Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Thoughts on Derringers for CCW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2012, 05:08 PM   #21
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 47 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by undumb View Post
Sorry about that, but because I don't carry a desert eagle .50, a sawed off shot gun, and a .44 magnum as a boot gun I am accused of not taking personal protection seriously, this happens on a regular basis. I'm not a LEO, I don't purposely put myself in harms way, and not everyone is a strung-out meth head. I am comfortable with my level of preparedness.
Again, I don't carry a derringer but I have friends that do... It is better than nothing!
They certainly are...

I forgot to mention that my NAA .22 Mag. PUG holds 5 rounds. I do have a Smith & Wesson Bodyguard .380 I carry occasionally as well as my Kimber, but my 5 shot NAA .22 Magnum PUG goes everywhere.

Old 01-08-2012, 07:21 PM   #22

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Sorry, I didn't take time to read the whole three pages here, but in Alaska your concealed handgun permit states that pistols MAY NOT have multiple barrels and SHALL HAVE a trigger guard. Seems specifically designed to rule out deringers to me.

Old 01-08-2012, 08:00 PM   #23

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 764

i CCW my 22mag derringer to work.

i CCW everything from a 5 shot NAA 22lr mini revolver to a AR pistol any other time...just depends on where im going

Old 01-08-2012, 10:41 PM   #24
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 47 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
Sorry, I didn't take time to read the whole three pages here, but in Alaska your concealed handgun permit states that pistols MAY NOT have multiple barrels and SHALL HAVE a trigger guard. Seems specifically designed to rule out deringers to me.
It would appear so.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:44 AM   #25

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I have a 22mag derringer as a pocket rocket. I always carry it in the woods, generally in the truck and sometimes elsewhere. I keep it in a little bitty holster that has a 4 round slot. I keep 2 semi-jacketed hollow points in it, 2 more with it and 2 #12 shotshells with it. It's more or less a snake/other gun. Took a squirrell with it while sitting in the deer stand on opening morning. Worked great. But for me to want it as a self defence handgun, it'd be my absolute last resort.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:00 AM   #26

Liked 69 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Thanks for all thoughts on this, but it seems that most people that downgrade a Derringer, is ones that think that I'm gonna carry one in 22lr or 22mag(which is actually quite powerful), BUT I'm carrying one in 38SPL, which is more than adequate for most situations I'll put myself into(which a person never knows). Also found that here in Missouri, a person DOES NOT require a permit to carry a pistol in their vehicle, only need permit with them while carrying, when out of vehicle. I still have my Bersa 380 if I feel need for more rounds when up in KC.
Del

Old 01-10-2012, 03:00 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumphman
I've read many posts on many sites about what some people use as carrying guns for CCW. It seems that nobody wants a simple to use Derringer nowadays for ease of concealment or stopping power that is offered in Today's Derringer of 22mag, 38spl, 45LC and a few other calibers. True, they may only offer 2 shots, and are quite the handful in anything above 32 caliber, but a semiauto 9mm is quite the handful when built on a small framework, and as with any gun, you gain confidence and proficency with practicing, where it shouldn't take 10 shots to prove you can kill a bad guy that is there to harm you and only standing 10 foot in front of you. I like my little Bersa 380, but I've found that my little Cobra 38Special is so much easier to operate, hide(especially in summer with light clothing, and get to quicker. Anybody else carry a Derringer as their Everyday type defense?
Del
I was thinking about buying a cobra .380 for a little bug for my everyday carry but I heard bad things about them does yours jam our have any other things Wrong with it. Thanks

Old 01-10-2012, 03:34 AM   #28

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

As stated its better than nothing , I have a .22 mag NAA 5 shot revlover I carry when I don't have a better option Id take it over a Derringer of any cal any day. There are just to many better options out there.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:41 AM   #29

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 94

I have a 22lr derringer, and is always near when at home. In my hands, its a lot more accurate than most, (that haven't seen it fire,) will give it credit for.

Every weapon has its place; just like a shuriken is not intended to be a man stopping weapon... not that is can't be.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:38 PM   #30

Liked 69 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock27SC View Post
I was thinking about buying a cobra .380 for a little bug for my everyday carry but I heard bad things about them does yours jam our have any other things Wrong with it. Thanks
Mine hasn't jammed on me, and maybe it's what I first did to it when I got it. I took it apart down to trigger/hammer mechanism(I left those alone). After getting all apart, I cleaned/lightlyoiled it real good, and when I put it back together, I "LOCK-TITED"(blue) all screws. It seemed that with just handling this piece, the grip screws(optional Rosewood grips which is thicker for better hand grip), barrel hinge screw, barrel chamber locking lever screw were loosening up, so with using Lock-tite it has kept the screws in place and gun performs flawlessly. As to my Bersa 380, it has jammed on me, but that's due to it not being broke in yet---still working on it and it's getting better with use.
Del