Too Large and Too Small? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Too Large and Too Small?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2008, 10:28 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
If your question pertained to the appropriate CALIBER of weapon to carry concealed, then I'd say 9mm or .38 is the lowest you go. .380 autos are a waste IMO. Does anyone own a .380 that DOESN'T jam at some point. Not worth the risk.
In a word, yes. Two actually. The Bernardelli is a 1960's vintage, and has been in the family for twenty years. Oddly enough, it has never jammed in thousands of rounds. The Bersa is less tested, but so far, no jams or failures.

The only jams I've had were in a springer 1911 (turned out to be a defective mag), and a PA-63 (worn out mag). Obviously, neither is a .380. I usually carry a revolver as primary, but wouldn't hesitate to trust either .380 BUG.

As for the OP, I usually suggest carrying as much gun as is comfortable. Otherwise, it ends up staying at home. It won't do much good, in that situation.

Old 07-27-2008, 12:44 AM   #12
PRM

Liked 19 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Too large - too small

Good posts on this one. Personally, if I have to use a gun in self defense, I figure it will be close up and missing won't be an issue. I would not count on one shot to stop the threat, regardless of calibre. I have generally found smaller guns are better for ccw in warmer weather. Larger ones carry well in colder weather with bigger garments (coats).

Reminds me of a story a sheriff once told about attending a social function armed with his pistol. A lady asked him if "he was expecting trouble?" "No maam," he replied, "If I was expecting trouble I would have brought my rifle"

The best gun is the one you have with you.

Old 07-29-2008, 11:37 PM   #13

I was carrying a colt 1911 since 1987 when I received my permit till two years ago when my wife gave me a sig P220 for Christmas. I live in Florida and sure it gets hot here but no problem with a big gun. I’m 5’10”, 175lbs and cover up with a light weight button down shirt left unbutton. I use a Galco Miami Classic shoulder holster. I’ve never had a problem as far as concealing, even when I take the family to Disney. But please, don’t tell anyone at Disney you are carrying, they don’t like it.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:06 PM   #14

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

That depends on you. What works best for anyone else, won't necessarily work best for you. Go to a well stocked gun shop, or gun show and see which one strikes your fancy. Caliber wise, my personal minimum caliber is 9mm. There are many small handguns on the market these days which are large caliber.

I personally have no problem carrying a full size .45 acp, but do not feel undergunned with a light weight snubby .38 with good ammo in my right front pocket.

Try some on, and if you can take 'em for a test drive.

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 09-06-2008, 12:21 AM   #15

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineffable View Post
Much depends on YOU. I always wear shorts so If I plan on sticking a gun down there, I have to worry about them falling to the ground and giving John Q. Public a thrill. Obviously, I have to come up with more creative means to carry. Shoulder holsters are great for nearly any size of weapon you plan to carry.

If your question pertained to the appropriate CALIBER of weapon to carry concealed, then I'd say 9mm or .38 is the lowest you go. .380 autos are a waste IMO. Does anyone own a .380 that DOESN'T jam at some point. Not worth the risk.
My AMT Backup will jam if I have a slack wrist, like any other auto-loader will. Once every 200-250 rounds, but I haven't polished the feed ramp in quite a while.

But on this theme, does anyone have a website which explains CC options and equipment examples?

Old 09-06-2008, 03:12 AM   #16

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom98915 View Post
Too large is what you cannot conceal in a practical and comfortable manner. Too small? Anything smaller than you can carry is too small. The army did a lot of tests on small vs large caliber ammo. Obviously the .45 won due to its bullet weight, size and ability to knock down. But that's my opinion. One thing that's most important regardless of size - shot placement.

A few years back a long time friend of mine who was a military policeman had an ordeal with just that. He went to pick up a deserter at a bar who was a great big Samoan guy (he said this guy was around 300lbs) that pulled a knife on him. The bar owner shot the guy 6 times in the chest with a .38 revolver and the guy did NOT go down. My friend pulled out his .45 auto and dropped the guy in his tracks with one shot.

Comments anyone?
Shot placement is important no matter what round you are using. It is more important with small rounds though. A guy I knew from high school recently took a .45 to the chest. The bullet deflected off of his sternum and took out most of his liver. He called the front office of the high school where he was a coach and started the lock down and got help. He is coaching at Baylor University now. The BG is in jail and I hope he rots there.

Old 09-06-2008, 11:39 AM   #17
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Any gun left behind must be TOO BIG...

Any gun in your hand when NEEDED is probably perfect.

Any gun you can't hit with may be useless...

Sometimes I carry a Makarov 380, other times I carry a CZ 83 380, many times I carry a CZ 75B 40 S&W. It's not so much WHAT you carry, but the fact that you should ALWAYS carry... and get proficient with all carry guns.

Last edited by Mark F; 09-06-2008 at 11:51 AM.

Old 09-06-2008, 12:02 PM   #18
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorknoids View Post
My AMT Backup will jam if I have a slack wrist, like any other auto-loader will. Once every 200-250 rounds, but I haven't polished the feed ramp in quite a while.

But on this theme, does anyone have a website which explains CC options and equipment examples?
+10 for you. I have several 380's. While I'm not 100% confident in the 380 caliber in general, they do carry comfortably. My CZ 83 (380 caliber) has been 100% reliable regardless of brand and type of ammo. It is a 12+1 capacity and its deadly accurate. My Russian Makarov (also 380) is an 8+1 and it's been 100% reliable for over 22 years now.

As carry guns go, these are the ONLY TWO 380's I totally trust with my life... the rest are un-reliable for FTF, FTE, and you'll end up DOA.

Old 09-07-2008, 03:27 PM   #19

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

My carry gun is 10 yr. old FEG PMK380. It's a Walther clone and can produce 2-4" groups at 15 yds (if you can see the sights!) It only jams with Hornady truncated cone bullets - so I don't use them. It has never failed to feed or eject with 95gr. Speer GDHP ammo. As far as stopping power, the data says that 70gr. Glaser Blue or Cor-Bon 90gr. HP offer 75% and 70% one-shot stops,respectrively. Considering the magazine holds 8 rds, I figure I have 4 opportunities to get it right. I would rather carry a .380 and not know it's there, than carry a 2lb piece of steel for a modest 10 -20% gain in one-shot stopping power.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 09-07-2008 at 03:30 PM.

Old 09-07-2008, 11:46 PM   #20

I have a Walther PPK/S. IMHO it is a POS. Jammed hard after 75 rounds of stock harball ammo and had to be sent back to S&W for repair. It took me three weeks to talk to a person and another 4 to get it fixed. Crummy pistol; crummy service and support. Anyone thinking about a Walther should get their head examined -- too many good options.