Thumb breaks?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Thumb breaks?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2010, 06:30 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
KBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 136
Default Thumb breaks?

How many of you use thumb breaks on your CCW rigs? My main carry weapon is an XD40sc; it rides in a desantis pro stealth holster w/ thumb break. when I practice drawing, i'm much slower with the break than without it. Problem is, I worry about leaning over and my gun falling out of its holster when im out and about. Anyone have any similar issues and/or solutions they can share? Or recommend a better IWB holster?

__________________

Last edited by KBlue; 01-26-2010 at 06:34 PM.
KBlue is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 01-26-2010, 07:37 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
IGETEVEN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tornado \"Just Blow Me\" Alley,Oklahoma U.S.A.
Posts: 8,424
Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Default

Just say "NO" to thumb breaks for CC and IWB holsters. I personally think they are better suited and work well on open carry holsters. I carry and use a Super Tuck Deluxe IWB holster with all three of my carry weapons (firearms), and I can be pretty active at times. I have never had a problem with any of my firearms ever dislodging or falling out, but that's just me and my opinion.

SuperTuck Deluxe

Jack

__________________
Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”
IGETEVEN is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:16 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,152
Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

Default

Jack, you're getting as bad as Robo in answering threads. You present all the logical facts available and no more needs to be said...

__________________
NGIB is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 04:52 PM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
KBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 136
Default

Thanks for your feedback, guys.


Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
Just say "NO" to thumb breaks for CC and IWB holsters. I personally think they are better suited and work well on open carry holsters. I carry and use a Super Tuck Deluxe IWB holster with all three of my carry weapons (firearms), and I can be pretty active at times. I have never had a problem with any of my firearms ever dislodging or falling out, but that's just me and my opinion.

SuperTuck Deluxe

Jack
I've seen others mention Crossbreed holsters and their awesomeness, especially for XDs. Does the supertuck sit right @ 3 o'clock (or 9 if youre lefty)? thats the other thing i dont really like about my current CCW rig, I'm a lefty shooter, and my holster is at the 8 o'clock position. its not very comfortable in the car or watching tv at a friend's.
__________________
KBlue is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:59 PM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
canebrake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 150 miles NE of Sloppy Joe's Bar
Posts: 21,941
Liked 1423 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBlue View Post
I've seen others mention Crossbreed holsters and their awesomeness, especially for XDs. Does the supertuck sit right @ 3 o'clock (or 9 if youre lefty)? thats the other thing i dont really like about my current CCW rig, I'm a lefty shooter, and my holster is at the 8 o'clock position. its not very comfortable in the car or watching tv at a friend's.
First, if your gun falls out of your holster, you've got the wrong holster!

Second, you wear the xbreed where you want, which is usually where it's most comfortable.

My super-tuck is the ugliest, albeit the most comfortable holster I own!

It's the only holster I have found that allows me to carry a government 5" comfortably year-round here in South Florida.



Oh yea, thumb breaks are for service carry! NOT CCWs!!!
__________________
http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...brake02jpg.jpg

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Last edited by canebrake; 01-27-2010 at 06:07 PM.
canebrake is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:17 PM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
KBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 136
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
First, if your gun falls out of your holster, you've got the wrong holster!

Second, you wear the xbreed where you want, which is usually where it's most comfortable.

My super-tuck is the ugliest, albeit the most comfortable holster I own!

Oh yea, thumb breaks are for service carry! NOT CCWs!!!

It's the only holster I have found that allows me to carry a government 5" comfortably year-round here in South Florida.
it hasnt actually fallen out, and the gun fits the holster fine. It's just that without the thumb break i worry about the possibility. Either way, I'll be ordering from Crossbreed as soon as i have the $. stupid unemployment
pro_stealth.jpg  
__________________
KBlue is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
United Breaks Guitars dunerunner The Club House 5 12-20-2009 04:33 PM
More about top-breaks.......... Bob Wright Revolver Handguns 0 03-13-2009 04:17 PM
If the FBI breaks sculker The Club House 5 01-16-2008 12:24 AM
muzzle breaks MaltoDotMil AR-15 Discussion 3 08-30-2007 10:13 AM