Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Too Large and Too Small?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2007, 04:54 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Too Large and Too Small?

What would you consider too large for ccw and what is too small?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-17-2007, 08:48 PM   #2

Too large is what you cannot conceal in a practical and comfortable manner. Too small? Anything smaller than you can carry is too small. The army did a lot of tests on small vs large caliber ammo. Obviously the .45 won due to its bullet weight, size and ability to knock down. But that's my opinion. One thing that's most important regardless of size - shot placement.

A few years back a long time friend of mine who was a military policeman had an ordeal with just that. He went to pick up a deserter at a bar who was a great big Samoan guy (he said this guy was around 300lbs) that pulled a knife on him. The bar owner shot the guy 6 times in the chest with a .38 revolver and the guy did NOT go down. My friend pulled out his .45 auto and dropped the guy in his tracks with one shot.

Comments anyone?

Tom98915
NRA member

Last edited by tom98915; 05-17-2007 at 08:54 PM.

Old 05-18-2007, 02:38 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by firearmy View Post
What would you consider too large for ccw and what is too small?
First, too large is anything that you end up leaving at home because it's a pain in the butt to carry for any reason.

Second, too small is any gun with a power level under .38 Special.

PS- I have never seen anyone take more than two hits center mass from a .38 spec. that didn't go down, I have seen a MA. State Trooper use all eighteen rounds of .38 spec.'s that he was carrying about twenty years ago on a 360 lb. man, the guy went down after the last shot, none of the hits were to the heart or lungs, his fat ate most of them.
The shots were traded at about 20 or so feet distance from each shooter, if you are going to carry, you need to learn to hit what you aim at.
Probabley the best known gunfighter of American history was Bill Hickock, who gave this advice, don't worry about what the other guy is doing, "take diliberate aim, and take time to shoot, in a hurry".

I have a lot of favorites, the 1911's, mod. 19 S&W, I have a custom mod. 59 that is thirty years old, had thousands of rounds thru and has never failed me, a five shot mod.60 3" in .357mag that's a bear, my carry gun is a SS 642 airweight .38 spec. it's light enough and small enough to carry all day long, and it's powerfull enough to get most jobs done, if I do my part, and it's easy to care for.

Old 07-15-2008, 02:06 PM   #4

I CCW a Kel Tec P-32 (32 ACP) with a laser sight and a ten round magazine. I wouldn't go any smaller if I were you. It's a better back up gun than it is a primary, but it is so easy to conceal and is very, very reliable. I do have a S&W 357 Magnum that I carry when the conditions are right for it. But damn, it's like carrying around a boat anchor.

Bottom line, I'd rather have a 32 in a battle with a BG than a 357 at home.

Old 07-15-2008, 02:20 PM   #5

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Too many variables to give you a definite answer on this one TS.

How big is your frame? How big are your hands? What is your level of training? What is your comfort level with handguns? Where do you live and what clothing do you wear regularly during the times when you would be carrying?

A .32 isn't going to do you much good against a guy dressed in long johns, three shirts and a parka because it's 18 below in Minnesota.

A .45 isn't going to do you much good if you can't carry it because it's pulling your shorts down around your knees while walking the beaches in Miami.

JD

Old 07-15-2008, 05:13 PM   #6

Yep you're gonna look real odd on the verge of a heat stroke just cause you have to run around with your "Dirty Harry Special" in a southwest summer wearing your coat , and digging through your pockets for your Keltec in winter with bullets flying everywhere isn't a good idea either .

Old 07-19-2008, 07:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Too many variables to give you a definite answer on this one TS.

How big is your frame? How big are your hands? What is your level of training? What is your comfort level with handguns? Where do you live and what clothing do you wear regularly during the times when you would be carrying?

A .32 isn't going to do you much good against a guy dressed in long johns, three shirts and a parka because it's 18 below in Minnesota.

A .45 isn't going to do you much good if you can't carry it because it's pulling your shorts down around your knees while walking the beaches in Miami.

JD
Well said JD there is just to many damn variables that come into play

IN A WORLD OF COMPROMISE SOME DON'T H&K
GOD BLESS THE SECOND AMENDMENT :D :D
GOD BLESS THE NRA :D :D
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
VOTE PRO GUN ONLY
SUPPORT THE SECOND AMENDMENT

Old 07-20-2008, 01:55 PM   #8

There are guidelines for too big: Most people won't CCW a handgun with a 6" barrel. As far as caliber goes? Today, it can be anything from 22 lr. to 10mm. (And, often is!) Most people, also, start to become uncomfortable when carrying more than 2 1/2#'s of metal (40 oz) on one side of their belts.

Is there any such thing as too small? No, not when it's a backup piece. You can successfully defend yourself at an ATM with a 22 caliber derringer. (However, if you need to pull it then you're, also, going to have to use it quickly before your assailant moves out of range in order to reengage!) What you aren't going to do with a mouse gun is, something like, stop a bank robbery or successfully engage multiple assailants. My own rule-of-thumb for, a 'small handgun' is when a knife suddenly appears to be more useful.

Myself? I frequently carry a 32 acp semiautomatic. Can it be used effectively? You bet it can; but, primarily on one individual who's at or inside 12 yards. Whatever handgun you carry you should be able to use it to consistently place a minimum of 5 rounds into a 6" circle at 21 feet. If you can't do this then, maybe, you need to be carrying a different gun or else hiring a bodyguard.

Last edited by G21.45; 07-20-2008 at 01:58 PM.

Old 07-21-2008, 02:51 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Much depends on YOU. I always wear shorts so If I plan on sticking a gun down there, I have to worry about them falling to the ground and giving John Q. Public a thrill. Obviously, I have to come up with more creative means to carry. Shoulder holsters are great for nearly any size of weapon you plan to carry.

If your question pertained to the appropriate CALIBER of weapon to carry concealed, then I'd say 9mm or .38 is the lowest you go. .380 autos are a waste IMO. Does anyone own a .380 that DOESN'T jam at some point. Not worth the risk.

Old 07-21-2008, 05:25 PM   #10

What kind of 380 auto are you shooting?

My German-made Walther PPK-S has never jammed in more than 30 years of use. The big thing I don't like about 9mm kurz pistols is that they are all blowback operated and, for their size and caliber, tend to kick like a mule!

My other principal objection to 380 caliber and under handgun cartridges is their use severely restricts the distance at which you can effectively engage a target; but, let's face it, 5 or 6 rounds to the head is going to stop anyone; and, inside 10 yards, you should be able to do that with your mouse gun - Right!

(This is the main reason, 'Why' I carry a 32 acp Beretta, 'Alley Cat' as a BUG with its pronounced wide backstrap rather than the more prestigious - but also much narrower framed - Seecamp. That nice wide backstrap on the Beretta enables me to more accurately place my shots over distance! As a matter of fact I'm able to transition from a full-size Glock to a much smaller, 'Tom Cat' without so much as blinking. My first shots will NOT be off; and, it's all because of Beretta's wide backstrap.)

Last edited by G21.45; 07-21-2008 at 05:28 PM.