Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Top Ten Carry guns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2009, 10:09 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Top Ten Carry guns

Currently carry a Walther PPK/S .380 and really like it but I'm wondering what you guys would recommend as the Top 10 list. Suggestions?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-31-2009, 10:38 PM   #2

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 230

My current CCW is a Stoeger Cougar in 40 S&W it has a 3.6" barrel. It's a great weapon but rather heavy, my wish list for a compact carry would be a Kahr PM40, very conceilable. I have a Bersa model 83 .380, pre Thunder but has a steel frame, it's kind of fat due to walnut grips which makes it about as easy to hide as the Cougar. Compactness always puts a balance of less rounds in the magazine against the high cap mags of a harder to conceil weapon like the Cougar. A lot depends on what kind of clothing you wear, the seasons and if you are like me, too skinny to hide much of anything. For now I use a waist pouch that has a grab tab for quick unzip. The Kahr would be a great inside the waist band hider due to it's flatness.

Old 10-31-2009, 10:40 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Can we narrow the search patterns a bit??

What kind of clothes am I wearing?

Where am I going?

What is the weather like?

Who am I going to be encountering?

Am I protecting just me? Or other people for money??

These are all important factors to this equation....

JD

Old 11-01-2009, 02:16 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Can we narrow the search patterns a bit??

What kind of clothes am I wearing?
Winter in Michigan
Where am I going?
Shopping
What is the weather like?
0-40 degrees
Who am I going to be encountering?
Can't anticipate this, which is why I carry.
Am I protecting just me? Or other people for money??
Could be both.
These are all important factors to this equation....

JD
I'm a newbie to handguns as a hobby & for personal/home protection. USMC Vietnam 1968 combat wounded, VA rated at 100%. Just decided, recently, to be more active. Joined NRA, but perhaps I'm in the wrong place?

Old 11-01-2009, 02:23 PM   #5

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Hard to say, but I don't think there is a better gun board out there. We are just trying to get information so we can better help you. These are the same questions we ask of anyone.

Okay, Michigan Winter, so you have to anticipate that your assailant is going to be dressed in heavy clothing. Multiple layers and at least two will probably be strong cotton or flannel, plus some sort of out coat.

The .380 isn't getting through that. It's going to be a mild annoyance at best.

How big are your hands? Do you were gloves when you are out?

With winter clothing, I really prefer a big, heavy slug. Something that is going to hit hard and penetrate.

A fast moving round like the 9mm will penetrate, but I doubt it's going to do a ton of damage unless you get the 147gr +p and get some good body hits.

.40 cal and .45 are both a good winter round. I personally only carry a 1911 in .45ACP with the 230gr +P jacket hollow points.

Do you like a compact gun? Or do you like a full sized gun? How about a revolver? Any interest?

What handguns interest you? And what have you tried out?

Old 11-01-2009, 02:40 PM   #6

Liked 1413 Times on 807 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Winter carry in MI; I carried a 1911 Government with 8+1. The double tap was a pair of Cor-Bon Power-Ball 185 gr (high velocity will penetrate a windshield and will pass through auto side glass with little deformation). The remaining seven are Hornady 230 gr +P TAP FPD.

I'm comfortable with that.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 11-02-2009, 07:20 AM   #7

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 230

A .380 could likely be a minor annoyance to a large man in light clothing unless even with adrenaline pumping through your veins you could shoot his eyeballs out. Even though I have a .380, to me, I don't think I'd relie on it to do a job that I'm pretty certain that my .40 weapon would accomplish. On the other hand a .380 might give you time to get to a more powerful weapon, which to me is risky.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:57 AM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackg View Post
Currently carry a Walther PPK/S .380 and really like it but I'm wondering what you guys would recommend as the Top 10 list. Suggestions?

1. Dan Wesson CBOB 45acp
2. Springfield EMP40
3. Springfield XD40SC
4. Glock 30 45acp
5. Ruger 44mag snubbie
6. Smith .357mag snubbie
7. ........

Old 11-02-2009, 11:32 AM   #9

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

For cold weather I'd probably opt for a .45 myself. Plenty of nice ones to choose from. For a 1911 I'd recommend a Colt Commander as a solid buy - got mine NIB for $695 a few months back. In a plastic gun, I'd highly recommend an XD .45 Compact - one of the very few plastic guns I own. Carries 10 rounds of .45 in a nice sized package...

Old 11-02-2009, 12:34 PM   #10

I only have a top #1 for reccomendations.

1. Carry the largest caliber firearm that you can reliably use. I carry a Glock 30 and finally a Glock 21 (the 30 is now my BUG).

Note: If you carry a semi-auto hand gun, carry a spare magazine or two for insurance against firearm/ammunition malfunctions. For revolvers, carry an extra speed-loader or speed strip for the very low chance (but still possible) that 5/6 rounds are not enough.

I do have a -infinity reccomendation, too (for personal pretection). Anything smaller than a 9mm.

Last edited by Glock30Owner; 11-02-2009 at 12:37 PM.