Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   TN- Advice on Carrying Permit. Will I be Denied ??? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/tn-advice-carrying-permit-will-i-denied-19091/)

bftiedt 10-13-2009 03:21 AM

TN- Advice on Carrying Permit. Will I be Denied ???

First off i would like to say great forum. Now, I have been wanting to get a carrying permit since i boought my firearm back in Jan. There is a class this sat. at my local range and I am thinking about going and signing up . The problem I am having is I dont want to waste my money if i am not going to be approved when I send in my application. I am 21 years old and currently have 3 blemishes on my record, nothing all that serious though. I looked them up on my local government site and this is what i have listed.

1.Charged/Cited Offense(s) / Convicted/Disposition / Date
Poss. of Alcohol <21 / Dismissed-Costs to Defendant / 01/29/07

2.Charged/Cited Offense(s) / Convicted/Disposition / Date
Consumpt. Alc. < 21 / Dismissed / 01/29/07

3.Charged/Cited Offense(s) / Convicted/Disposition / Date
Poss.or Casual Exch. / Dismissed-Costs to Defendant / 12/01/08

My question is does anyone think this would be enough to deny my application. I do not have enough experience with carrying permits and the way they accept/deny to know for sure and the last ting i want to do is shell out $200 to be told no. I know each state is different but if anyone can offer any advice to a fairly new firearms owner is would be greatly appreciated.

PS - I know the charges are a little hard to read but i couldnt get them to line up right. they are listed in rows reading top to bottom then left to right. Sorry.

layton 10-13-2009 05:44 AM

The best thing would be for you to get a copy of your States regulations about CHL.Your local DPS should have them, or tell you where you can get the book.

Layton

dunerunner 10-13-2009 05:51 AM

It doesn't look to me as if there were ever any convictions. Dismissals, all misdemeanors, follow Layton's advise and get information on your States concealed carry law to be sure.

Gojubrian 10-13-2009 07:14 AM

Talk to someone with legal knowledge in YOUR state.

I wouldn't give you one. :)

Jess 10-13-2009 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojubrian (Post 173456)
Talk to someone with legal knowledge in YOUR state.

I wouldn't give you one. :)

I'm going to have to agree. However the class is still worth your while even for protecting yourself in your home. It should also help you to familiarize yourself with current laws relevant to your area. If your class is like mine was.

Jo da Plumbr 10-13-2009 01:25 PM

And then maybe an AA meeting.:D:rolleyes::D

Glock30Owner 10-13-2009 01:59 PM

TN will only deny a HCP based on convictions.

Here is the text of the HCP Law:

39-17-1351. Handgun carry permits.

ninjatoth 10-13-2009 09:19 PM

I got into a physical struggle with my mom when I was 17,and somehow they charged me with "spousal abuse".It was on my record almost 12 years after that when I went to buy a handgun and I was denied.Then,the people at the sherriffs office called the courts,and sure enough,there was a note on my file that said if I didn't repeat the offense in a years' time,the charges would be dismissed.So,the courts took it off my record instantly(almost 11 years too late)But they took it off,and I was within 5 minutes cleared to buy a handgun.So,my point it,if they are dismissed charges,they don't exist.Dismissed means that they charged you,then decided not to charge you,making you free and clear just as if it never happened.So,you should be fine.

skullcrusher 10-13-2009 10:08 PM

"Spousal Abuse" with your mother?!!! Nice respect for the ladies. In my world, you would NEVER have legal access to any firearm or knife!!

Women can be trouble, never marry your Mother, Oedipus.

ninjatoth 10-13-2009 10:22 PM

[QUOTE]--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Spousal Abuse" with your mother?!!! Nice respect for the ladies. In my world, you would NEVER have legal access to any firearm or knife!!

Women can be trouble, never marry your Mother, Oedipus. [/QUOwhy are you even on a website to try to help people with their questions?I really don't want to be in "your world".

For anyone that is curious,my mother tried to overpower and take the car keys out of my hand when I was 17,so I pushed her off of me,not knowing my strength,and she happened to trip,so she called the police out of anger,and I somehow got charged with "spousal abuse"but the charges were dropped.