, then it's #1) is the Glock 19 (9mm, 16 shot)with Crimson Trace laser sight. I carry it in a 5.11 tactical holster shirt (no printing) or in a shoulder holster under an open, light shirt or jacket. In the unfortunate circumstance that you have to draw it, the laser gives the perp one last chance to make the right decision and leave you alone. I know a police officer who pulled his piece on a drunk, angry man during an arrest. The guy yelled at him to "bring it on" while staring down the barrel. Once the officer activated the laser, the perp wet his pants and followed the officer's commands to get on the ground.
That's what I like when the perp wets his pants when staring down a laser sighted gun.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:31 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellmaster207 View Post
I couldn't agree more. I CC my FNP-9.
Why? Cause I carry it everyday & I'm competent with it. Not one time have I
felt "underpowered".
Truth be known, you likely won't feel undergunned or underpowered until the BG that you just put a couple of rounds into puts a honkin' .45 into you. I agree you need to carry what is comfy and that you can shoot well, but until the arthritis sets in, mine are going to start with a .4 I think. Watched the watermelon test on Youtube the other day. Hilarious and serious at the same time and reaffirms my passion for larger and faster calibers. Having said all of this, it is still a juggling act between calibers, size, weight, capacity, etc. I know folks that carry full size 1911's steel/steel in .45ACP EDC and are quite happy doing so; and I know folks that are having a tough time with 9mm. plastic. But for those that are members of USCCA I tip my hat to the gal on the recent cover who carries a .22 because that is all she can carry with comfort and shoot well without pain due to arthritis. I have seen plenty dropped with .22's but as the LA coroner's reports say.... a whole lot more drop with .45's and don't get up.

Oh. And the laser sights? HIGHLY recommended. Most TASERS have lasers as you only have one "round". And they are painted yellow or orange generally to indicate as a reminder that you are pulling out a less-than-lethal weapon. The point is that between the laser on the BG's chest and the big yellow TASER, most with their wits about them will back off and many a street brawl has been broken up simply by drawing a TASER and turning the laser sighting on.

Bought a Beretta with a CT laser grip on it and took it to the range. Awesome. Truly awesome (even though the targets didn't wet their pants and lay down). Bought laser grips for a couple of my other guns and am waiting for grips for my Glock 30's. A superb investment.

Last edited by Torontogunguy; 08-26-2011 at 10:37 PM.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:56 PM   #115

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts

Disabled since 68 a revolver may need a look too ?

Old 08-26-2011, 11:06 PM   #116

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts

The whole thing with me and 9mm. After working in industrial plants for 15 yrs my ears are quite sensitive. The largest cal. I can shoot repeatedly without throwing off my equilibrium is my FNH (without hearing protection). The way I look @ it is, High stress scenario BG pulls gun. I pull mine I have a faster ACCURATE 2nd shot. Every once in a while I will shoot 2 rounds with my .45 without hearing protection and my accuracy is toast. I know allot of people say that in a life or death scenario you don't hear the rounds going off. However I don't have allot of people pulling a gun on me so I just feel more comfortable with what I know,shoot &maintain. This tread does have me thinking about trying some sub-sonic in my 1911. Any suggestions or input?

Old 08-26-2011, 11:29 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeyeborn View Post
Disabled since 68 a revolver may need a look too ?
You may want to have a look at some of the newest revolvers. They are .38's and are ALL plastic except for the barrel and the cylinder (and I suppose a few internal parts). Quite light and easy to handle apparently and I noted one that fired from the BOTTOM of the cylinder - keeping the center of gravity low and making the recoil much less flippy.

They are light as a feather and mostly all snubbies I believe so they are presently out of my realm as I need to be able to take them across the border into Canada and back regularly and a barrel under 4.2" is not Canada legal for some reason.

I do hear that they shoot like a cream puff though and am pining to try one out next visit to a US store/range that rents them (Lost Wages here I come!). Wanting to know how that lower center of gravity works out as well. And although .38 is somewhat less that I like to carry, these are so small and light that one could pocket carry with some ease, compensating for the smaller caliber in my mind.

It's better to have and not need than to need and not have. Wondering now if they take .357 loads as well. Have to go up and read the review again.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:37 PM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellmaster207 View Post
The whole thing with me and 9mm. After working in industrial plants for 15 yrs my ears are quite sensitive. The largest cal. I can shoot repeatedly without throwing off my equilibrium is my FNH (without hearing protection). The way I look @ it is, High stress scenario BG pulls gun. I pull mine I have a faster ACCURATE 2nd shot. Every once in a while I will shoot 2 rounds with my .45 without hearing protection and my accuracy is toast. I know allot of people say that in a life or death scenario you don't hear the rounds going off. However I don't have allot of people pulling a gun on me so I just feel more comfortable with what I know,shoot &maintain. This tread does have me thinking about trying some sub-sonic in my 1911. Any suggestions or input?
I shoot 230g Gold Dots in my .45 and yes, it is noisy. If there's one BG it's that first shot that counts the most. Getting back on target and stopping the threat is a close second to be sure. If you can only handle 9mm then 9mm it is - remember that it is better to have and not need than to need and not have. If you can get back on target more quickly with 9mm rounds then that's the way you need to go. In a life or death situation you may or may not hear the shots going off - there is no rule. But, you really need to consider the ability of your ear drums to withstand the noise blasts. The reason you may not hear the shots going off has more to do with the way your brain operates in fight or flight mode.... your eardrums are still taking a beating either way. The 230g Gold Dots are just under 1,000 fps at the muzzle generally, depending on the barrel length of course. 9mm rounds, I do not believe, are much different.

Old 09-05-2011, 01:24 AM   #119

M-60 S&W. 3" .357 Magnum will handle bird shot loads for snakes and 125jhp for other vemin. Weighs as much as glock( empty glock) and real world data still shows perfomance better than 9, 357sig, most 40 and tied with .45 in a more concealable package. You do have to practice to handle recoil, bu contrary to the hoplophobes notions, the gun won't shoot itsself.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:55 AM   #120

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Choice 1 through 9 would be a Glock (pick a model or caliber I have one to fit other than the Glock 18)

Choice 10 would be a Glock.

Choice 11 would be a Smith & Wesson 3" Model 13 or 65 K-Frame .357 Magnum.